Archive for Saturday, March 10, 2012

Enthusiastic crowd turns out for Paul rally ahead of today’s GOP caucuses

Republican presidential candidate walks on stage to the excitement of the crowd during a Ron Paul rally held Friday, March 9, 2012 at the Lied Center on the campus of Kansas University.

March 10, 2012

A smaller government with greater individual liberties would bring economic prosperity to Kansas and throughout the country.

That was Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul’s message to a packed house at the Lied Center on Kansas University’s campus Friday night. It was his third appearance of the day in the state, after events in Topeka and Wichita, ahead of today’s statewide caucuses.

A sea of Ron Paul supports flood the Lied Center before a rally held Friday, March 9, 2012 at the Lied Center on the campus of Kansas University.

Lawrence resident Courtney Ducharme gives republican presidential candidate Ron Paul a hug following a rally held Friday, March 9, 2012 at the Lied Center on the campus of Kansas University. When Ducharme spoke to Paul, she apologized for their previous meeting. During a rally in Iowa in 2007, Ducharme approached Paul and said, "Hi, Ron Paul I love you, can I give you a hug?" and then quickly hugged him. "I think I scared him," she said laughing.

“If you have a free society and sound money, it should help everybody,” Paul said during a media conference after the event. “People say, ‘How are you going to help one state versus another state?’ But I think that if you provide equal liberty and equal justice under the law, everybody benefits from that.”

Garrett Wagner, a student in New York who returned to vote in his home district in Lawrence, strongly agreed with Paul’s message of a decisively hands-off approach to the economy.

Ron Paul media Q&A

Republican presidential candidate spoke briefly with area members of the media after his talk Friday, March 9 at the Lied Center on Kansas University's campus.

“Our debt is killing our economy,” Wagner said. “I support Dr. Paul because his plan to phase out the IRS and eliminating the Federal Reserve would mean everyone would have more money.”

Young people like Wagner were out in full force at the event, organized by Lawrence’s Youth for Ron Paul group. Enthusiastic chants of “President Paul! President Paul!” broke out within the crowd of more than 1,000 before he spoke, as did standing ovations during the hourlong public event. However, without having won a single state contest outright, the Texas congressional representative has a long shot of even securing the nomination. When asked about his small number of delegates, he responded, “I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people.”

In Kansas’ caucuses four years ago, he won just 11 percent of the vote, behind winner Mike Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor, and eventual nominee Sen. John McCain of Arizona. In that race, he did beat out this election cycle’s apparent front-runner, Mitt Romney.

Regardless of the delegate count, Paul’s message has always been about standing up for small government, personal choice and what he sees as strict adherence to the Constitution, a message that went over well with Friday’s crowd. He began with an explanation of how he’d change foreign policy if elected, shifting the military’s focus to “only national defense” and no engagement without direct threat. That policy falls in line with his overall opposition to government spending.

“We can’t afford these wars and we ought to quit ’em,” he said.

Reining in costs

In the vein of cutting both government and its spending, Paul proposed repealing 40,000 “ridiculous” laws and cutting $1 trillion from the congressional budget within his first year in office, plans he said in a key point of his speech would empower individual Americans and increase their personal wealth.

“I’ve worked in Washington some 30 years; I’ve met a lot of politicians,” he said. “Let me tell you, they’re not smart enough to spend your money — you should spend your money!”

And another crowd chant, this time of “End the Fed!” referring to the Federal Reserve, broke out temporarily. Paul continued speaking, apparently unflustered.

He continued to speak of rejecting bailouts and entitlement systems of all kinds, saying “no to bailouts of Wall Street, no to bailouts of European ‘wall streets,’” and “no one is entitled to somebody else’s wealth.”

The speech went on to tackle even more personal individual liberty standpoints — issues of drug legalization and access to contraception.

“I personally abhor drug use, but it’s about personal choice,” he said on his controversial campaign point to end the so-called war on drugs. “You cannot have the government control what we put in our bodies ... I just want to live my own life and make my own choices.”

Paul, an Ob-Gyn by practice, is pro-life but also admitted prescribing and being a supporter of contraceptives, saying on Friday that the issue that’s been a hot topic for the Republican candidates is actually about the higher cost of government-involved health care. It’s not the government’s choice to get involved, he said, reiterating the hands-off message he applied to everything from military spending to the idea of American exceptionalism.

“We don’t need social authoritarians,” he said. “We don’t need government unless somebody hurts somebody.”

