Archive for Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Senate urged to consider gun bill

Measure would allow concealed weapons on state campuses

March 21, 2012

The measure was approved earlier this month by the House but since then has been ignored by the Senate.

So state Rep. Forrest Knox, R-Altoona, moved to place the bill as an amendment to a Senate bill dealing with the Kansas Department of Corrections. The House approved that 68-52, sending the bill back to the Senate.

“It’s very important that senators have to vote on this,” Knox said.

Several opponents of the bill, however, disagreed.

State Rep. Barbara Ballard, D-Lawrence, said, “College campuses do not need weapons.”

The bill would allow concealed-carry permit holders to bring their weapons into public buildings, such as university classrooms, city halls and other such structures if those buildings do not have devices like metal detectors designed to detect illegal weapons.

During House debate on the measure earlier this month, there was a provision put in the House bill that would allow universities to exempt themselves but then have to reconsider that decision after four years. Another amendment exempted hospitals, such as Kansas University Hospital.

Comments

Hardhawk1 2 years ago

Check out the data on the AG's Website. The Kansas Attorney General reports every year on concealed carry. Look at the reports on his website. Each year there are a number of CC holders who have permits revoked because of criminal acts. I do not agree that these are people " we know and trust". Felons with guns are not a good idea.

Knox has a bunch of kids, all of whom were home schooled. His kids won't be shot at school and he does not care if our kids are.

hammerhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And a lot of people kill a lot people - with guns!

BTW, Kansas passed one of the first "Stand your ground" statutes back in 2006. In fact, it's the statute that Florida based it's law on. Don't you feel safer already!!??

50YearResident 2 years, 1 month ago

Legal Concealed Carry has been in effect in Kansas now for 5 years. There has not been any mass killings, shoot outs at the OK corral, gun fights in the streets or accidental shooting of innocient people. Yet, many people here are posting about fear of concealed carry permit holders that might do them harm. Get over it, it's not going to happen. Do you even know who around you has a concealed license. You might be very surprised to find out most of the licensed permit holders you hold in contempt and fear are the people you trust the most. They are Doctors, Lawyers, Business People, next door neighbors, friends and relatives. Surprised? If you knew these people had a concealed handgun license would it change your mind about your safety when you are around them? I think not! Get over your fear because there is nothing to be afraid about. Concealed Carry License holders are people you already know and trust.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

The sole purpose of this gun is long range target shooting

As is this

And this

And this

Someone may try to kill with one of them, but they were all designed to punch holes in targets. Your argument is invalid. Period.

swampyankee 2 years, 1 month ago

are guns the issue or being held accountable for your actions? Iam sure I could kill someone with my car keys but I am allowed to carry them anywhere I please if you do the crime you do the time

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 1 month ago

It strikes me as odd that there is such a sense of urgency on the part of some in the legislature to expand conceal carry in the wake of the shooting in Florida of the teenage boy Trayvon Williams and the shooting in Arizona of US representative Gabby Giffords. Perhaps legislation should be thoughtful and reflective not just ideologically driven.

Having said that, I realize that Wyatt Earp was town Marshall in Dodge City and the Dalton gang ran amok in SE KS. But I've never even witnessed a violent crime where I would have been in a position to use a gun to stop it. My real point is that even in Dodge City law-abiding citizens had to check their guns at the door.

This legislation is based on fear and hatred of others and will eventually result in more violence if passed.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 1 month ago

Now more than ever, Jonas says, women are flocking to guns. Now, it looks as if the fairer sex's fascination with guns is also fueling a new bull market in the firearms sector.

"It turns out women are driving some of the biggest trends in gun ownership," Jonas says. "According to a Gallup Poll from October, 23% of women personally own guns, up from just 13% in 2005. That's a massive increase in ownership by a group that has traditionally shied away from firearms."

Today, we're seeing yet another huge rally in gun stocks. Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. (NASDAQ:SWHC) and Sturm, Ruger & Co. (NYSE:RGR) are both rallying double-digits. In fact, Sturm, Ruger & Co. has been so busy this quarter that the gun maker announced this morning that it will temporarily stop taking new orders.

(from a source)

eugunieum 2 years, 1 month ago

I have stated here before that I am very Pro Gun. I got called names, put downs, etc. for my beliefs. I have had some training in firearms use both from private classes and was taught how to use an M-16 in ROTC. While I did not go into the service, I got the training. I have been shooting for around 48 years. Concealed means concealed. I have a permit, carry a .45 ACP or a 9mm. I doubt anyone could find it on me w/o a metal detector, and I can't go through a metal detector b/c of health problems. It was these same health problems that led me to get the permit to start with. I honor all "no gun" signs. I believe it is the right of any business owner to post a no gun sign on their place of business. That just means someone else gets my $$. I do have some reservations about allowing guns in the hands of some young people, regardless of their race, creed, or color. I have been through 4 exhaustive background checks & passed them all. I wouldn't mind staff having guns, but to be honest, some young people with guns kind of scares the crap out of me. I was also a teacher for 31 years, and had 3 serious threats made to my life. That was way years ago and after the threats were made, I did have a gun secured in my vehicle, parked close to my room. That was before it was illegal. Have a nice day.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

Okay, the burning question for me is . . . what the hell brand of gun is in the picture? I'm fairly sure it isn't a Smith & Wesson but the grips appear to be Hogue. I thought I knew most brands but this one has me stumped.

mom_of_three 2 years, 1 month ago

Better question - do you feel so unsafe on campus that you feel the need to carry a weapon to class?
No, I do not.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 1 month ago

card, do you think that prohibiting permit holders to legally carry on a college campus is going to prevent criminals from carrying illegally?

