Archive for Monday, March 19, 2012

Driver ticketed in connection with Sunday afternoon accident on Iowa Street

March 19, 2012, 12:44 p.m. Updated March 20, 2012, 12:15 a.m.

A man was ticketed Sunday afternoon for running a red light and causing a three-car accident at the intersection of 25th and Iowa streets that sent two people to area hospitals, police said.

Kim Murphree, a Lawrence police spokeswoman, said Logan Ketcherside received the ticket after two witnesses said he ran a red light in his tan Chevrolet Silverado truck about 3:05 p.m. while headed north on Iowa Street. The Silverado struck a black Chrysler vehicle that was headed west on 25th Street waiting to turn south.

The impact caused the Chrysler to strike a blue Oldsmobile headed east on 25th Street.

The male driver of the Chrysler vehicle was flown via helicopter ambulance to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., with injuries not considered life-threatening. The injured man’s wife, a passenger in the Chrysler, was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with minor injuries.

The driver of the Oldsmobile was not injured, and none of the multiple occupants of the Silverado was taken to the hospital.

Rebecca Day, a 32-year-old Ottawa woman, told the Journal-World that she and her husband, Carson Evans Day, 34, were the two people in the Chrysler. She received a large facial bruise, while her husband, a radio producer for 105.9 KISS FM, suffered more serious injuries.

He has five broken ribs, a fractured pelvis, a small puncture in one of his lungs and some bruising on his head, Day said. He may stay in the hospital for another couple of days, she said, but his injuries will not require surgery.

“It was terrifying, and I feel grateful that we got out of it alive,” she said.

Comments

sad_lawrencian 2 years, 5 months ago

Again with the idiot drivers, especially those who drive pickup trucks and SUVs. Fines should be raised for infractions like running red/yellow lights and inattentive driving. Also, fines should increase in relation to the size of the car or truck. At some point, repeat offenders should lose their licenses. I hope for a speedy recovery for the injured man.

psnell98 2 years, 5 months ago

They should also be increased in relation of the severity of injuries sustained to the victims. Let the offender suffer from his/her actions.

Carol Bowen 2 years, 5 months ago

A ticket? That's it? What about assault with a deadly weapon?

Christine Anderson 2 years, 5 months ago

Which LJW staff member needs Grammar 101? " ....and none of the multiple occupants of the Silverado was taken to the hospital." "Occupants" is plural, so it should read "were taken to the hospital."

psnell98 2 years, 5 months ago

I am Carson's mother, and would like to express my appreciation to the first responders to this accident. Thank you so much for taking care of both my son and my daughter-in-law. This accident never should have happened. The young man driving the pickup truck was clearly at fault, apparently not paying attention to the road. I can't help but wonder if he was texting someone, or on a cell phone. It is sad that my son's and his wife's lives have now been needlessly disrupted, and they are suffering severe pain and mental anguish from this accident. My son will have a long recuperation ahead of him, as will my daughter-in-law. Rebecca's injuries are not minor in nature, and pre-existing health issues have now been aggravated and worsened due to this young man's negligence. Please, people, pay attention to your surroundings when you are driving. And as to "here_me (anonymous)";s comment, I have to agree with you that it should be assault with a deadly weapon.

carsonevans 2 years, 5 months ago

Lets not villify the driver of the truck. The fact is, we have a problem with distracted drivers, and i have done my share of texting or using my gps while driving. Yes, I am the Carson who was the driver of the concord. I am still in the hospital, unable to move or walk. I am so thankful to the Lawrence reside ts who helped me at the scene, the firefighters and police and the emt staff who helped. I've googled the driver of the truck who ran the light, and he looks like any other KU Finallystudent. He wants to get good grades, he is exwascited about ku basketbarunningll and heck, he may listen to the games on KissFM when I was running one of the games. Finally, he made a mistake. We dont need to bad mouth him, but ask him to learn from it, and perhaps share his story with others. I cannot imagine how he must feel knowing he has distroyed my life for the forseeable future. SeeingSeeing a grown man being cut out of a car screaming in pain, knowing he is to blame, and only him? If we start to attack him and assign untrue attributes topain him, we risk making him ignore the insident and turn defensive, and perhaps miss out on a teachable moment. We all make mistakes, we all have ran a stopsign or red light, he was simply not as lucky as we were to not have had anan accident. I trust that he would prefer some understanding while he deals with the legal and financial ramifications from this. I am the first to suggest to him, that if he handles this with honesty and humility, he may find that even the person hurt the most by his mistake would stand by his side asking for leniency and understanding.