Democracy in action

His views and the vigor of his supporters were clear, though his chances in the election may not be. Throughout the night, speakers encouraged participation in today’s caucuses, which, for Douglas County, take place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Free State High School, 4700 Overland Drive.

“It takes an irate minority keen on starting brushfires of liberty,” he said in encouragement of action by supporters. “Freedom is an old idea, tyranny is an old one. When it comes time, tell everyone you want to move forward.”

Paul didn’t take questions from the audience, but did allow for a few personal photographs and book-signings backstage, including one with area resident Sean Palmer, a longtime supporter who was pumped up by the libertarian rhetoric.

“I’m here to show my absolute support,” Palmer said. “I hope to see (Paul) win Kansas, win the nomination and become the president.”

Comments

KevinBacon 2 years, 6 months ago

I think it should be "freedom is a new idea". The Lied Center was packed tonight, at least 3/4 full.

tomatogrower 2 years, 6 months ago

And yet, the numbers at the rally in Kansas against Brownback and Kobach were accurate? Even though there were about twice as many people there than was reported. Now you know how it feels.

KevinBacon 2 years, 6 months ago

I think you're assuming I'm on "the other team". I don't support Brownback, don't know what you're referring to and don't really care.

I've been a Paul supporter for a while though so trust me, I know how it feels.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 6 months ago

The count of 1,000 is WAY short- the pre-registration line an hour before the event wound around the building and through the parking lot. Prior to his speech ushers were wandering the aisles looking for any empty seats to put the last people into. Whatever Lied holds is the approximate attendance

propauled 2 years, 6 months ago

You should approach Ron Pauls candidacy as one of real hope and a return to the America we had in the 1950's where every young person had a chance to elevate themselves to a more prosperous future. Those people who would vote for someone because they thought that candidate had a better chance of winning is a real loser. All that Ron Paul stands for is exactly what this nation needs. We have been robbed of our wealth through inflation. Our military has been used as murder inc. for the enrichment of the multinational corporations. Our military has not died for our freedom but just as Henry Kissenger said. "Military men are just dumb stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy." Anyone voting against Ron Paul is voting against our military and the young people that are used as mercenarys for the Corporatocracy.

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

Well, in the 1950's women didn't have an equal chance of much.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 6 months ago

Like any 3rd party candidate (despite running as a Republican, he will end up on the ballot as a Libertarian) he is not in this to win, but rather offer enough of a threat to the major parties in stealing votes to cause them to HAVE to pay attention and possibly adopt his ideas. Ask Al Gore what happens when you ignore 3rd party candidates.....or George Bush in'92 with Perot.

headdoctor 2 years, 6 months ago

Just more plans than look good on paper but not in practical application. There are parts of Ron Paul's ideas that could have some merit. I have a real problem with a blanket concept with no explanation in detail what happens after the departments are dismantled. There is nothing in Ron Paul's Bill HR2755 that covers anything other than dismantling the Federal Reserve. His plan for the IRS is no different. He just wants to make it go away. Typical short sighted thought without considering long term effects.

Man has far to much greed for power and money for some of his ideas to work. I don't see citizens, corporations, governments or nations just getting together for a group hug with a guaranteed plan of support and promise not to screw everyone over at the first opportunity. If nothing else the Government has trouble keeping corporations from running over anything in their path now. Who knows what would happen with less laws or the ability to enforce what laws there were with a necked back government.

headdoctor 2 years, 6 months ago

You may find it hard to believe but yes it can be worse. Plans like that of Ron Paul could just a easily turn the lives of 90% of the population into a modern version of the US in the 1800s in just a matter of a couple of years.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

Somalia has pretty much the level of government that Paul wants.

Last I checked, Somalia is definitely worse.

KevinBacon 2 years, 6 months ago

Paul isn't an anarchist. He believes government should protect our rights.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

How can they do that without "stealing" whatever resources are necessary?

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

That's an excellent question.

