Archive for Saturday, March 10, 2012

Enthusiastic crowd turns out for Paul rally ahead of today’s GOP caucuses

Republican presidential candidate walks on stage to the excitement of the crowd during a Ron Paul rally held Friday, March 9, 2012 at the Lied Center on the campus of Kansas University.

March 10, 2012

A smaller government with greater individual liberties would bring economic prosperity to Kansas and throughout the country.

That was Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul’s message to a packed house at the Lied Center on Kansas University’s campus Friday night. It was his third appearance of the day in the state, after events in Topeka and Wichita, ahead of today’s statewide caucuses.

A sea of Ron Paul supports flood the Lied Center before a rally held Friday, March 9, 2012 at the Lied Center on the campus of Kansas University.

Lawrence resident Courtney Ducharme gives republican presidential candidate Ron Paul a hug following a rally held Friday, March 9, 2012 at the Lied Center on the campus of Kansas University. When Ducharme spoke to Paul, she apologized for their previous meeting. During a rally in Iowa in 2007, Ducharme approached Paul and said, "Hi, Ron Paul I love you, can I give you a hug?" and then quickly hugged him. "I think I scared him," she said laughing.

“If you have a free society and sound money, it should help everybody,” Paul said during a media conference after the event. “People say, ‘How are you going to help one state versus another state?’ But I think that if you provide equal liberty and equal justice under the law, everybody benefits from that.”

Garrett Wagner, a student in New York who returned to vote in his home district in Lawrence, strongly agreed with Paul’s message of a decisively hands-off approach to the economy.

Ron Paul media Q&A

Republican presidential candidate spoke briefly with area members of the media after his talk Friday, March 9 at the Lied Center on Kansas University's campus.

“Our debt is killing our economy,” Wagner said. “I support Dr. Paul because his plan to phase out the IRS and eliminating the Federal Reserve would mean everyone would have more money.”

Young people like Wagner were out in full force at the event, organized by Lawrence’s Youth for Ron Paul group. Enthusiastic chants of “President Paul! President Paul!” broke out within the crowd of more than 1,000 before he spoke, as did standing ovations during the hourlong public event. However, without having won a single state contest outright, the Texas congressional representative has a long shot of even securing the nomination. When asked about his small number of delegates, he responded, “I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people.”

In Kansas’ caucuses four years ago, he won just 11 percent of the vote, behind winner Mike Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor, and eventual nominee Sen. John McCain of Arizona. In that race, he did beat out this election cycle’s apparent front-runner, Mitt Romney.

Regardless of the delegate count, Paul’s message has always been about standing up for small government, personal choice and what he sees as strict adherence to the Constitution, a message that went over well with Friday’s crowd. He began with an explanation of how he’d change foreign policy if elected, shifting the military’s focus to “only national defense” and no engagement without direct threat. That policy falls in line with his overall opposition to government spending.

“We can’t afford these wars and we ought to quit ’em,” he said.

Reining in costs

In the vein of cutting both government and its spending, Paul proposed repealing 40,000 “ridiculous” laws and cutting $1 trillion from the congressional budget within his first year in office, plans he said in a key point of his speech would empower individual Americans and increase their personal wealth.

“I’ve worked in Washington some 30 years; I’ve met a lot of politicians,” he said. “Let me tell you, they’re not smart enough to spend your money — you should spend your money!”

And another crowd chant, this time of “End the Fed!” referring to the Federal Reserve, broke out temporarily. Paul continued speaking, apparently unflustered.

He continued to speak of rejecting bailouts and entitlement systems of all kinds, saying “no to bailouts of Wall Street, no to bailouts of European ‘wall streets,’” and “no one is entitled to somebody else’s wealth.”

The speech went on to tackle even more personal individual liberty standpoints — issues of drug legalization and access to contraception.

“I personally abhor drug use, but it’s about personal choice,” he said on his controversial campaign point to end the so-called war on drugs. “You cannot have the government control what we put in our bodies ... I just want to live my own life and make my own choices.”

Paul, an Ob-Gyn by practice, is pro-life but also admitted prescribing and being a supporter of contraceptives, saying on Friday that the issue that’s been a hot topic for the Republican candidates is actually about the higher cost of government-involved health care. It’s not the government’s choice to get involved, he said, reiterating the hands-off message he applied to everything from military spending to the idea of American exceptionalism.

“We don’t need social authoritarians,” he said. “We don’t need government unless somebody hurts somebody.”

