Archive for Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Legislature decides to ignore plea for state dog

March 13, 2012

— A proposal to name a state dog has lost its bite.

A Kansas House committee on Monday declined to hear a bill that would have named the cairn terrier the official state dog. The breed is best known in Kansas for playing Toto in "The Wizard of Oz."

Brenda Moore, of the South Central Kansas Kennel Club, originally asked State Rep. Ed Trimmer, a Democrat from Winfield, to introduce the bill.

She said she plans to conduct a statewide campaign this summer, including a petition drive to present to state politicians.

The Wichita Eagle reports Trimmer said he plans to re-introduce the bill next year. In the meantime, he will visit with Kansas schoolchildren about the process of getting the Legislature to pass a law.

Comments

formerfarmer 2 years, 9 months ago

If they would have stated the cairn terrier was anti-abortion and anti-contraceptive, it would have sailed right through.

Liberty275 2 years, 9 months ago

Do you know of any pro-abortion terriers that wear condoms?

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 9 months ago

Dear Ed Trimmer, Please continue to waste tax payer money and Congressional floor time re-introducing legislation that has no functional purpose. MORE legislation is exactly what this country needs, especially legislation aimed at addressing none of the concerns of the state.

Boston_Corbett 2 years, 9 months ago

What if the breed chooses to reject the designation?

KSWingman 2 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps the Legislature could designate the zy-goat as the state animal!

kernal 2 years, 9 months ago

Good grief. If Ms. Moore has that much time on her hands, perhaps she could do some work for some of the animal rescue groups instead of asking the KS Legislature to waste it's time for her cute (rolling my eyes) idea.

Now, about a state cat...

kernal 2 years, 9 months ago

And here all these years, I thought it was the Western Meadowlark. At least that was the bird pictured when I was in elementary school according to my grandfather, the source of all valuable information.

Boston_Corbett 2 years, 9 months ago

How about a good sled-dog? I remember a presentation at the local library where I learned so much one time about them. I also presume wolf-dog hybrids are out, since the practice is highly frowned on.

hyperinflate 2 years, 9 months ago

I would wager that the song "God Loves a Terrier" (about a Cairn Terrier) will weigh heavily in its favor.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

Miss Gulch: That dog's a menace to the community. I'm taking him to the sheriff and make sure he's destroyed.

Dorothy: Destroyed? Toto? Oh, you can't! You mustn't! Auntie Em! Uncle Henry! You won't let her, will you?