Once taxation is defined as theft, there is no legitimate taxation, and thus no way for the government to get revenue, except for voluntary donations, I guess.

headdoctor 2 years, 6 months ago

Paul may not act as an anarchist but there are many of the modern followers who are. The problem is that there is a very fine line between the two here in the US.

propauled 2 years, 6 months ago

Not at all. Under the Constitutional law you would be held accountable for your actions. If you harmed another person, physically, or illegally financially you would be tried by a jury of your peers and if found guilty you would be made to pay restitution, where as the system that exists to day, you may be fined Thousands of dollars and sent to prison and the person you damaged would not be made whole but the corporate courts of today would pocket the money for the Judges retirement fund. You have never known freedom and the schools have dumbed down the public to such a point that they cannot reason. See Charlotte Iserbyte's book. "The deliberate dumbing down of America." She was a highly positioned person in the Dept of education appointed by Ronald Reagan and discovered the documents to prove this fact. They fired her for exposing it. We have a choice, Ron Paul and his vision of liberty or a Communist/Facist style government that this country has become.

propauled 2 years, 6 months ago

Liberty_One Well said. I agree 100 % and why can't others see that it would be to their benefit and the benefit of future generations ??? As it is The government can pick the winners and losers by allocating money to those businesses they want to succeed and at the same time the congress has been engaging in insider trading. A win win for their buddys, A lose lose for the public.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 6 months ago

"typical short sighted thought" ??? What would you consider our current administration who spends amidst a $16 trillion debt? Our debt rose a NATIONAL RECORD $200 billion in February alone. And yet we play along pretending that debt will just 'go away'? That's short sighted and perhaps truly our greatest national security threat

headdoctor 2 years, 6 months ago

I wished our national debt was just $16 trillion. Try a figure of 10 times that for both on and off budget debt.

headdoctor 2 years, 6 months ago

I used the term typical and have posted elsewhere before that politicians are pretty much all short sighted.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

So the better answer would be to take control of government away from corporations, not to eliminate government.

Merely doing away with government will do much more to enable the Kochs of the world to do whatever they want, with total impunity, than to give "liberty" to the vast majority.

Liberty275 2 years, 6 months ago

No, government is the god of the left. It must be almighty and omnipotent. Just like the other false gods, it promises the better life the gullible can't create for themselves.

tomatogrower 2 years, 6 months ago

Ah yes. Pay no more taxes and have more money. Except someone needs to maintain the roads, so the highways will be sold to private companies and you will have to pay a toll every time you want to go somewhere.

And start saving up money now kid, because those private school are not cheap. Of course, if you don't have enough money to pay the toll, you can't get to work anyway, and you can homeschool your kids in between planting your garden and feeding the livestock. If you can't get to work, then you'll have to feed yourself. And besides you've been to school, you can teach. Anyone can teach.

Then there are the choices you'll have to make. Pay for fire protection or not? Well, someone started a small fire along the side of my house. I suspect it was the company that wants me to buy fire protection, but I'm not sure, and there are no police to find out. I guess I'll have to pay, if I don't want my house to burn down.

And thank goodness you haven't been forced to buy evil health insurance. When you have all this extra money you'll have plenty of money to pay for any medical care, and if you don't you can just tough it out and die.

It's a good thing you are going to have more money. You are going to need it. And you'll probably have to take a second job to get even more money. You don't' need no stinking community to help you out. Community has "commun' in it, and we all know that's commie stuff. I am a rugged individual, I don't need no stinking country or community.

tomatogrower 2 years, 6 months ago

Please show me that evidence. Exclude all the private companies who have ripped off the government. The military budget was a lot more manageable when privates had to peel the potatoes. Now they pay "private" groups like Halliburton to do those things. They pay them very well.

In an ideal world I would agree with you. But we live in a world where a billion dollars just isn't enough for some people. And power over is more important that anything. Most of the people in the United States no longer participate in their government, so I can see how you no longer consider yourself a part of it.

Witness the whiners on here who complain about the city commission, but never attend any of the meetings or even read the minutes of those meetings. Anyone in the city of Lawrence can volunteer their time to work on the task forces and committees. Witness how many people don't vote, and don't even know how to register to vote. They have chosen to disconnect themselves, and that has nothing to do with the government.

It has everything to do with the "me" generation. And yes, as a baby boomer, I see my generation has been partially responsible for that, but that's not what was intended when us "hippies" were trying to make the world a better place. Now it's just me, me, me and I don't see the Libertarian tenets changing that. In fact, they seem to promote the me generation.

And before you tell me I know nothing about the Libertarian party, let me tell you that I actually voted for Ron Paul in 1980. I even attended the national convention in '79 in LA. It's a nice theory, and you could make it work in small groups of like minded people, but in a large diverse group, it won't work. Just like communism.

Liberty275 2 years, 6 months ago

"It's a nice theory, and you could make it work in small groups of like minded people, but in a large diverse group, it won't work. Just like communism. "

That may not be far off. I've always thought that if we less obtrusive federal government and states that could tailor law to suit the wishes of the people, we could choose our political nirvana by moving to a state that better suits our beliefs.

