Archive for Saturday, March 10, 2012

Armed robbery suspect still at large

March 10, 2012

Lawrence police are searching for a suspect in an armed robbery that took place Saturday on Iowa Street.

Sgt. Troy Squire said that a man entered Pro-Cuts, 2500 Iowa St., about 6 p.m., armed with a handgun, and demanded money. The staff gave him an unknown amount and he fled on foot; he was last seen headed east on 25th Street. Officers searched the area to no avail and detectives are now handling the case.

Witnesses described the man as wearing jeans and blue sweatshirt with a green scarf or ski mask covering his face. Anyone with information regarding the suspect is asked to call the detective bureau at 830-7430 or the anonymous tips hotline at 843-8477.

Comments

RKLOG 2 years, 9 months ago

Aww the guys at Pro cuts are so sweet, this sucks. I was just there last week. I hope that they catch him.

audvisartist 2 years, 9 months ago

You probably just need to go behind the building and scour Redbud Lane for the perp.

KSWingman 2 years, 9 months ago

The second paragraph told us: An unknown man with an unknown handgun took an unknown amount of money and fled to an unknown location.

That is a lot of unknowing! Good thing the detectives are on the case

Beth Ennis 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm not sure if this is a "hit" to the police or not, but they can only go off of what witnesses tell them. If the guy didn't leave any evidence behind, they will probably never catch him unless someone turns him in. Even then, if no evidence......

Paul Wilson 2 years, 9 months ago

Ya know....if they would have posted one of those cute 'No Gun' signs on the door, the criminal would've just changed his mind and gone home.

GUMnNUTS 2 years, 9 months ago

If only those stylists were packing heat they could have stopped him. Derringers for all hair dressers now.

Paul Wilson 2 years, 9 months ago

Easy for you to say knowing nobody was hurt. I'm curious if you would have the same sarcastic opinion if one or more of those employees were shot dead..??

GUMnNUTS 2 years, 9 months ago

Do you to think that a person with a conceal carry permit would have the training required to pull out a weapon and stop a robbery in progress, without making the situation worse?

jafs 2 years, 9 months ago

If there is training required to get the permit, and a test that must be passed, it's a possibility.

Without those requirements, it's less likely, I'd say.

GUMnNUTS 2 years, 9 months ago

It's a 8 hour safety class with a simple shooting test at the end.

Paul Wilson 2 years, 9 months ago

I've taken the course and have a permit. I believe they are enough. The points are that who are you to keep them from defending their own lives and that the stupid little signs only stop law abiding citizens. If you have proof that the requirements are not enough for certain situations then we should reconsider them. If you don't have that...then it is just a hollow opinion no more valid than any other. I just think many opinions would rapidly change if one or more employees were killed. The same way that righties should stop legislating their selective morality....lefties should be tolerant of a honest citizen's right to defend their lives, their families, and their livelihood.

GUMnNUTS 2 years, 9 months ago

So you think you can pull a concealed firearm and take down a criminal that already has his pulled? It only happens on the movies. Targets don't fire back.

GUMnNUTS 2 years, 9 months ago

And, I am not against the right for someone to conceal carry. I just don't want someone who took a 8 hour safety class and shot some holes in center mass on a target to think they are rambo.

Paul Wilson 2 years, 9 months ago

What is enough training in your opinion? What would your requirements be?

GUMnNUTS 2 years, 9 months ago

Just double the amount of instruction time spread out over two weekends and increase the range distance by five yards. I'm all for people being able to carry but it should take more than a long Saturday.

eotw33 2 years, 9 months ago

How about metal detectors at the exits of redbud lane

Jim Phillips 2 years, 9 months ago

Why do you assume the only time concealed carry holders fire their guns is for the 25 round qualification? Many of my students are excellent marksmen and can easily keep 25 rounds in tight grouping. Now let me dot the i and cross the t for you. That means they practice regularly.

I have taught concealed carry to retired law enforcement, military, and security officers,. as well as not so experienced shooters. I also teach them that drawing on an already presented weapon is a last ditch effort only because that's probably all you have left.

Maybe you should attend a concealed carry course to find out what is taught before you belittle it.

GUMnNUTS 2 years, 9 months ago

I have and that is why I belittle it. My step dad was a state trooper and then taught at the state academy in Hutchison. I have been shooting since I was eight.

BlackVelvet 2 years, 9 months ago

Then perhaps you should become a concealed carry instructor and do it much better than what is being done now?

GUMnNUTS 2 years, 9 months ago

Never said I could teach it, just thought it was way to easy. And I have a job that pays me 'slightly' better than that.

GUMnNUTS 2 years, 9 months ago

This coming from someone who admits to buying and smoking marijuana.