Archive for Friday, March 23, 2012

8 indicted in Oxycodone trafficking case

March 23, 2012

A grand jury in Kansas City, Kan., has returned a superseding indictment against eight Ottawa residents accusing them of conspiring to distribute and possession with intent to distribute Oxycodone over more than two years beginning in January 2010.

According to U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom’s office, Ottawa residents Connie Edwards, 60; Brandi Bevins, 30; Shirley Price, 44; Angela Mitchell, 35; Tamara Ledom, 36; Brittany Edwards, 19; Dustin Price, 23; and Joel Keith Price, 54, are all charged in the indictment.

In addition, Edwards is charged with three counts of distribution of Oxycodone, conspiracy to commit money laundering and two counts of maintaining a residence to further drug trafficking in the 400 block of South Sycamore Street and 800 block of South Lincoln Street. Price is charged with eight counts of distribution and one count of maintaining a residence to further drug trafficking in the 1000 block of South Locust Street. Mitchell faces charges of maintaining a residence to further drug trafficking at all three residences and one count of conspiracy to commit money laundering.

Comments

Bob Forer 2 years ago

RonHolzwarth wrote: "Sorry, I'm said to be very intelligent, a genus for sure. So I suppose I have the right to be arrogant."

Most intelligent people are comfortable enough in their own skin to refrain from belittling others or boasting about their intellect. Sounds like you have a lot of inner demons to deal with. I am sorry you are unhappy and wish you the best in bolstering your emotional IQ.

JackMcKee 2 years ago

Ottawa is such a trashy town.

classclown 2 years ago

What I don't understand is why is there a market for this stuff anyway?

I took it after having surgery and while I did get addicted to it, it's not like I ever got high from it. All it did was make the pain not as bad.

I can understand people smoking dope or taking acid or what have you, but this stuff doesn't do anything to you like those drugs. It's just pain medicine.

So what's the attraction?

Richard Payton 2 years ago

I heard a talk radio guy say more people are in jail in the United States than any other country. I haven't researched this so I'm not certain if this statement is true or not?

classclown 2 years ago

You guys leave him alone. Shouldn't you think it's nice we have our very own Forrest Gump here? Aren't you amazed that we have someone to enthrall us on practically every article with his stories about his personal life that always relate to every single thing that's printed in this paper/website?

It's wonderful to have an expert on absolutely every subject that comes up here isn't it?

Remember, life is like a box of chocolates.

whatthehell 2 years ago

Illegal distribution of prescription drugs is no small problem and causes all of the problems discussed as related to crimes, od's, mental health issues etc. This must be investigated with the same vigor as any crime. The thing is, the investigators need to get to the sources of the drug and go hard after them. These people involved should be fined, required to cooperate in further investigation, required to be subjected to regular testing, regular and unschedule in-home visits to make sure they are "out" of the business, perhaps sentenced to "half-way" house style confinement but NOT incarcerated unless three-time losers / habitual criminals.

donttreadonme 2 years ago

Likely the cost of incarceration will exceed any actual damages caused by individuals indicted. But it is more important to protect Big Pharma profits and our national nanny state than it is to have a rational public policy.

If a rich celebrity, aka Rush Limbaugh, does the same thing, then it's not a big deal.

The reality is the material cost of these drugs is pennies, so why should my tax dollars be used to give these folks three hots and a cot for years?

jhawkinsf 2 years ago

Hey Ron - Have you ever read the book "The Eden Express" by Mark Vonnegut? (yes, Kurt's son). He writes of his experience as a fairly normal, upper middle class hippie kid, graduates college in the '60's and goes off to Canada with some friends to live in a commune. While there, he tries LSD for the first time. It triggers a psychotic reaction, he having a borderline schizophrenia that he managed to live with. He then spent the next several years in and out (mostly in) psychiatric institutions.
I mention this because the reason LSD is illegal is not because of the 99 people who will use it and have no problems. It's illegal because of the 1 person who will experience this sort of problem. Would you care to guess the cost of a several year commitment in a psychiatric hospital? Would you care to guess at the cost of treatment facilities? Would you care to guess at the very high numbers that relapse after treatment, necessitating treatment again, and again? Care to guess at the lost productivity of these individuals who use drugs? Care to guess what we could be spending that money on if we didn't have to spend so much on hospitalization, treatment, etc.? Care to guess at the health care costs of drug users as they abuse not only drugs, but their own bodies? Care to guess who will pick up the tab for this? When mentioning the cost of incarceration, please address the costs I mentioned. Compare them. Then tell me one costs so much more than the other. But just saying incarceration costs "X" amount of dollars without giving the other costs doesn't really help much.

Shane Garrett 2 years ago

Ron I agree with your points mostly. I listened to NPR on the way to work today, and they were talking about the Popes' visit to Mexico and the Narco-war in that country. I guess there will be a truce for three days instead of a pile of dead bodies or a line of heads in front of the state building. My thought was, while these drugs are bad... cocaine, meth, pills, ect. would the cost be less if it were legal and controlled by the state? I think the answer is yes. However, would we the people become like some science fiction movie all zombies droning on for our next fix of zoma?

ottawaway 2 years ago

There is a little more to this story which actually hasn't come out yet. This Edward's woman was obtaining all these drug's frauduently through Medicare. Through the stories I have been hearing this woman was going to several counties and somehow getting perscriptions filled illegally. This woman has found many way's to get around the system for many year's. It all caught up to her when Medicare noticed what she was doing through their records.

Pywacket 2 years ago

Marijuana is not addictive, Ron. Not anywhere in the same ballpark.

trinity 2 years ago

Good grief....don't bump your head when you fall off that high horse of yours, Ron...what a windbag. Oxy(unprescribed, misused) is such a nasty nasty drug, and the people who get caught up in it on all sides are often a mess.

The_Original_Bob 2 years ago

"srj (anonymous) says… So your saying nobody ever gets "assaulted, burglarized, murdered, raped, or robbed" by people either on or trying to come up with the money to try Oxycodone?"

Ron has obviously never seen Justified.

observant 2 years ago

Checked list of those indicted, surprised Rush wasn't on list.

xclusive85 2 years ago

Ron, I generally enjoy reading what you write on this forum. Today, however, I have to agree that I am finding you more than a little arrogant. Perhaps someone named bozo hacked your account?

Anyway, I think you may have contradicted yourself just a bit. You say that if drugs were decriminalized it would not be necessary to commit crimes to come up with money to buy them. In the same post, you say that people steal to get cigarettes and alcohol, which are legal.

Steve Jacob 2 years ago

So your saying nobody ever gets "assaulted, burglarized, murdered, raped, or robbed" by people either on or trying to come up with the money to try Oxycodone? Less drugs on the streets, the safer we are.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years ago

There's something very important left out of this article, and that is what is the cost of this for the taxpayers? There are no victims mentioned. No one was assaulted, burglarized, murdered, raped, or robbed.

Investigations, arrests, possible trials, and incarceration cost a whole lot of money. I was under the impression that the state has a budgetary problem, and the citizens think they are taxed too much.

And of course, there's that little mouse hiding in the corner. There are a lot of violent crimes that don't get solved or prosecuted because so much money goes towards investigations such as this one.