Archive for Monday, March 19, 2012

Occupy Wall Street activists differ on direction

March 19, 2012

— A day after police broke up a rally at Manhattan’s Zuccotti Park and arrested dozens, Occupy Wall Street protesters said Sunday that their movement for economic justice would pick up momentum with the spring.

Activists listed issues including student debt, the environment and the November elections as priorities going forward. But some observers who watched workers hose down the now-barricaded park that was Occupy’s home wondered whether a movement so diffuse could accomplish anything.

“I’m really grateful to be part of a generation that wants change, ’cause we should all want change,” said Jennifer Campbell, a graduate student in documentary filmmaking at Hofstra University. “But I’m not sure what that change is, or if they know what that change is.”

The crackdown at Zuccotti happened late Saturday after hundreds of activists had gathered to mark the sixth-month birthday of the movement.

Police said 73 people were detained. It was unclear how many were still in custody Sunday.

As cleaning crews used hoses to erase all signs of the clash on Sunday, Occupy activists offered differing perspectives on where the movement is headed.

“We’re going to keep going,” said Christopher Guerra, who has spent many nights at Zuccotti since the movement started last Sept. 17. He added, “It’s going to get interesting during the election cycle. We’re going to be more of a presence in the political world. I know we have a couple of people running for office.”

Comments

cato_the_elder 2 years, 8 months ago

These people are not motivated by "justice." They're motivated by greed, envy, selfishness, immaturity, jealousy and hate - just as those they are emulating were in the late '60s. As the article states, "justice" means "I want my student loans, which I freely and knowingly borrowed from the taxpayers, forgiven."

Some day some of them will grow up. Those who don't will be the organizers of the next such fad, which will undoubtedly occur again decades hence.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

"Some day some of them will grow up."

Meaning what? That they'll adopt the motivation of " greed, envy, selfishness, immaturity, jealousy and hate" that you so admire in this society?

cato_the_elder 2 years, 8 months ago

They've already adopted those traits, Bozo. Read my post. Such traits are very prevalent among leftists.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

You merely projected those traits "them," people you don't know, and likely don't care to even meet.

Care to tell us which awful traits you project onto brown people now?

cato_the_elder 2 years, 8 months ago

Bozo, having lived through the late '60s and early '70s in two of the most politically radical leftist university communities in the country, I know leftists well. Their traits were just as I have described them then, and their younger clones' traits are exactly the same now. They spout the same stupid drivel, all of which is inspired by greed, envy, selfishness, immaturity, jealousy and hate, to which I would also add ignorance.

You're apparently one of them yourself. Only those traits could have caused you to libel me on this forum by accusing me of racial bigotry, of which you have absolutely no evidence.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

I bet there were plenty of brown people in those communities, too. And I bet that you don't know them any better than you do about leftists, both of whom you likely know nothing other than your petty made-up judgements from afar.

cato_the_elder 2 years, 8 months ago

You're wrong on that count, Bozo, more wrong than you will ever know.

By the way, if you want to spell "judgment" with an "e," then I suggest that you move to England.

Shane Garrett 2 years, 8 months ago

During the 1980's I saw the best political posters plastered upon the walls of buildings in Italy. They said Change for Change sake. I inquired about those posters. I was told they were for the communist party. Like the quote stated above by Jennifer Campbell, “But I’m not sure what that change is, or if they know what that change is.” I think they do know what change they want. They want to end capitalism.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

"They want to end capitalism."

No, they want to end the mindless cult of capitalism.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 8 months ago

It's called enlightened self interest.
We all possess it. We all use it. We all rationalize it.
Go with it.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 8 months ago

Occupy and Make Them Do it!

The spring months are likely to see the expansion of the Occupy movement.

Evicted from the little parks where they were encamped, the activists are joining housing occupations and other protests against predatory banks, student protests against rising tuition and debt, and labor strikes and protests against lockouts.

This is big news in American politics because we have not seen a protest movement with this much imagination, energy and traction for a long time.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

Like I said, JW, lose the intrusive and obnoxious audio with ads, or lose me (and likely lots of others.)