Archive for Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Senate urged to consider gun bill

Measure would allow concealed weapons on state campuses

March 21, 2012

The measure was approved earlier this month by the House but since then has been ignored by the Senate.

So state Rep. Forrest Knox, R-Altoona, moved to place the bill as an amendment to a Senate bill dealing with the Kansas Department of Corrections. The House approved that 68-52, sending the bill back to the Senate.

“It’s very important that senators have to vote on this,” Knox said.

Several opponents of the bill, however, disagreed.

State Rep. Barbara Ballard, D-Lawrence, said, “College campuses do not need weapons.”

The bill would allow concealed-carry permit holders to bring their weapons into public buildings, such as university classrooms, city halls and other such structures if those buildings do not have devices like metal detectors designed to detect illegal weapons.

During House debate on the measure earlier this month, there was a provision put in the House bill that would allow universities to exempt themselves but then have to reconsider that decision after four years. Another amendment exempted hospitals, such as Kansas University Hospital.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 2 months ago

"The Kansas House on Wednesday tried to nudge the Senate to approve a bill that would allow people with concealed carry licenses to tote their weapons in some public buildings."

Yea, you never know when an invasion of 16-year-old kids wearing hoodies and eating skittles might happen.

Terry Snell II 3 years, 2 months ago

You never know when you will be attacked with gasoline after school. I'm outraged of how this race thing conitnue's, A hispanic shot a unarmed black male. The parents of shooter continue to say there son is hispanic. The world goes crazy blaming whites and gun owners. In Kansas city last month a white student is attacked by 2 black males. They poured gasoline on him and lit him on fire. The poor kid earlier in the day had answered a question in class about black history month. The teacher which was black said "what do you know your not one of us". Where is the outrage. Its called a double standard. Let the evidence come forward on the shooting incident. I have not seen any evidence of racism. Are banks racist for posting no hats or hoodies in there banks. The crime is shooting a unarmed person, not attacking someoene because of race. Can anyone without any doubt tell me this kid did not attack the hispanic neighborhood watchmen. Lets break this down. I have not seen any evidence that the shooter was a concealed carry holder. If you dont like something these days they either label you a racist or they deploy the we have to protect the children as if we dont care about our children. Stop attacking concealed carry holders!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 2 months ago

Sounds to me that you are person who carries a weapon specifically because of your paranoia of what some black person might do to you.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 2 months ago

But that doesn't mean that there aren't lies passed off as empirical data.

koman 3 years, 2 months ago

A lot of the world has a reason to be scared of white gun owners.

Charles L Bloss Jr 3 years, 2 months ago

If you go into a building without x-ray, metal detectors, and law enforcement officers you are responsible for your own protection. I can see why this concept inflames the majority of liberal Lawrence, but it is the truth, and the reason for proposed changes in the bill.

somedude20 3 years, 2 months ago

"If you go into a building without x-ray, metal detectors, and law enforcement officers you are responsible for your own protection"

Tell that to Virginia Tech who just lost a wrongful death civil suit.....

TopJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Just about the most stupid thing I have ever read.
You really have no clue. And just so you know, you are already surrounded by law abiding gun "toters." Does this scare you? You wimp.

Orwell 3 years, 2 months ago

You don't even read the articles before knee-jerking, do you?

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 2 months ago

Responsible for your own protection? Please. You assume we live in a society where you will be gunned down immediately if not protected by "x-ray, metal detectors, and law enforcement officers" or by your own firearm.

This is a fantasy. We do not live in that society. Maybe you wish our society was like this, but it is not.

It is the fantasy of the wild west. And it is a fantasy.

parrothead8 3 years, 2 months ago

Do you know what a "genre" is? Because it doesn't seem that you used it correctly here. Who is "their," and were you asking a question? If so, perhaps using a question mark would clue us in. What does the term "New America" imply? When you put it in quotes, it appears as if it is a coined term that the rest of us should be familiar with, like "Star Wars" or "Wonderland."