CardHawkFan 2 years, 1 month ago

I am still baffled by the fact that we let anything that comes from the this idiot Knox be supported. Does this man have children that even attend public schools or universities here in this state? Is there evidence that he and/or his family would have ever benefited from having a gun in a public building? I can just imagine 16,300 screaming fans in AFH jumping up and down and a handgun just happens to fall out of student's pocket. Same goes for Memorial Stadium, Bramlage, BSFS, Koch Arena...No way allowing guns on college campuses is the way to go. Why not propose a measure that adds funding to university police departments or privately funded security businesses? Still helps maintain peace and civility and provides jobs. I live in Lawrence and I am not a liberal. I am originally from a small town in Kansas, took hunter's safety courses as a child, and went hunting on numerous occasions with my father. I have even fired guns at a range on several occasions. I believe in a person's right to CC, just not on college campuses. Just like you wouldn't want a person carrying a gun in a high school, college kids are just that...kids. No guns necessary!

Paul Decelles 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh drat and here I was hoping to put off getting a "Peacemaker" to help handle disputes about grades.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 1 month ago

The scary revolver photo is back!

Jan Rolls 2 years, 1 month ago

Most don't know but kansas is one of those states that have that stupid law like florida where you can shoot someone and cry it was self defense. That's all we need is someone looking funny getting murdered. We have a bunch of idiots in office.

verity 2 years, 1 month ago

"http://www.hutchnews.com/Editorialblogs/Gut-and-Go-edit"

This link was stripped out of my previous post. I'll see if it goes through this time.

verity 2 years, 1 month ago

Meanwhile, I see nothing in the LJW about Kobach's latest scheme to circumvent the law, so I will post it:

"Topeka, KS – Last Thursday the Senate Ethics and Elections Committee held a hearing for HB 2437, a bill that would have expedited proof of citizenship for voter registration. Dozens of Kansans in opposition to the bill filled the committee room, many delivered testimony, and countless others called, emailed, and sent letters to their Senators asking them to oppose bill. KanVote delivered a petition opposing the bill with the signatures of over 3,500 Kansans. In the face of mass public opposition, the Senate Ethics and Elections Committee decided not to vote on the bill (HB 2437).

Now Secretary of State Kris Kobach and those who support the bill are attempting to undermine the committee and subvert the traditional legislative process by staging a shady maneuver known as a “gut-and-go”. http://www.hutchnews.com/Editorialblo...

“Gut-and-go” is a legislative tactic where a bill is stripped (gutted) of its content, which is then replaced with the contents of an entirely different piece of legislation. In this case the language of H Sub SB17, a bill regarding campaign finance of state board of education candidates, was stripped and replaced with the contents of HB 2437. This functionally hides the controversial HB 2437 bill under the guise of a lesser known piece of legislation in an attempt to bamboozle legislators and misinform the public.

The “gut-and-go” tactic subverts the legislative practice of fair and open debate in favor of an expedited “up-and-down” vote on the floor of the Senate. When the Kansas House passes H Sub SB 17, the Senate will vote to concur or not concur with the new language contained in the bill. If the Senate votes to concur, then bill will go straight to Governor Brownback’s desk to be signed into law and the new voter registration restrictions will go into effect in June.

The people of Kansas and the Senate Ethics and Elections Committee have twice decided that it is best to wait until January 1st 2013 for the new voter registration restrictions. The introduction of HB 2437 undermined that decision. Kobach’s rush to suppress the vote in time for the 2012 elections has now led him not only to undermine the will of the people and our legislature, but to deceive all Kansans while subverting our legislative process all together."

its_just_math 2 years, 1 month ago

"...tote their weapons..."

Typical 'Rothschild-speak', intended to be sarcastic and cynical about whatever he is opposed to (any conservative bent).

It's called concealed carry, hows bouts we just leave it there?

yourworstnightmare 2 years, 1 month ago

This law assumes that you will be gunned down immediately if you are not "protected".

This is a ridiculous fantasy.

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

The people in the Senate trying to pass this law won't allow guns in THEIR building, but they will allow them in other peoples' buildings.

tbaker 2 years, 1 month ago

Show us the evidence Mr. Keeshan, or be ignored like all the other BS artists on this blog. The studies I can cite show no change in crime with or without concealed carry laws.

hipper_than_hip 2 years, 1 month ago

Barbara Ballard hates guns and votes no on every gun-related bill that reaches the Senate.

Bob_Keeshan 2 years, 1 month ago

There were more cases of gun violence by "law abiding" concealed carry permit holders in 2011 than there were on all college campuses and hospital buildings combined.

So college campuses, public buildings, and hospitals are safer than a room full of concealed carry permit holders. Under this bill, they would be less safe as a population with a greater tendency to commit gun violence will be permitted.

yourworstnightmare 2 years, 1 month ago

Responsible for your own protection? Please. You assume we live in a society where you will be gunned down immediately if not protected by "x-ray, metal detectors, and law enforcement officers" or by your own firearm.

This is a fantasy. We do not live in that society. Maybe you wish our society was like this, but it is not.

It is the fantasy of the wild west. And it is a fantasy.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 1 month ago

I can imagine living in The Obama Genre with his OWS posse lurking about.

Charles L Bloss Jr 2 years, 1 month ago

If you go into a building without x-ray, metal detectors, and law enforcement officers you are responsible for your own protection. I can see why this concept inflames the majority of liberal Lawrence, but it is the truth, and the reason for proposed changes in the bill.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 1 month ago

"The Kansas House on Wednesday tried to nudge the Senate to approve a bill that would allow people with concealed carry licenses to tote their weapons in some public buildings."

Yea, you never know when an invasion of 16-year-old kids wearing hoodies and eating skittles might happen.