Instead, we have federal government out of control, micro-managing our lives, and state laws bribed into existence with federal handouts in exchange for speed limits and morality laws.

Mkh 2 years, 6 months ago

Roads are not paid for by the federal income tax. In fact, according to the Grace Commission report, virtually NO government programs are funded by the federal income tax.

headdoctor 2 years, 6 months ago

Not worded the way I would have put it tomatogrower but you got the point across. If these concepts were so great and functional, Fred Koch would have pulled this off decades ago when the member numbers of the Jon Birch Society were at all time highs. Even more accordingly than the modern day Libertarians.

yourworstnightmare 2 years, 6 months ago

Nuh-T.

I hope Paul runs as a third party candidate. He has a lot of support, apparently.

Keith 2 years, 6 months ago

Nice to see that everyone in Lawrence who will vote for Ron Paul was at the Lied last night.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

Probably more like everyone in NE Kansas and NW Missouri.

Greg Cooper 2 years, 6 months ago

Liberty_One, let me ask you a few very basic questions, the answers to which would help me understand your view of how things could work.

1) If company K wanted to sell a product, say a food product, and they found they could produce it less expensively by adding a known carcinogen, what would the Libertarian response be, if any?

2) If the need for a highway arose, for whatever reason, that would benefit a group of self-sustaining citizens, but that highway had to run through property owned by another set of self-sustaining citizens, what would be the result?

3) If the Internal Revenus Service suddenly winked out of existence, in what way would the government be in business to "protect the property rights" of the citizens?

KevinBacon 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm not Liberty_One but I'll give it a shot.

1. There would be no "Libertarian response" but rather a response by the general population of consumers. No one would buy a food product containing a dangerous carcinogen and the company would have to adjust their recipe or go out of business. Of course someone would need to alert people of the dangerous food, and that provides a (desperately needed) opportunity to escape unemployment.w

If people were unaware of the carcinogenic ingredients, that's the fault of the manufacturer and the matter would likely be taken to court (this is where the government comes into play) in the form of a class action lawsuit.

1. Citizen group #1 would need to buy the property from group #2 or come up with an alternative solution (such as rerouting the highway). Should they try to forcefully take the land, the courts would step in to enforce property rights.

2. The IRS is only necessary due to the complexity of the tax code. Ron Paul (and non-anarchist libertarians) don't advocate ending taxes entirely, since government IS NECESSARY to enforce rights and provide national defense, but rather abolishing the maze of loopholes and exceptions that is the IRS. Note that the complexity of the tax code is what allows corporations and wealthy individuals to get away with paying virtually nothing in taxes. The answer isn't to raise taxes on anybody, but to determine their fair share (I'm a big fan of a flat tax) and here's the important part-- MAKE SURE THEY ACTUALLY PAY IT.

Raising taxes on the wealthy is the one solution to our national spending and debt that I commonly hear. Regardless of whether or not you think this is fair, it's also important to look at whether it's effective. I know this is counter-intuitive but Britain recently imposed a dramatic increase in taxes on the wealthy, hoping to bring up revenue by hundreds of millions, but they actually ended up LOSING $800 million in revenue from the year before, due to the wealthy modifying their spending/saving/investing habits. Something to keep in mind...

I'm glad to answer questions about libertarian ideas. I know some of it seems counter-intuitive and risky, since the government is supposed to be there to protect us, but I think it's extremely important to look critically at what the government has accomplished AND what it's cost us. Undeniably over our history we've done some great things through government, but the sad fact is our spending habits are not sustainable over time, and we're starting to see the consequences of that. Ron Paul is the ONLY anti-war candidate, the only candidate who would oppose the NDAA and the Patriot Act, the only candidate willing to even TALK about ending the war on drugs... I know he has some "different" ideas, but that people say he's the crazy one just blows my mind.

Greg Cooper 2 years, 6 months ago

Thank you both. Your explanations are very specific, and I appreciate them very much. Making voting decisions based on campaign slogans is dishearteningly difficult, and your information is valuable.

That being said, I see little difference in how your party would handle things and the present system, other than the system of campaign financing that buys votes for the monied. We already have courts, we already have systems in place for determining the fitness of products for human use, we already have an agency for the collection of taxes.

It sounds to me as if what is needed is not a change in governmental systems, but a change in the governors making them not so beholden to their contributors. This could, it seems to me, be accomplished by enacting term limits, public financing of elections, and a tax code simplified to th point that the tax code favors no single entity of=ver another,

What are the errors of my observations?

