Archive for Monday, March 19, 2012

Occupy Wall Street activists differ on direction

March 19, 2012

— A day after police broke up a rally at Manhattan’s Zuccotti Park and arrested dozens, Occupy Wall Street protesters said Sunday that their movement for economic justice would pick up momentum with the spring.

Activists listed issues including student debt, the environment and the November elections as priorities going forward. But some observers who watched workers hose down the now-barricaded park that was Occupy’s home wondered whether a movement so diffuse could accomplish anything.

“I’m really grateful to be part of a generation that wants change, ’cause we should all want change,” said Jennifer Campbell, a graduate student in documentary filmmaking at Hofstra University. “But I’m not sure what that change is, or if they know what that change is.”

The crackdown at Zuccotti happened late Saturday after hundreds of activists had gathered to mark the sixth-month birthday of the movement.

Police said 73 people were detained. It was unclear how many were still in custody Sunday.

As cleaning crews used hoses to erase all signs of the clash on Sunday, Occupy activists offered differing perspectives on where the movement is headed.

“We’re going to keep going,” said Christopher Guerra, who has spent many nights at Zuccotti since the movement started last Sept. 17. He added, “It’s going to get interesting during the election cycle. We’re going to be more of a presence in the political world. I know we have a couple of people running for office.”

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years ago

Like I said, JW, lose the intrusive and obnoxious audio with ads, or lose me (and likely lots of others.)

Richard Heckler 2 years ago

Occupy and Make Them Do it!

The spring months are likely to see the expansion of the Occupy movement.

Evicted from the little parks where they were encamped, the activists are joining housing occupations and other protests against predatory banks, student protests against rising tuition and debt, and labor strikes and protests against lockouts.

This is big news in American politics because we have not seen a protest movement with this much imagination, energy and traction for a long time.

jhawkinsf 2 years ago

It's called enlightened self interest.
We all possess it. We all use it. We all rationalize it.
Go with it.

Shane Garrett 2 years ago

During the 1980's I saw the best political posters plastered upon the walls of buildings in Italy. They said Change for Change sake. I inquired about those posters. I was told they were for the communist party. Like the quote stated above by Jennifer Campbell, “But I’m not sure what that change is, or if they know what that change is.” I think they do know what change they want. They want to end capitalism.

cato_the_elder 2 years ago

These people are not motivated by "justice." They're motivated by greed, envy, selfishness, immaturity, jealousy and hate - just as those they are emulating were in the late '60s. As the article states, "justice" means "I want my student loans, which I freely and knowingly borrowed from the taxpayers, forgiven."

Some day some of them will grow up. Those who don't will be the organizers of the next such fad, which will undoubtedly occur again decades hence.

its_just_math 2 years, 1 month ago

"...Occupy Wall Street protesters said Sunday that their movement for economic justice would pick up momentum with the spring."

lol! Too darned cold to protest (whatever it is they're protesting) during the warmest winter in many years.