Look, man...I get that you want to make every comment of yours about how horrible you think Obama is, and I will always defend your right to say what you want to say, but for the sake of the rest of us, could you at least try to make sense?

Liberty275 3 years, 2 months ago

At any given moment, I'm solely responsible for my own safety. I don't own a a firearm, but I always have a knife the will be open when it comes out of my pocket. If you think the police will protect you, I suggest you live in a jail cell. Alone.

Where were the police when they should have been protecting the kid down in Florida?

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 2 months ago

There were more cases of gun violence by "law abiding" concealed carry permit holders in 2011 than there were on all college campuses and hospital buildings combined.

So college campuses, public buildings, and hospitals are safer than a room full of concealed carry permit holders. Under this bill, they would be less safe as a population with a greater tendency to commit gun violence will be permitted.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 2 months ago

Citation, please, from a legitimate news source, if you would be so good.

mdlund0 3 years, 2 months ago

It's funny how things become true when you are free to make up the facts as you please. Also, exactly what do you mean by "gun violence"? Were these supposed incidents initiated by the permit holder in an act of agression? If so, the action is illegal and the permit is irrelevant. Or were the permit holders acting in defense against an act of aggression by another party? "Case of gun violence" ... a conveniently loose term used to smear law-abiding citizens exercising their rights.

koman 3 years, 2 months ago

"It's funny how things become true when you are free to make up the facts as you please"

Otherewise known as th fox news business model.

hipper_than_hip 3 years, 2 months ago

Barbara Ballard hates guns and votes no on every gun-related bill that reaches the Senate.

tbaker 3 years, 2 months ago

Show us the evidence Mr. Keeshan, or be ignored like all the other BS artists on this blog. The studies I can cite show no change in crime with or without concealed carry laws.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 2 months ago

It is simple data regarding who lost their concealed carry license in 2011 for an act of gun violence. There no "study" needed, last year more Kansans had their license revoked for an act of gun violence than the total number of gun violence crimes in the "unsafe" areas addressed by this bill.

Concealed carry permit holders are not law abiding saints, contrary to the "BS artists"...

DillonBarnes 3 years, 2 months ago

Using 2010 Statistics (that is the latest I found on KUPSO's website), there were 2 cases of "gun violations," 1 rape, and 31 assaults, two of which were aggravated assaults. Note, this is just on the University of Kansas.

In 2010, 1 license was revoked due to aggravated assault with a firearm.

There were other revocations of course, but you do not need to be attacked with a gun to defend yourself with a gun. A 5' tall girl being attacked by a 300 pound man has every right to defend herself with a firearm, even if he doesn't have a weapon.

No one ever said CCers didn't break the law, it is just doesn't happen a lot. CCers are no more dangerous (some studies actually say less dangerous) than an average citizen.

Paul Wilson 3 years, 2 months ago

"last year more Kansans had their license revoked for an act of gun violence than the total number of gun violence crimes in the "unsafe" areas addressed by this bill." I know you said there is "no 'study' needed"...but surely you didn't just make this up....did you? Would you show me where you got this data please?

beatrice 3 years, 2 months ago

The people in the Senate trying to pass this law won't allow guns in THEIR building, but they will allow them in other peoples' buildings.

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 2 months ago

This law assumes that you will be gunned down immediately if you are not "protected".

This is a ridiculous fantasy.

verity 3 years, 2 months ago

Meanwhile, I see nothing in the LJW about Kobach's latest scheme to circumvent the law, so I will post it:

"Topeka, KS – Last Thursday the Senate Ethics and Elections Committee held a hearing for HB 2437, a bill that would have expedited proof of citizenship for voter registration. Dozens of Kansans in opposition to the bill filled the committee room, many delivered testimony, and countless others called, emailed, and sent letters to their Senators asking them to oppose bill. KanVote delivered a petition opposing the bill with the signatures of over 3,500 Kansans. In the face of mass public opposition, the Senate Ethics and Elections Committee decided not to vote on the bill (HB 2437).