Democracy in action

His views and the vigor of his supporters were clear, though his chances in the election may not be. Throughout the night, speakers encouraged participation in today’s caucuses, which, for Douglas County, take place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Free State High School, 4700 Overland Drive.

“It takes an irate minority keen on starting brushfires of liberty,” he said in encouragement of action by supporters. “Freedom is an old idea, tyranny is an old one. When it comes time, tell everyone you want to move forward.”

Paul didn’t take questions from the audience, but did allow for a few personal photographs and book-signings backstage, including one with area resident Sean Palmer, a longtime supporter who was pumped up by the libertarian rhetoric.

“I’m here to show my absolute support,” Palmer said. “I hope to see (Paul) win Kansas, win the nomination and become the president.”

Comments

distant_voice 2 years, 1 month ago

I can't believe there are that many Kansas Republicans eager to nominate Santorum and ensure an Obama landslide victory. Proves that Republicans on the far right are just as stupid as Democrats on the far left have been.

Enlightenment 2 years, 1 month ago

Curious as to why there were so many people at the Lied Center to listen to Ron Paul, but he received so few votes in the caucus.

Godot 2 years, 1 month ago

One of my favorite lines last night went something like this: "I wonder how many in Congress would have voted for the Patriot Act if it had been called The Repeal of the 4th Amendment? Because that is what it is."

Paul revealed an aspect of the assassination of Anwar Al Awlaki I had not known before. I had read that Awlaki was killed by a drone strike on the car he was riding in, and that a friend, who was also a US citizen, happened to be in the car with him, so one US citizen was targeted, but two were killed. I guess that would be called collateral damage, or, perhaps, bagging two birds with one stone.

Paul says there was a third citizen taken out in that operation. He said that Awlaki's 16 year old son, also a US citizen, was targeted and killed in a second strike, when the son was outside "barbecuing with a friend." I didn't catch whether the friend was also killed.

Awlaki may have been a bad guy, as he was accused of various crimes, but he was never charged, much less tried and convicted, and now we will never know if he was guilty because he has already been executed. The 16 year old apparently committed the heinous crime of being the son of someone this administration deemed to be a threat. No trial, no charges, just sudden death. This action was taken under cover of the Repeal of the Fourth Amendment,,,,er,,,,,The Patriot Act.

oneeye_wilbur 2 years, 1 month ago

Would Ron Paul allow four unrelated students to live in a house, that some believe only a family (daddy, momma, and kids, plenty of them) should live in?

Ask Ron?

voevoda 2 years, 1 month ago

I see that the "Libertarian" posters are channeling their inner Karl Marx today, preaching the withering away of the state and a utopian future if only people would embrace the proper economic ideology.

Mike Ford 2 years, 1 month ago

I love how Mike Parks of the Shannon and Parks show just loves Ron Paul.... as does the rest of the GOP......I'm betting on snow in the Egyptian desert before his GOP nomination happens.....well.....with global warming it probably will happen.... I also love all of the David Dukes and other tolerent crazies in Ron Paul's past. Al least he's not as crazy as his kid in Kentucky. Ron Paul is basically a Republican who knows what to say always drawn in the kids.....we were all kids once....right....

JackMcKee 2 years, 1 month ago

funny how "libertarians" are the first ones to hit the "suggest removal" button when they read something unflattering about Ron Paul.

Boston_Corbett 2 years, 1 month ago

I bet they had to wipe off LibertyOne and Liberty275's seats after they went back to study hall.

Mkh 2 years, 1 month ago

There was over 2,000 people there last night, not 1,000. The auditorium was filled over capacity with some people having to watch the speech on the tv screens in lobby. The capacity of the Lied Center is 2,020 according to a Google search that took me 10 seconds.. Very lazy reporting by the LJW.

JackMcKee 2 years, 1 month ago

Greg Cooper 2 years, 1 month ago

Liberty_One, let me ask you a few very basic questions, the answers to which would help me understand your view of how things could work.

1) If company K wanted to sell a product, say a food product, and they found they could produce it less expensively by adding a known carcinogen, what would the Libertarian response be, if any?

2) If the need for a highway arose, for whatever reason, that would benefit a group of self-sustaining citizens, but that highway had to run through property owned by another set of self-sustaining citizens, what would be the result?

3) If the Internal Revenus Service suddenly winked out of existence, in what way would the government be in business to "protect the property rights" of the citizens?

