Archive for Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sisters give birth within 1 day of each other

March 11, 2012

The maternity ward at Lawrence Memorial Hospital was teeming with relatives and friends from the same family last week.

Not one but two members of the Cobb family gave birth in the unit, with the same obstetrician delivering both babies.

Sisters Courtney and Jessalyn Cobb gave birth within one day of each other: Jessalyn had a daughter, Laikyn Dondlinger, on March 7, and Courtney gave birth to a son, Maxson Poeverlein, the very next day.

Lawrence sisters Jessalyn Cobb, with her new baby girl Laikyn Dondlinger, left, and Courtney Cobb with her new baby boy Maxson Poeverlein, had their babies on consecutive days March 7 and 8 at the Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

The sisters, who were already dazed by the fact that they were having babies to begin with, sort of shrugged off the unusual nature of the event. After all, they had just spent nine months being pregnant together, naturally they would give birth around the same time.

But the nurses told the sisters that nothing like this had ever happened before at LMH. After seeing expressions of surprise stretch across the faces of those involved in the labor, the sisters began to acknowledge just how unlikely the phenomenon was.

“As soon as I was induced, (my sister Courtney) came in … and said that she was going to be induced the next day,” said Jessalyn. “(Later) I was still trying to deal with a new baby and my sister was right down the hall getting ready to have a baby.”

After Courtney gave birth, Jessalyn whisked Laikyn away from the neonatal unit and hustled down the hall to meet her nephew, Maxson.

Nine months ago, Jessalyn was the first learn she was pregnant. Courtney found out about her own pregnancy a week later. Each watched in awe as the changes that occurred to her own body happened to her sister at relatively the same pace.

“It was really weird but also really cool at the same time,” said Courtney. “It was nice to have someone who was going through the same thing. Being pregnant together brought us even more closer than we already were.”

Their mother, Chrissy Immenschuh, jokes that the sisters must have planned the event.

“I thought they did it on purpose to drive me crazy,” Immenschuh said. “I teased them, but you know, everything happens for a reason.”

The babies were near the same weight, with Laikyn at 7 pounds 12 ounces, and Maxson at 7 pounds 4 ounces.

“This has all just been a really crazy ride,” says Jessalyn. “It’s going to be like they’re brother and sister, it’s not even going to be like they’re cousins. Watching my nephew and my daughter grow up together is probably going to be the best experience I could have dreamed up.”

Comments

sbward1 3 years, 1 month ago

Congratulations to grandma Chrissy!

classclown 3 years, 1 month ago

================================================

They were both induced. Since this did not happen naturally, it does not count. Nothing to see here but someone trying to manufacture an event. Charlatans!

Move along.

classclown 3 years, 1 month ago

And seriously, what's with the funny names?

overthemoon 3 years, 1 month ago

And you know they aren't married how? Both babies appear to have their paternal last name. Women often do keep their maiden names, you know.

KUMFL 3 years, 1 month ago

Geez people... Who cares if they we're induced?! Maybe it was for medical reasons? Gotta love judgmental people! I'm not marred and I have a baby that has two loving parents who are together and provide for her. Do you know these people personally? Or just having a bad day?

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

slugnuts 3 years, 1 month ago

Only in Lawrence Kansas can you expect so much rudeness regarding such a joyful occasion! I was thinking about selecting the "suggest removal" option for CLASSCLOWN AND OLETIMER but then I thought it was best to leave it, as it should be considered an embarrassment to these posters that they are so thoughtless, insensitive, tacky and not to mention ignorant! What is most important is that these babies and their parents have a very large support system and the negativity shown here today has no effect on them! What they do feel is pride in the fact that they would NEVER make negative comments about others like those that have been made about them here today! Congratulations to all mothers and fathers. Married or not!!

jcobb2389 3 years, 1 month ago

mcmandy 3 years, 1 month ago

Congrats to you and your sister! Both babies look like dolls :)

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

jgurney83 3 years, 1 month ago

classclown 3 years, 1 month ago

jgurney83 (anonymous) says…

Congrats! My sister and I went into labor/had our daughters one day apart at LMH as well! (May 17 & May 18, 2009.) It was a very cool experience that I'll never forget. March 11, 2012 at 6:16 p.m.

=============================================

From the story... "But the nurses told the sisters that nothing like this had ever happened before at LMH"

Seems someone is lying. And I don't think it's jgurney that's the one telling the lies.

Jgurney did the births of your daughter and niece occur naturally rather than induced? I'm thinking perhaps they were natural and thus LMH was unable to see it coming and set up a press event to cover it.

KUMFL 3 years, 1 month ago

Lying? Really? Haha it's been three years! They just needed an article and this was a cool idea! You are thinking way too hard about this. Congrats!!!! Babies are the best gift ever :)

jgurney83 3 years, 1 month ago

Yes, both of our labors began naturally. I was one week past my due date and my sister wasn't due for another week or so.