Archive for Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Janitor uses mop to stop theft from Lawrence grocery store

March 14, 2012

A janitor at Dillons, 1000 W. 23rd St., used a mop to strike a suspect trying to steal a cash drawer early Wednesday and interrupted a theft from the grocery store, police said.

Kim Murphree, a Lawrence police spokeswoman, said a woman working in a check-out lane saw two men, dressed in all black, run behind another counter while one suspect removed an inner cash drawer from a register.

The suspect was trying to leave the store but dropped the cash drawer when the janitor hit him with a mop. The suspects then fled on foot, Murphree said. Police are still investigating the case.

Comments

headdoctor 3 years, 1 month ago

Awesome yes. Now Dillons is probably taking applications for a janitorial position because of the potential liability caused.

time2kill 3 years, 1 month ago

Beat me to it! Now I have to try to concoct a Stanley Spadowski tie-in.

ksjayhawk74 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm sure the employee is going to get a warning from management that they should not attempt to stop a theft in the future.

goldfish90 3 years, 1 month ago

way to go janitors! i'm glad no one got hurt. :)

Richard Ballard 3 years, 1 month ago

O.K.

Time to registrar mops! A licence to carry and some training would also be a good idea.

rc

mdlund0 3 years, 1 month ago

Hero??? Really? Guy saves his employer some cash and that makes him a hero? My, how we've diluted the meaning of the word!

labratt 3 years, 1 month ago

he·ro/ˈhi(ə)rō/Noun: 1.A person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities.

Yes, a person who performs a courageous act is a hero.

mdlund0 3 years, 1 month ago

"courage"/"courageous act"... still not seeing it. Thus, diluted.

mdlund0 3 years, 1 month ago

Johnny Knoxville and Steve-O also put themselves in harm's way on "Jacka$$". That doesn't make them hero's, it makes them idiots.

Armored_One 3 years, 1 month ago

Self glorification is the defining difference. Mop versus .38, or bigger isn't really what I would call a fair fight, but instead of stopping to think about it, he went after the guy.

That takes some marbles.

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

Well,, good for the janitor. Now the pathetic troll Mdlundo will be disgusting, and we will talk about how cowardly and disgusting M is. Well. M is nothing. The janitor stood up, he didn't think a person should steal, good for the janitor. The robber is going to get ribbed about getting mopped.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Hope he had a permit for that mop handle . .

8-)

kernal 3 years, 1 month ago

He (or she) should form a Ninja mop team for next year's St. Paddy's Day Parade! Dillon's mop brigade vs. Merc grocery carts.

LadyJ 3 years, 1 month ago

The scariest people dressed in black are those guys that go around town for the Church of Later Day Saints. I think that's the church they're with. They left pamphlets at my house today.

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

I really don't need people on my property that think they have a right to be there without my consent. Those door to door guys are often robbers. Christians or salespeople with big eyes, casing the joint. I don't see much difference between a robber and a guy claiming Jesus sent him to you, intruding. I use to work in a place that gave a lot of donations. The yard guy said, "Always be nice, but when the jesus guys come in, put your purse in the drawer and lock it up until they leave. Always watch out for the pious mouths who come in the door cloaked in Jesus. Don't open your door for a stranger or a group of stranger who hold up a sign saying trust me. If they don't leave, call the police. Don't get killed, raped or robbed because the pamphlet was the key to your door.

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

I requested the LJW not to deliver their junk mail. After a few mistakes. They have complied. I also ask door to to door salespersons for their city license, almost none have them. I called the police once, years ago. I have heard the commission changed the door to door license requirement. I need to look that up, Getting the salesperson to require a license took a lot of community work. Olin never thought the law should have been passed and he never enforced it if he could avoid it.

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

Most church door to doors, don't pay attention to signs. They are selling god, man, they are doing You the favor. of trespass. I would like to keep those characters from coming to my door. They should of been included in the door to door licensing requirement. All a rapist or burglar needs is a pamphlet. Don't open your door to those people.

Matthew Herbert 3 years, 1 month ago

I LOVE when I hear about Americans that refuse to be victims. Three cheers for the mopman! There are so few people left willing to stop others from violating them. We are after all the nation infamous for a terrorist attack that was started by a box-cutter.

patkindle 3 years, 1 month ago

probably just a couple of nice guys trying to score some cash for joints it shouldnt be wrong for them to go out and work for the money to buy dope thats why we have juries, to protect the innocent i hope the jurists are all dopers so the robbers can skate

Evan Ridenour 3 years, 1 month ago

I am sure the janitor got fired for the trouble.

juma 3 years, 1 month ago

A friend of mine tried to stop a shoplifter at a Dillons store (where she worked) and she was in BIG trouble for doing so. Told that next time she would be fired!! I guess the liability issues and insurance outweigh the loss of money.

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

Tax break, o m g. that is what a thief might think, nuts. Well, you haven't owned a business. Some people think stores claim such loss on insurance, NO. All you would achieve is to drive your insurance up. The more theft the more loss. You really should change your name or look up what happens in retail. They have to make up the loss by charging customers more. It takes a whopping theft to make it reasonable to file a claim. Tax break, o m g. Sounds like what a thief might think, nuts. Thefts are one of the reasons businesses fail, not how they make a profit.

patkindle 3 years, 1 month ago

the dopers and the druggies all know the loop holes they can steal about anything they want to and fall back on thier god given rights the lawrence liberals all hold so precious,

plus they can sue everyone for false arrest

the dopers know the drill better than anyone legit

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

tell me all about the successful lawsuits for false arrest. You should get off fox and talk to a counselor.

Lawrence Morgan 3 years, 1 month ago

Let's have his or her name and give them an award. I think it's tremendous what he or she did. Thank you!

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

You certainly send a mixed message when it comes to one person using a weapon against another. If it had been a gun instead of a mophandle would you have asked for the janitor to get the death penalty rather than an award?

Matthew Herbert 3 years, 1 month ago

Your question, though hypothetical in nature, is foolish. The point is, the man stopped a bad situation using non-deadly force. That is HIGHLY commendable.

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

No, that would have made a gruesome story. The robber was stopped with a mop.