Archive for Friday, March 23, 2012

Saturday compost sale canceled after city sells out on Friday

March 23, 2012

The city of Lawrence has canceled its spring compost sale for Saturday after a large crowd snapped up all of the city’s compost supply on Friday.

The city loaded more than 600 trucks and trailers with compost on Friday as part of its twice-annual sale that provides the gardening material for $10 per pick up load.

The city plans to conduct another sale of compost, which is made from broken-down leaves and grass clippings collected through the city’s yard waste program, in the fall.

Comments

blindrabbit 2 years, 9 months ago

Could not believe the line at 7:45 this morning! Must have been a couple hundred vehicles lined up on east 11th Street. Will wait till Fall, lines much shorter then!

patkindle 2 years, 9 months ago

great for the city, $6000.00 and no saturday overtime way to got

George_Braziller 2 years, 9 months ago

Supposedly it wasn't available for commercial use but somehow Lawrence Landscape managed to score a huge truck overflowing with it.

patkindle 2 years, 9 months ago

suck it up george money talks in lawrence ks

patkindle 2 years, 9 months ago

suck it up george money talks in lawrence ks

dozer 2 years, 9 months ago

I am sick of the landcaping companies with their trucks and trailers taking all the compost, why doesn't the city tell them no?

impska 2 years, 9 months ago

I was there around noon and there was a very long line. I didn't see any landscape companies and I overheard one of the workers say that they weren't seeing a lot of repeat visitors. There were a couple of farmers in line and what I'd definitely consider to be dump trucks (even though the city says no dump-truck quantities).

But I really think they ran out because a lot of people turned up to get compost. The vast majority of people who go each year are normal people with normal sized trucks or trailers, plus a few self-loaders. And that was certainly true this Spring.

dozer 2 years, 9 months ago

Guess that landscaping truck spreading compost at Bella Serra yesterday was just a coincidence then, and the same goes for the other truck I saw spreading compost on Wakarusa. You won't have a lot of repeat visitors when you send each one of your employees in a seperate truck.

impska 2 years, 9 months ago

I didn't say that they don't go at all. In fact, Lawrence Landscape gets called out every year - I don't know if that's because they have highly recognizable trucks or because they are truly the worst offenders. But I would think the guy working there would have noticed ten Lawrence Landscape trucks, given the fact that each one is emblazoned with their logo.

What I do know is this: At noon, there were probably 75 unique vehicles waiting for compost - not one with a landscape logo. And the line was as long when I arrived as when I left, meaning a constant flow of traffic. The first poster said there were around 100 early in the morning. That's a lot of people. The line was so long that people gave up and went home at the sight of it.

Even if landscaping companies got one hundred truckloads for their customers (your post suggests that people were hiring them to go get the compost, as opposed to them storing it somewhere and hoarding it), that's still a fraction of what regular citizens were able to pick up.