Archive for Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Police arrest wanted man outside of Lawrence

Armed Douglas County Sheriffs deputies exit the yard of a house in the 1700 block of east 1500 Rd. south of the Kansas Turnpike, where Russell Dean Baston was taken into custody Wednesday, March 21, just before 1 p.m.

March 21, 2012, 9:44 a.m. Updated March 21, 2012, 6:00 p.m.

The search for a 44-year-old man, who was described as armed and dangerous and has a history of running from authorities, ended abruptly Wednesday as officers from several agencies descended on a property just outside Lawrence.

Russell Dean Baston, who was wanted in connection with a Saturday burglary in central Jefferson County, was arrested just before 1 p.m. Wednesday after he resisted arrest from officers just north of the Lawrence city limits, said Sgt. Steve Lewis, a Douglas County Sheriff’s spokesman.

Authorities arrest man outside of Lawrence

Douglas County authorities arrest Russell Dean Baston, Wednesday, March 21, 2012, in North Lawrence. Enlarge video

Russell Dean Baston

Russell Dean Baston

Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Herrig said Wednesday afternoon that Baston was taken to jail in Jefferson County to face charges there as authorities continue to investigate him for other potential crimes in Douglas, Leavenworth and Shawnee counties. Less than 24 hours before Baston’s arrest, Herrig’s office had asked for the public’s help in locating Baston and a truck he had allegedly stolen from Topeka. Hours before they arrested Baston, Lawrence police had found the truck, which contained what they suspected was property stolen from Leavenworth County, Herrig said.

“I’m very satisfied. I’m disappointed that we ended up with another burglary in another county,” Herrig said. “Other than that, it was a pretty quick response in getting him captured.”

About noon Wednesday, Lewis said area investigators determined Baston was at a residence in the 1700 block of East 1500 Road, which is an extension of North Seventh Street in North Lawrence. They asked sheriff’s officers for assistance. Baston ran from the house to an outbuilding on the property and tried to run back into the house just before he was apprehended, Lewis said.

Baston resisted arrest. Lawrence police and Leavenworth and Jefferson County sheriff’s officers also were on the scene. Baston declined medical treatment by ambulance workers, but he was taken to be examined at Lawrence Memorial Hospital before he was taken to jail, Lewis said. Two officers who received minor injuries were treated at the scene.

Herrig said that during the Saturday burglary for which Baston has been charged, Baston was suspected of firing a round while inside a house, but the victims were not home at the time and no injuries were reported.

Herrig said Lawrence police are expecting to send information to the Douglas County District Attorney’s Office for possible charges against Baston related to the resisting arrest allegations.

In the past, Baston has spent time in prison for a 1995 Douglas County robbery and for escaping from the Douglas County Jail in January 1996, when the jail was at 111 E. 11th.

Comments

Camry12 2 years ago

Very bad person, he was a big bully growing up and I am sure he is one now. Highlight when we got to High School was watching this guy get creamed by some guys that were defending there lil friend. Hope the people that got there house broken into are able to claim it on insurance and able to replace everything. Sad but some people just need to be in jail/prison to stay out of trouble and he is one of them!

otto 2 years ago

^ Too much punctuation ^ hard to understand

ForThePeople 2 years ago

Arielstarr...it's obvious you love and care about your dad. For your own sanity, I suggest not getting involved in the banter here. It really never does family members of articles similar to this, any good.

kusp8 2 years ago

Onlymee quit typing IN ALL CAPS. IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE SHOUTING!!

