Archive for Friday, March 23, 2012

Saturday compost sale canceled after city sells out on Friday

March 23, 2012

The city of Lawrence has canceled its spring compost sale for Saturday after a large crowd snapped up all of the city’s compost supply on Friday.

The city loaded more than 600 trucks and trailers with compost on Friday as part of its twice-annual sale that provides the gardening material for $10 per pick up load.

The city plans to conduct another sale of compost, which is made from broken-down leaves and grass clippings collected through the city’s yard waste program, in the fall.

Comments

consumer1 1 year, 12 months ago

Do those of you who harrassed me when I made a comment about the compost being distributed during the week. When SOME OF US actually have jobs???? Just to refresh your memories, there will be plenty left quit complaining. Hmmmmmm.

dozer 2 years ago

Guess that landscaping truck spreading compost at Bella Serra yesterday was just a coincidence then, and the same goes for the other truck I saw spreading compost on Wakarusa. You won't have a lot of repeat visitors when you send each one of your employees in a seperate truck.

impska 2 years ago

I was there around noon and there was a very long line. I didn't see any landscape companies and I overheard one of the workers say that they weren't seeing a lot of repeat visitors. There were a couple of farmers in line and what I'd definitely consider to be dump trucks (even though the city says no dump-truck quantities).

But I really think they ran out because a lot of people turned up to get compost. The vast majority of people who go each year are normal people with normal sized trucks or trailers, plus a few self-loaders. And that was certainly true this Spring.

dozer 2 years ago

I am sick of the landcaping companies with their trucks and trailers taking all the compost, why doesn't the city tell them no?

patkindle 2 years ago

suck it up george money talks in lawrence ks

patkindle 2 years ago

suck it up george money talks in lawrence ks

George_Braziller 2 years ago

Supposedly it wasn't available for commercial use but somehow Lawrence Landscape managed to score a huge truck overflowing with it.

patkindle 2 years ago

great for the city, $6000.00 and no saturday overtime way to got

Rachael Sudlow 2 years ago

it was empty (and almost cleared out) by 2pm when we got there. Much more chunky of compost this year!

blindrabbit 2 years ago

Could not believe the line at 7:45 this morning! Must have been a couple hundred vehicles lined up on east 11th Street. Will wait till Fall, lines much shorter then!