Archive for Wednesday, March 21, 2012

K-7 closed in Bonner Springs after fatal crash

March 21, 2012, 10:09 a.m. Updated March 21, 2012, 12:24 p.m.

A woman was killed in a two-vehicle accident Wednesday morning on Kansas Highway 7 in Bonner Springs.

The woman was driving south on K-7 when she braked at the traffic light at Kansas Avenue and lost control of her vehicle, Kansas Highway Patrol Trooper Howard Dickinson said. The woman lost control of the vehicle and went across the median and into the northbound lanes where another vehicle, driven by a man, struck her vehicle on the passenger side.

Dickinson said she died at the scene. The accident occurred about 8:30 a.m.

The woman was driving a small-framed Chevrolet car, while the man was driving a small-framed Mitsubishi car. Dickinson said both drivers were wearing seat belts. The man was taken to an area hospital, Dickinson said.

The wreck has caused traffic to be rerouted at the intersection.

Northbound lanes on K-7 are closed from Kansas Avenue to Nettleton Road, and southbound lanes are closed from Commercial Drive to Kansas Avenue.

Northbound traffic is exiting at Nettleton Avenue for a detour, and southbound traffic is detouring at Commercial Drive, according to a release from the Kansas Department of Transportation. KDOT recommends that drivers avoid the area and use alternate routes until the lanes reopen.

Check back to our site for more information.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 5 months ago

I have to wonder if "a small-framed Chevrolet car" means a Chevrolet Aveo, which made 'Consumer Reports' list of the ten worst cars available for sale in the United States a few years ago. Thankfully, it is now out of production.

I was once a passenger with the extremely careless driver of a Chevrolet Aveo, and I had to start screaming to get him to look up to notice that he was about to slam into the back of a large towing truck at about 65 mph. It took him forever to hit the brakes!

And then, when he finally did, what happened was stunning. His car seemed to have no brakes at all, even though it was properly functioning in every way. He did not have the ABS system that was an option on the car, and I was looking death right in the face, because that car simply would not stop.

The Chevrolet Aveo has small, skinny tires so that it will get good fuel mileage. But that comes with a horrible price - there is almost no braking available, at least if you don't have ABS. I do not know how much better it is if you do have that option.

When he finally got that thing stopped, we were only about six feet from the rear bumper of the towing truck! I slumped back with relief.

Then BANG! The car behind him bumped his back bumper. I rejected that reality, and just closed my eyes. Then, the driver got out of his car to talk to the driver that had bumped the back of his Chevrolet Aveo.

Next thing, he stuck his head in the window and said: "The law is here! I don't have a driver's license! Tell him you were driving. Please!"

No way.

After a couple more DUIs, a couple more Driving While Suspendeds, an illegal U turn, and a few minor crashes, he finally drove off the left hand side of the highway, into the ditch, and collided with a bush.

Thankfully, he wasn't seriously hurt, and there was one less Chevrolet Aveo on the road. I can certainly understand how you could totally lose control of one that does not have ABS brakes. The back wheels just lock up, and you lose your steering. Everyone that drives one should be very aware that almost all of the other cars on the road can stop much, much more quickly than you can.

I certainly feel sympathy for the family, and it is certainly a tragedy that there are so many deaths on the roads that this is just one more.

friendlyjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Why did you share a personal story like this, Ron? Unless it was to get others to feel sorry for you it certainly does not teach us anything except that you choose companions poorly and can ramble on and on about it.

"I certainly feel sympathy for the family, and it is certainly a tragedy that there are so many deaths on the roads that this is just one more" Your comment is of no benefit to the family of the people involved in this wreck. If you know them express the sentiment to them personally and quietly, don't post it on this forum because it is empty and self serving.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 5 months ago

Hopefully, people will learn something. I know I certainly did that day, and I am no longer in contact with that person.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 5 months ago

Here's the real reason I posted it: I'm really ticked off at the state of Kansas for not getting that guy off the road. After all those driving offenses, and I did not exaggerate, he just kept on getting in his car and driving around when he was incapable of doing so safely. In fact, he got away with many more things than he got busted for.

If there would have been anyone coming the other way when he drove off the left hand side of the highway, he could have wiped out an entire family.

This state is far too lenient with people who demonstrate that they are obviously a danger to the public. Every time he went to court, the judge would grant a continuance, and go out and drive again.

Clickker 2 years, 5 months ago

actually, I didnt realize that any cars came without abs brakes these days. Thanks Ron

Justsayin_ 2 years, 5 months ago

This breaks my heart. I wish they would lower the speed limit at that intersection. Too many people blow through the yellow light at full speed, which is posted “60” MPH.

imastinker 2 years, 5 months ago

The mirror says it was an 08 chevy cobalt the girl died in and 03 galant the other driver was operating.