Archive for Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Jefferson County authorities seeking man described as armed and dangerous

March 20, 2012, 4:02 p.m. Updated March 20, 2012, 4:48 p.m.

Russell Dean Baston

Russell Dean Baston

Russell Baston was last known to be driving a stolen Green 1995 Ford F250 extended cab pickup with no license plate.  If you have any information in regards to the location of Baston please contact the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office at 785-863-2351.  All calls will be kept confidential.

Russell Baston was last known to be driving a stolen Green 1995 Ford F250 extended cab pickup with no license plate. If you have any information in regards to the location of Baston please contact the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office at 785-863-2351. All calls will be kept confidential.

Jefferson County Sheriff’s officials are seeking the public’s help in locating a 44-year-old man wanted in connection with numerous burglaries and thefts in Jefferson County.

Sheriff’s officials identified the suspect Tuesday as Russell Dean Baston, who is known to travel among Douglas, Jefferson and Shawnee counties.

“Baston should be considered armed and dangerous,” Detective Sgt. Kirk Vernon wrote in a news release.

He is described as 6 feet, 1 inch tall, between 225 and 250 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes. He was last known to be driving a stolen Green 1995 Ford F-250 extended-cab pickup truck with no license plate.

Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Herrig said that in one recent burglary in Jefferson County, Baston is suspected of firing a round while inside a house, but the victims were not home at the time and no injuries were reported. He’s also suspected of stealing vehicles in Lawrence and Topeka.

Baston has spent time in prison in Kansas, including for a 1995 attempted aggravated robbery conviction for an incident northwest of Lawrence, according to the Kansas Department of Corrections. He also was convicted for a Jan. 21, 1996, escape from Douglas County Jail. According to news reports at the time, Baston overpowered a corrections officer who was delivering inmate medications and broke a lock on a perimeter door, slipped down a stairwell and exited through a first-floor door.

Jefferson County Sheriff’s officials asked anyone with information about Baston to call the sheriff’s office at 785-863-2351.

Comments

Jennifer Klopp 2 years, 9 months ago

I hope they catch him. There have been so many burglaries in this area, especially rural areas, lately.

kernal 2 years, 9 months ago

The kasper site doesn't handle traffic well, so it may take a few to several minutes for the info to come up.

George Diepenbrock 2 years, 9 months ago

We have a different photo. Putting it up now.

irvan moore 2 years, 9 months ago

i hope he gives up peacefully and no leo or civilian gets hurt

Tony Holladay 2 years, 9 months ago

I think he has long hair now. Normally wears it in a pony tail. He was seen in North Lawrence yesterday driving the f-250.

Heather Terry 2 years, 9 months ago

He did have long hair but he did cut his pony tails off last summer.

thebigspoon 2 years, 9 months ago

Shouldn't be hard to find that truck. Just stake out the gas stations in the area. I am sure it gets really good fuel mileage ???

onlymee 2 years, 9 months ago

i hope they catch him and his women AND FRY THEM BOTH, THEY HAVE NO CARE WHO THEY HURT IN THE PROCESS, OLDER PEOPLE ,I WISH ID CATCH HIM FIRST,

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 9 months ago

"He is described as 6-feet, 1-inch tall, "

The picture shows that he's barely 6' tall, probably closer to 5'11.

gccs14r 2 years, 9 months ago

Lots of guys claim they're six feet tall when they aren't.

Richard Weeks 2 years, 9 months ago

What the hell is wrong with this guy, ive known him for half my life. And he just can't stay outta trouble...and your right Russell would wear a mutha out....

Proudmomofthree 2 years, 9 months ago

So Sad! I have known this man way more than half my life!!! My sisters and I grew up with Russell. Terrible he has chosen this path to live!!! Very unfortunante!!!!!

lovinlife 2 years, 9 months ago

Don't be fooled by all the scary ideas they are throwing out there, Russell is a very charming guy always sporting a huge smile and if you actually know him you'd find it hard to believe that he is so dangerous. He doesn't know any other way to be and unfortunately will probably spend the rest of his life this time as I'm sure its at least his 3rd strike. He is rarely dangerous to the general public as a matter of fact I'd invite him into my home now if he showed up, I'd just go to another room and call the cops.

mrbig 2 years, 9 months ago

Yeah he was super charming when he stole from us.

lovinlife 2 years, 9 months ago

I couldn't begin to list the things he has stolen from me/my family so please don't assume I'm on his side here, just saying "armed and dangerous" means shoot if you see him and that's just overkill. Putting that fear into folks is too muchn if you see him call the police and head the other direction, simple as that.

JimmyJoeBob 2 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like you are defending him to me. When a guy takes cops on as many high speed chases as he has he is armed with a 2000 pound weapon. Why is it unfortunate that a guy like this will have to spend the rest of his life in prison

lovinlife 2 years, 9 months ago

no intent to defend Russell or anything he has done, just saying the man has managed to evade police several times for long stretches because he is so charming and friendly. My point being if seen call the police and turn the other way. But i would like to hear of the many high speed chases ? If my knowledge suits me there was one police chase in the very early 90's that was never high speed or dangerous to the public. It is not unfortunate for him or those he has stolen from for him to spend life this time and I agree that prison is probably the best place for him but it is however very unfortunate for his Mother, Daughter and Grandson who have never anything but loved him that he has continued to make these choices.

somedude20 2 years, 9 months ago

Guess the bright side is that this man is at least working on his craft. Most people try a job, fail then try something else. Russ here, tried, failed (jail) but stuck with it and went a number of years without getting caught...way to go!

onlymee 2 years, 9 months ago

YEA, BIG MAN KNOCKING OLD PEOPLE DOWN.

tsmjcc 2 years, 9 months ago

Tony Holladay 2 years, 9 months ago

Rumor has it that he has been caught. More to that rumor but it is just hear say for now.

arielstarr 2 years, 9 months ago

Yeah you look real hard talking crap on the internet when no 1 knows the truth everyone talk about my dad he is a great man you guys don't know he said she said don't make it the truth some dude 20 bet you don't have a job either at least my dad has had plenty of them you know nothing grow up and talk about someone else

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

So . . . what was the last job he pulled?