Archive for Monday, March 19, 2012

Power outage reported in southwest Lawrence

March 19, 2012, 8:20 p.m. Updated March 20, 2012, 12:16 a.m.

A power outage has been reported in southwest Lawrence.

According to information from Westar Energy’s website, 2,738 customers in Douglas County were without power shortly before 8 p.m. in an area primarily south of 23rd Street and west of Iowa Street.

Leonard Allen, a Westar spokesman, said the outage was due to an equipment failure.

Westar operators were able to reroute power to 1,739 customers shortly after 8 p.m., and another 714 customers around 8:45 p.m., he said. As of midnight Tuesday, Westar's website was showing that all customers in the county had their power restored.

Comments

Matt_K 2 years ago

workinghard - We already have a smart meter... but it doesn't matter how smart it is when there isn't any power available. It still reads zero when the power is out.

thelonious 2 years, 1 month ago

I have noticed lately that Westar has started to employ the generic "equipment failure" to explain the many outages that they seem to have in Lawrence, rather than the once-popular "squirrel", "snake", or "bird" excuses that were once the norm. Whatever the cause, I think the correct term that you should be looking for, Westar, is "investment", as in "it is way past time for investment in equipment relacement and/or upgrades in Lawrence". Would be a much better use of your capital than all of the smart meter nonsense.

workinghard 2 years, 1 month ago

" Maybe it is time for some preventative maintenance on your transformers and switching equipment in SW Lawrence". Careful what you wish for. Some customers in the Cedarwood Apartment area (behind Hobby Lobby) had spikes in their electric bills the month the new smart meters were installed of around $30 to $35. The next month they dropped back down. Two of the houses that I know of were empty with electric bills of $30 or less which jumped up to $60 to $65 and then back down the next month. Evidently the contractor they had doing the work in that area didn't know how to enter readings into the new meters since this did not occur in all areas of Lawrence. There are several hundred apartments in that area, if they made an extra $30 of each of them.............. That's a lot of money. A lot of people are on levelized pay and might not even know they got charged more. Do you think Westar will admit such a huge mistake occured? I haven't had any luck so far. Maybe the LJW should look into it. Sounds a lot like the late fee charge the water deptment messed up on.

Matt_K 2 years, 1 month ago

LiddlleKiddies62 You are right... Thanks to the workers that restored the power!

Westar - this was the fourth time we've lost power in Prarie Meadows in the last seven months. Each of the four times have been over an hour and only one was storm related, and that time it was out for 18 hours!

Your slogan says,"Westar Energy - Doing whatever it takes to keep the lights on”. Maybe it is time for some preventative maintenance on your transformers and switching equipment in SW Lawrence.

Matt_K 2 years, 1 month ago

11:37 and the electricity is back on!

There are eight Westar trucks one block north of my house. I wish there was a system to tell Westar what we heard, rather than just being able to report that power is out at an address. It was obviously a significant problem in our area. Maybe they could have started working here earlier if we could have let them know about them know about the large explosions in our neighborhood.

Jennifer Klopp 2 years, 1 month ago

The power just came back on over here west of Lawrence Ave. Thank you Westar!

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 1 month ago

good thing this didn't happen last night

Matt_K 2 years, 1 month ago

The power in the Prairie Meadows isn't very reliable. Maybe Westar will have a better estimate for when the power will be restored tomorrow morning when their sundials start working again. Ugh!

Matt_K 2 years, 1 month ago

Actually, the power went out at about 7:30. I called the Westar residential power outage line at 7:37 PM. Their message said that based on historical estimates, the power would be on in one and a half to three and a half hours. When the power went out, I heard three loud, distinctive explosions to the north of my house. I had my back door and windows on the north side of the house open. It sounded like the explosions happened in the 3000 block of west 27th Street. All the power lines are underground in my area, however the lines are on poles about three blocks to the north. I just called Westar again at 10:09 PM, and the message now says, "There is a problem with a major circuit, and we estimate your power will be restored by 8 PM". Uh oh! I hope they don't mean 8PM on Tuesday...

abjejoca 2 years, 1 month ago

Power is still out on W. 29th St. So much for having it on in 30 minutes. A neighbor reported that when he called Westar about an hour ago they told him it's possible that his power won't be on till 8:00 AM.

Laura Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

I live just west of Holcolm and our power was out for an hour.

Lana Christie-Hayes 2 years, 1 month ago

I live just west of DQ on Iowa and 26th.. the lights flickered, but didn't go out.. Was wondering how close to me the power went out.

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 1 month ago

Actual power loss was just before 7:45.