Now Secretary of State Kris Kobach and those who support the bill are attempting to undermine the committee and subvert the traditional legislative process by staging a shady maneuver known as a “gut-and-go”. http://www.hutchnews.com/Editorialblo...

“Gut-and-go” is a legislative tactic where a bill is stripped (gutted) of its content, which is then replaced with the contents of an entirely different piece of legislation. In this case the language of H Sub SB17, a bill regarding campaign finance of state board of education candidates, was stripped and replaced with the contents of HB 2437. This functionally hides the controversial HB 2437 bill under the guise of a lesser known piece of legislation in an attempt to bamboozle legislators and misinform the public.

The “gut-and-go” tactic subverts the legislative practice of fair and open debate in favor of an expedited “up-and-down” vote on the floor of the Senate. When the Kansas House passes H Sub SB 17, the Senate will vote to concur or not concur with the new language contained in the bill. If the Senate votes to concur, then bill will go straight to Governor Brownback’s desk to be signed into law and the new voter registration restrictions will go into effect in June.

The people of Kansas and the Senate Ethics and Elections Committee have twice decided that it is best to wait until January 1st 2013 for the new voter registration restrictions. The introduction of HB 2437 undermined that decision. Kobach’s rush to suppress the vote in time for the 2012 elections has now led him not only to undermine the will of the people and our legislature, but to deceive all Kansans while subverting our legislative process all together."

verity 3 years, 2 months ago

"http://www.hutchnews.com/Editorialblogs/Gut-and-Go-edit"

This link was stripped out of my previous post. I'll see if it goes through this time.

Jan Rolls 3 years, 2 months ago

Most don't know but kansas is one of those states that have that stupid law like florida where you can shoot someone and cry it was self defense. That's all we need is someone looking funny getting murdered. We have a bunch of idiots in office.

Paul Decelles 3 years, 2 months ago

Oh drat and here I was hoping to put off getting a "Peacemaker" to help handle disputes about grades.

CardHawkFan 3 years, 2 months ago

I am still baffled by the fact that we let anything that comes from the this idiot Knox be supported. Does this man have children that even attend public schools or universities here in this state? Is there evidence that he and/or his family would have ever benefited from having a gun in a public building? I can just imagine 16,300 screaming fans in AFH jumping up and down and a handgun just happens to fall out of student's pocket. Same goes for Memorial Stadium, Bramlage, BSFS, Koch Arena...No way allowing guns on college campuses is the way to go. Why not propose a measure that adds funding to university police departments or privately funded security businesses? Still helps maintain peace and civility and provides jobs. I live in Lawrence and I am not a liberal. I am originally from a small town in Kansas, took hunter's safety courses as a child, and went hunting on numerous occasions with my father. I have even fired guns at a range on several occasions. I believe in a person's right to CC, just not on college campuses. Just like you wouldn't want a person carrying a gun in a high school, college kids are just that...kids. No guns necessary!

Flap Doodle 3 years, 2 months ago

card, do you think that prohibiting permit holders to legally carry on a college campus is going to prevent criminals from carrying illegally?

CardHawkFan 3 years, 2 months ago

There is the obvious answer, and of course that is assuming that college kids would even want to purchase guns and apply for a CC license anyway. One could also argue that a person with a CC license could be carrying a gun into a public place illegally, too. I get that. Just feel like resources or suggestions to attempt to keep our citizens safe could be better utilized somewhere else. And, there are just some places that guns should not be allowed and it is not cost effective to put metal detectors all over the place. Agreed, one life lost or damaged is one too many, but the answer for protecting one another isn't allowing for the opportunity for there to be more guns.

mom_of_three 3 years, 2 months ago

Better question - do you feel so unsafe on campus that you feel the need to carry a weapon to class?
No, I do not.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

Okay, the burning question for me is . . . what the hell brand of gun is in the picture? I'm fairly sure it isn't a Smith & Wesson but the grips appear to be Hogue. I thought I knew most brands but this one has me stumped.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 2 months ago

I believe it's called "Big Scary Bang Bang Stick."