Greg Cooper 2 years, 6 months ago

It sounds to me as if what is needed is not a change in governmental systems, but a change in the governors making them not so beholden to their contributors. This could, it seems to me, be accomplished by enacting term limits, public financing of elections, and a tax code simplified to th point that the tax code favors no single entity over another,

What are the errors of my observations?

tomatogrower 2 years, 6 months ago

1. Yet, in a Libertarian society there would be no requirement to list ingredients in a product. Yes, maybe the public wouldn't buy something without labels, but they used to buy everything without labels, until the government required it. There are still people who don't read the labels. Of course, in the libertarian mind, these people would just die of cancer, so it would eliminate stupid people.

2. All roads would have to become owned by a group of people who wouldn't be that generous for the upkeep, thus limiting travel. Toll roads would be the norm, and people without the means to pay would be stuck in one place, not unlike during feudal times.

3. Please list the source of the other revenues for the federal government.

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

Mkh 2 years, 6 months ago

There was over 2,000 people there last night, not 1,000. The auditorium was filled over capacity with some people having to watch the speech on the tv screens in lobby. The capacity of the Lied Center is 2,020 according to a Google search that took me 10 seconds.. Very lazy reporting by the LJW.

Boston_Corbett 2 years, 6 months ago

I bet they had to wipe off LibertyOne and Liberty275's seats after they went back to study hall.

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

funny how "libertarians" are the first ones to hit the "suggest removal" button when they read something unflattering about Ron Paul.

Mike Ford 2 years, 6 months ago

I love how Mike Parks of the Shannon and Parks show just loves Ron Paul.... as does the rest of the GOP......I'm betting on snow in the Egyptian desert before his GOP nomination happens.....well.....with global warming it probably will happen.... I also love all of the David Dukes and other tolerent crazies in Ron Paul's past. Al least he's not as crazy as his kid in Kentucky. Ron Paul is basically a Republican who knows what to say always drawn in the kids.....we were all kids once....right....

voevoda 2 years, 6 months ago

I see that the "Libertarian" posters are channeling their inner Karl Marx today, preaching the withering away of the state and a utopian future if only people would embrace the proper economic ideology.

Godot 2 years, 6 months ago

My guess is Paul would say that, constitutionally, the federal government has no authority to interfere with a local zoning issue, but, philosophically, one should be at liberty to use one's property as one wishes, as long as no one else is hurt by the action.

Godot 2 years, 6 months ago

One of my favorite lines last night went something like this: "I wonder how many in Congress would have voted for the Patriot Act if it had been called The Repeal of the 4th Amendment? Because that is what it is."

Paul revealed an aspect of the assassination of Anwar Al Awlaki I had not known before. I had read that Awlaki was killed by a drone strike on the car he was riding in, and that a friend, who was also a US citizen, happened to be in the car with him, so one US citizen was targeted, but two were killed. I guess that would be called collateral damage, or, perhaps, bagging two birds with one stone.

Paul says there was a third citizen taken out in that operation. He said that Awlaki's 16 year old son, also a US citizen, was targeted and killed in a second strike, when the son was outside "barbecuing with a friend." I didn't catch whether the friend was also killed.

Awlaki may have been a bad guy, as he was accused of various crimes, but he was never charged, much less tried and convicted, and now we will never know if he was guilty because he has already been executed. The 16 year old apparently committed the heinous crime of being the son of someone this administration deemed to be a threat. No trial, no charges, just sudden death. This action was taken under cover of the Repeal of the Fourth Amendment,,,,er,,,,,The Patriot Act.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

I'd have to look it up, but I think that it was when the younger Awlaki was killed that a second US citizen was also killed.

Regardless, drone strikes of all kinds, whether they target US citizens or not, are completely out of control. Sadly, with the exception of Paul, none of the current candidates would stop them if elected.

Enlightenment 2 years, 6 months ago

Curious as to why there were so many people at the Lied Center to listen to Ron Paul, but he received so few votes in the caucus.

Godot 2 years, 6 months ago

Judging from the cheers that went up when he called out to the independents and politically disenfranchised, my guess is there weren't all that many registered Republicans in the crowd.

Don Whiteley 2 years, 6 months ago

I can't believe there are that many Kansas Republicans eager to nominate Santorum and ensure an Obama landslide victory. Proves that Republicans on the far right are just as stupid as Democrats on the far left have been.