Archive for Friday, March 16, 2012

Gun falls out of Topeka man’s pants when security removes him from bar

March 16, 2012, 10:30 a.m. Updated March 16, 2012, 2:32 p.m.

A 27-year-old Topeka man was arrested early Friday morning after a gun fell out of his pants while he was being removed by security from the 23rd Street Roadhouse, 1003 E. 23rd St.

Kim Murphree, a Lawrence police spokesman, said private security had attempted to remove the man from the premises but he fled when the weapon fell. Police recovered the gun in the 2300 block of Haskell Avenue and arrested him about 2:30 a.m. after he was found hiding in the bushes near 24th Street and Haskell Avenue.

The man faces charges in Lawrence Municipal Court for carrying a weapon in a bar, criminal trespassing and possession of marijuana. According to jail records, the man, Reginald Mortez Rucker, posted $500 bond noon Friday and was given notice to appear in municipal court 10 a.m. April 3.

Comments

Kent Fisher 2 years, 5 months ago

Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

Kent Fisher 2 years, 5 months ago

Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

Jake Esau 2 years, 5 months ago

Gotta love the emphasis on the fact that he's from Topeka

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 5 months ago

Not particularly. No more than the Police Spokeman being from Lawrence or the Municipal Court being in Lawrence. It's standard procedure to report the person's home of residence when they aren't identified by name.

Jake Esau 2 years, 5 months ago

But there was no reason to put it in the headline other than to add emphasis on Topeka. I agree mentioning it in the article is normal.

Fatty_McButterpants 2 years, 5 months ago

Isn't that place owned by the same guy that owned Last Call??

classclown 2 years, 5 months ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Ronaldo Ignacio) says…

If he hadn't of been hopping it would have not fallen off his hip. March 16, 2012 at 11:11 a.m.

===============================

I thought that was the kind of place where you hitched your thumbs in your belt and acted like you stepped in something.

classclown 2 years, 5 months ago

So it's hip hop the rest of the week?

grammaddy 2 years, 5 months ago

Nope. Last night was a video shoot for one of the bands that performed.

somedude20 2 years, 5 months ago

I will sleep better knowing that the town drunkards are protecting us from evil with their guns. I get it. Just driving drunk makes you a better driver (you know, they concentrate more because they know they are drunk so they drive better) the same goes with shooting. "I concentrate harder with my aim because I know I am drunk")

Lets see what tonight and tomorrow brings.........

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

Used to roller skate there. 'You put your left foot in & your gun falls out?' That's not how you hokie-pokie!

Scott Morgan 2 years, 5 months ago

Thought I heard the thump of somebody hitting rock bottom.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 5 months ago

The probablity that the guy had a carry permit? Approaching zero, I'd say.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 5 months ago

1) Marijuana possession 2) No (or really bad) holster 3) Wore it into a bar 4) Was enough of a disturbance to be thrown out

Although I obviously can't say for sure, these are four things that are uncharacteristic of a concealed carrier.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 5 months ago

Also, if I'm understanding this correctly, (and please correct me if I'm wrong), he wouldn't be in violation of city code 14-408 if he had a concealed carry license.

somedude20 2 years, 5 months ago

at least he did not Burress himself, that is a plus.....I think

JackMcKee 2 years, 5 months ago

Guess who owns this fine establishment? Dennis Steffes. The same guy that brought Lawrence Last Call.