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

I think you're right! The more I search the more dead ends I run into!

Flap Doodle 3 years, 2 months ago

The vent rib says Python, but the frame doesn't look like a Python. IIRC, Taurus makes some revolvers with vent ribs. I'll check their site this evening.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

Maybe but I don't think so. The cylinder release is like S&W but sits a little high for Taurus. The quality of finish is no where near the python's plus incorrect release.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

Nope! Dan Wesson cylinder release is ahead of the cylinder.

Mark Currie 3 years, 2 months ago

I have stated here before that I am very Pro Gun. I got called names, put downs, etc. for my beliefs. I have had some training in firearms use both from private classes and was taught how to use an M-16 in ROTC. While I did not go into the service, I got the training. I have been shooting for around 48 years. Concealed means concealed. I have a permit, carry a .45 ACP or a 9mm. I doubt anyone could find it on me w/o a metal detector, and I can't go through a metal detector b/c of health problems. It was these same health problems that led me to get the permit to start with. I honor all "no gun" signs. I believe it is the right of any business owner to post a no gun sign on their place of business. That just means someone else gets my $$. I do have some reservations about allowing guns in the hands of some young people, regardless of their race, creed, or color. I have been through 4 exhaustive background checks & passed them all. I wouldn't mind staff having guns, but to be honest, some young people with guns kind of scares the crap out of me. I was also a teacher for 31 years, and had 3 serious threats made to my life. That was way years ago and after the threats were made, I did have a gun secured in my vehicle, parked close to my room. That was before it was illegal. Have a nice day.

JayhawkFan1985 3 years, 2 months ago

It strikes me as odd that there is such a sense of urgency on the part of some in the legislature to expand conceal carry in the wake of the shooting in Florida of the teenage boy Trayvon Williams and the shooting in Arizona of US representative Gabby Giffords. Perhaps legislation should be thoughtful and reflective not just ideologically driven.

Having said that, I realize that Wyatt Earp was town Marshall in Dodge City and the Dalton gang ran amok in SE KS. But I've never even witnessed a violent crime where I would have been in a position to use a gun to stop it. My real point is that even in Dodge City law-abiding citizens had to check their guns at the door.

This legislation is based on fear and hatred of others and will eventually result in more violence if passed.

50YearResident 3 years, 2 months ago

If you are going to make a stupid comment, at least you can do is get the names right. Trayvon's last name was Martin and Gabby Gifford would have benefited from some help from police or a conceled gun permit holder. Neither has any connection with this new law being considered. It's uninformed people like you that are in fear of the very people that may someday prove to be beneficial to kep you safe when the police are minutes away and you need immediate help, just like Gabby.

JayhawkFan1985 3 years, 2 months ago

You are right on the name. That's the problem with editing your own work on the fly. Mea culpa.

I disagree with your assertion that Gabby would have benefitted from vigilante dodge city style vengeance. There was a police presence there anyway.

Thanks for pointing out in such a kind way all my shortcomings as a person. I will try to live up to your example.

50YearResident 3 years, 2 months ago

Your apology has been accepted. However I now have to call you out on your assertation that concealed carry permit hollders are "Dodge City vengance seekers". I will be willing to wager tham many of your friends and aquaintances are concealed carry holders and they would be dismayed to hear your assesment of their intent.

JayhawkFan1985 3 years, 2 months ago

I wasn't actually apologyzing to you. I admit I made an editorial mistake.

I was also being sarcastic. I don't understand why people like you resort to personal attacks when you disagree with what some else has said.

Finally, I don't think all conceal carry holders would seek vengence a la Dodge City style. But, I think it is like handing a mob torches and pitchforks...they're going after the monster at that point and it aint going to end well.

My brother has a conceal carry permit. He and I disagree about the wisdom of it. He also has a bad temper. That is what tends to get him in difficult situations, not the lack of a concealed weapon.

50YearResident 3 years, 2 months ago

observant, you need to get your facts straight and at the same time take that chip off your shoulder.