Keith Richards 2 years ago

Heather Terry 2 years ago

Wow i mean really??????? sounds like someone is delusional............

arielstarr 2 years ago

Lol yeah I did realize journal world with so much drama but I guess when you're old and all you can do is read a paper you tend to get sucked in the drama I like your photo that's probably what my dad is doing because the police only want to make a arrest instead of doing their job and getting justice I guess its whatever get them to dunkin donuts faster

arielstarr 2 years ago

Old I get your glasses and reread what I wrote I never threatened him he threaten my dad so go find your prescription glasses and a newspaper because you don't know how to use the internet

arielstarr 2 years ago

:-) Russell is my dad ñd a good guy hè wôuldñt ever go out àrmd n dañgers kill ppl hè aînt à màñiàç

arielstarr 2 years ago

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years ago

"Larryvillage" was and easy mark for him introversion. Lot's "Liberaltines" scurrying about. Diss'n guns. Promoting "Diversity" for public restrooms. Candlelight vigils to legalize "weed". OWS posse clammoring for somewhere to sleep.
Easy mark

JT43 2 years ago

oops....... then he set her stuff on fire after

JT43 2 years ago

It's about time they got him and it's a good thing they got him before he showed up at my place again because he would have been greeted with my 380! I will feel a lot better when I hear they have the person who was with him..... I'm just waiting for them to show up too!!! ,,,,, No Sychophant it has not been "very quickly" he has been in my area for over two weeks robbing houses and assaulting an 80 some year old lady after he robbed her using a truck he stole from Lawrence. Then he set her stuff of fine after the truck got stuck! I just hope they have enough on him this time to keep his rearend locked up for years and years.

introversion 2 years ago

is there any comment on the house where he was staying? i.e., did he have friends there? Will there be additional charges for the residents to the tune of harboring a known criminal?

Bob Forer 2 years ago

I don't understand the negative and sarcastic comments. This is obviously a bad guy whom the police tracked down and caught very quickly.

Good job, law enforcement! Thanks for protecting us.

Bobbi Reid 2 years ago

So glad they got him. This happened about 1/2 a block from my house. My daughter said she heard tires squealing and then heard sirens.

irvan moore 2 years ago

and he resisted arrest, he might really be a bad a$$

onlymee 2 years ago

GOOD JOB, HES HOPEFULLY BEHIND BARS FOR GOOD,

Ron Holzwarth 2 years ago

It's really unfortunate that some people have the urge to steal and cannot seem to stay out of trouble. I wonder if future generations will think of those things as being indicative of psychiatric problems, and if there will ever be a successful treatment for them.

kscityrobber 2 years ago

Don't anybody read the article before posting? HE WAS ARRESTED...JEEZ. i bett reward out the window. MONEY HUNGRY MUCH?

guavablues 2 years ago

I've been aware of this character since he was in grade school. He was trouble then and he is trouble now. Seems obvious he's not going to change. Time to give him some serious time.

tsmjcc 2 years ago

hey j got your 500 huh bye bye says baston

UNIKU 2 years ago

Did anyone check Yellow House for the suspect?....

tsmjcc 2 years ago

I found a child rapiest working at fm a while back,i found him on ks most wanted got a grand im sure 500 for him is no problem

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years ago

With the mustache he looks like "Eric Holder". Is he a "Gun runner" supplying bandits like "Holder" is?

jcoozy1978 2 years ago

I bet for 500 dollars you are right....

onlymee 2 years ago

YES, THERES A REWARD, I GOT SOME MONEY,

jcoozy1978 2 years ago

Sorry 50 year resident. He is prolly 6'2... at least 6 minimum. Sure he's hiding in the trailer park... would be more sure though if there was a $$$ reward...

jcoozy1978 2 years ago

Is there a money reward????

50YearResident 2 years ago

Location of found truck might help find him. Maybe there is another stolen vehicle taken from the same location. It could be his new ride. If law enforcement wants help locating this guy we need all the information available. We need to know what he may be driving now.

onlymee 2 years ago

YES, I AGREE WITH YOU TSMJCC,I PRAY HES CAUGHT SOON,,,

OonlyBonly 2 years ago

Byline indicates "truck found" etc., etc. but no mention of area of city in which it was found...... or when

tsmjcc 2 years ago