Keith 2 years, 1 month ago

Nice to see that everyone in Lawrence who will vote for Ron Paul was at the Lied last night.

larryville99 2 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like just a bunch of racist pale faces getting together to conspire ways to pave over the "sacred burial grounds" and "wetlands."

yourworstnightmare 2 years, 1 month ago

Nuh-T.

I hope Paul runs as a third party candidate. He has a lot of support, apparently.

headdoctor 2 years, 1 month ago

Not worded the way I would have put it tomatogrower but you got the point across. If these concepts were so great and functional, Fred Koch would have pulled this off decades ago when the member numbers of the Jon Birch Society were at all time highs. Even more accordingly than the modern day Libertarians.

tomatogrower 2 years, 1 month ago

Ah yes. Pay no more taxes and have more money. Except someone needs to maintain the roads, so the highways will be sold to private companies and you will have to pay a toll every time you want to go somewhere.

And start saving up money now kid, because those private school are not cheap. Of course, if you don't have enough money to pay the toll, you can't get to work anyway, and you can homeschool your kids in between planting your garden and feeding the livestock. If you can't get to work, then you'll have to feed yourself. And besides you've been to school, you can teach. Anyone can teach.

Then there are the choices you'll have to make. Pay for fire protection or not? Well, someone started a small fire along the side of my house. I suspect it was the company that wants me to buy fire protection, but I'm not sure, and there are no police to find out. I guess I'll have to pay, if I don't want my house to burn down.

And thank goodness you haven't been forced to buy evil health insurance. When you have all this extra money you'll have plenty of money to pay for any medical care, and if you don't you can just tough it out and die.

It's a good thing you are going to have more money. You are going to need it. And you'll probably have to take a second job to get even more money. You don't' need no stinking community to help you out. Community has "commun' in it, and we all know that's commie stuff. I am a rugged individual, I don't need no stinking country or community.

Lateralis 2 years, 1 month ago

"If nothing else the Government has trouble keeping corporations from running over anything in their path now. "

That's because the government is owned by corporations. Special interest money. Obama has plenty of that. If you get rid of the Government involvement and opportunity for influence then you can rely on the legal system to keep private corporations from ruining private citizens and their property. The laws are shaped and bent for corporations because of their lobbying power.

Ron is the only incorruptible politician.

"Man has far to much greed for power and money for some of his ideas to work."

The same can be said for hope and change. Except hope and change is owned by the Banks and war hawks.

headdoctor 2 years, 1 month ago

I used the term typical and have posted elsewhere before that politicians are pretty much all short sighted.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 1 month ago

"typical short sighted thought" ??? What would you consider our current administration who spends amidst a $16 trillion debt? Our debt rose a NATIONAL RECORD $200 billion in February alone. And yet we play along pretending that debt will just 'go away'? That's short sighted and perhaps truly our greatest national security threat

headdoctor 2 years, 1 month ago

Just more plans than look good on paper but not in practical application. There are parts of Ron Paul's ideas that could have some merit. I have a real problem with a blanket concept with no explanation in detail what happens after the departments are dismantled. There is nothing in Ron Paul's Bill HR2755 that covers anything other than dismantling the Federal Reserve. His plan for the IRS is no different. He just wants to make it go away. Typical short sighted thought without considering long term effects.

Man has far to much greed for power and money for some of his ideas to work. I don't see citizens, corporations, governments or nations just getting together for a group hug with a guaranteed plan of support and promise not to screw everyone over at the first opportunity. If nothing else the Government has trouble keeping corporations from running over anything in their path now. Who knows what would happen with less laws or the ability to enforce what laws there were with a necked back government.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 1 month ago

Like any 3rd party candidate (despite running as a Republican, he will end up on the ballot as a Libertarian) he is not in this to win, but rather offer enough of a threat to the major parties in stealing votes to cause them to HAVE to pay attention and possibly adopt his ideas. Ask Al Gore what happens when you ignore 3rd party candidates.....or George Bush in'92 with Perot.

Keith Richards 2 years, 1 month ago

Who cares how full it was, this guy still stands no chance.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 1 month ago

The count of 1,000 is WAY short- the pre-registration line an hour before the event wound around the building and through the parking lot. Prior to his speech ushers were wandering the aisles looking for any empty seats to put the last people into. Whatever Lied holds is the approximate attendance

Lateralis 2 years, 1 month ago

It was entirely full. Not one empty seat.

KevinBacon 2 years, 1 month ago

I think it should be "freedom is a new idea". The Lied Center was packed tonight, at least 3/4 full.