50YearResident 3 years, 2 months ago

About who was involved in helping Gifford and just who were hiding, if anyone.

50YearResident 3 years, 2 months ago

Read the following story. Be sure to read the full article.

50YearResident 3 years, 2 months ago

I guarantee you no cc holder will come to your defense. However maybe an old old lady will help you if the situation is really bad.

JayhawkFan1985 3 years, 2 months ago

That is my point exactly. I think we are over excited about conceal carry as if that is some sort of miracle pill that will solve all the worlds ills. I'm concerned that people will feel "protected" by their gun and will place themselves and others in harms way.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't believe that is true for most concealed carriers. I think your opinion is based off a few unfortunate news stories you've heard and not on real concealed carriers.

JayhawkFan1985 3 years, 2 months ago

Where do you get that from my posts? I'm talking about my legitimate fear of over cocky sons of b.....

DillonBarnes 3 years, 2 months ago

I got that from your reference to the Florida shooting and the Gifford's shooting. The reality is those are two isolated incidents that I don't believe can be used as an argument against concealed carry.

If you are implying that concealed carriers are "cocky sons of b...," I fail to see where you are coming to that conclusion. Most are actually pretty quiet and reserved.

Eugehne Normandin 3 years, 2 months ago

are guns the issue or being held accountable for your actions? Iam sure I could kill someone with my car keys but I am allowed to carry them anywhere I please if you do the crime you do the time

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

The sole purpose of this gun is long range target shooting

As is this

And this

And this

Someone may try to kill with one of them, but they were all designed to punch holes in targets. Your argument is invalid. Period.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

In 40 plus years of shooting all different types of guns I have fired many tens of thousands of rounds for the purpose of punching holes in paper as accurately as possible. Never was my shooting thought of as practice for killing another person.

Your argument sounds like the typical "I'm scared of it so it is bad". When I shoot it is like you playing golf or playing basketball, I'm trying to improve my "game" doing something I thoroughly enjoy. No imaginary bad guys out there for me, just increasingly smaller rings with an X in the center that I'm trying to put a hole through.

Your argument is still invalid. Period.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't carry either! I have taken the class, getting top marks, as well as other marksmanship/gun safety courses. But Jeez, now we are comparing video games to real life? Sounds like we aren't that far apart age wise, big difference is I still know video games are just . . . games. Period.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 2 months ago

Shooting is fun! It is a skill and a hobby.

50YearResident 3 years, 2 months ago

Legal Concealed Carry has been in effect in Kansas now for 5 years. There has not been any mass killings, shoot outs at the OK corral, gun fights in the streets or accidental shooting of innocient people. Yet, many people here are posting about fear of concealed carry permit holders that might do them harm. Get over it, it's not going to happen. Do you even know who around you has a concealed license. You might be very surprised to find out most of the licensed permit holders you hold in contempt and fear are the people you trust the most. They are Doctors, Lawyers, Business People, next door neighbors, friends and relatives. Surprised? If you knew these people had a concealed handgun license would it change your mind about your safety when you are around them? I think not! Get over your fear because there is nothing to be afraid about. Concealed Carry License holders are people you already know and trust.

hammerhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And a lot of people kill a lot people - with guns!

BTW, Kansas passed one of the first "Stand your ground" statutes back in 2006. In fact, it's the statute that Florida based it's law on. Don't you feel safer already!!??

50YearResident 3 years, 2 months ago

Apply the "Stand your Ground" law to any negitive use of that law in Kansas and post the link to the story. What is your point? Do you feel unsafe because of what happened in Florada, 2000 miles away?

Hardhawk1 3 years, 2 months ago

Check out the data on the AG's Website. The Kansas Attorney General reports every year on concealed carry. Look at the reports on his website. Each year there are a number of CC holders who have permits revoked because of criminal acts. I do not agree that these are people " we know and trust". Felons with guns are not a good idea.

Knox has a bunch of kids, all of whom were home schooled. His kids won't be shot at school and he does not care if our kids are.