Archive for Friday, March 9, 2012

House supports concealed carry in public buildings, but allows universities to opt out

March 9, 2012

— The Kansas House on Friday advanced legislation that would allow concealed carry license holders to bring their guns into public buildings, but amendments were approved that would give state universities, hospitals and nursing homes the ability to ban the weapons.

State Rep. Valdenia Winn, D-Kansas City, Kan., said she didn't want to stand before a college classroom in which some of her students, who may be upset with a grade or assignment, could be armed.

"I want to teach history. I don't want to be history," Winn said.

The amendment allowing colleges to opt out seemed in trouble until enough legislators requested a roll call vote. Then it passed 93-23.

Under House Bill 2353, people who have a concealed carry permit would be allowed to bring a gun into a state or city facility unless the building had adequate security measures, such as electronic screening equipment and guards, to ensure that no weapons could be brought in. Because of the additional security costs this would entail, many public buildings will have to allow concealed carry if the measure is enacted into law.

State Rep. Forrest Knox, R-Altoona, said the current ban on guns in public buildings, marked by a sign, was an invitation to criminals. "Criminals pay attention because they know there won't be any law-abiding citizens carrying guns in those buildings that are posted," Knox said.

But representatives of colleges, cities, hospitals, counties and other groups lobbied hard against the bill. Andy Tompkins, president and chief executive officer of the Kansas Board of Regents, said allowing weapons on campuses would increase the risk of violence and complicate the job of police.

Knox brought the amendment concerning post-secondary schools, although he opposed it.

"Statistically, if there is concealed carry allowed on campus, crimes goes down," he said. But Winn said there was no study that showed a link between concealed carry and lower crime rates.

Under the amendment, the governing body of a post-secondary institution can decide if it wants to be exempt from the proposed law. The exemption would last four years and then have to be reconsidered.

Another amendment exempted hospitals, such as Kansas University Hospital. Several legislators said hospitals are high-stress environments where allowing concealed weapons would distract from quality patient care.

State Rep. Ann Mah, D-Topeka, said that while she supported concealed carry, she opposed the state telling local governments what to do.

Mah offered an amendment to require the state pay local governments if they decided to put in the extra security needed to keep concealed carry weapons out of their buildings. "If we think we need to be a nanny Legislature, then we need to get our checkbooks out and pay for it," she said. But her proposal was defeated.

The House advanced the legislation on a voice vote. A final vote on the issue is expected Monday. If approved, it will go to the Senate for consideration.

Comments

Flap Doodle 2 years, 4 months ago

Valdenia, there are people who have not gone through the procedure to obtain a concealed carry permit who walk around every day with firearms. Banning permit holders from entering a building doesn't protect you from the criminals who are carrying illegally.

RomelioBobalinski 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree, we who have the Good Guy Card are not the criminals, it's those cowards who use the places where guns are banned who we need to stop. Maybe this will give them pause because one of us just might be around.

Those cowards use our schools and other places to do their evil. I agree with making them think twice and maybe re-think what they were about to do.

Phillbert 2 years, 4 months ago

In Kansas in 2010 alone, 39 "Good Guy Card" holders got those cards revoked because they committed a crime, including 7 who committed aggravated assault with a firearm. And Rep. Knox himself said that 8 law enforcement officers have been killed by concealed weapons permit holders.

I know it's hard to believe, but crimes can be committed by permit holders, too.

Phillbert 2 years, 4 months ago

Source: http://www.kansas.com/2012/02/13/2214039/house-bill-would-allow-students.html

"In 2010, the state suspended 39 concealed-carry licenses for criminal offenses, including seven for aggravated assault with a firearm, and five for carrying a firearm under the influence of alcohol."

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm going to go ahead and call BS on your 8 law enforcement officers have been killed by concealed weapon permit holders. I dont think that even 8 lawenforcement law officers even die in a years time in this state.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 4 months ago

It sounds like the numbers are wrong, but let me say this. No one has every said that those with concealed carry licenses never commit a crime. However, the incidence of a CC committing a crime, let alone with a firearm, is extremely low.

Patricia Davis 2 years, 4 months ago

And add the Supremes to this list.

Boston_Corbett 2 years, 4 months ago

It has happened before. Boston Corbett can report that firing a few rounds into the legislative chambers will make even the House Republicans read those pesky Democrat tax bill amendments, not that he wants Snap or anyone else to be concealed carrying there. Full display, on the hip, is best.

"In 1887 Corbett was given the position of assistant doorkeeper for the Kansas House of Representatives in Topeka. He was proud of his position and took it seriously, wearing his army holster and pistol on the job. During a session of the legislature, Corbett overheard a comment he considered blasphemous. Outraged, he brandished his pistol, clearing the room."

geekin_topekan 2 years, 4 months ago

The dopes on campus aren't smart enough to avoid walking in front of a moving 40K lbs. bus and we think that they have sense to carry loaded weapons?

The kansas com article wuotes someone as saying "police wont be able to tell the good from the bad guys" Great point! I was at the garage and the mechanic put my car up on the rack. When he walked under it he ran his head into the undercarriage and he yelled an expletive with "you" as the subject, as in "you *!!!" His son grabbed a tire iron and started toward ME as if I were the one to strike his dad. Was it my dark skin that made him assume that I had attacked his dad? Was it tha fact that we were both standing under the rack? Who knows. My point, the son's only conclusion was that I had struck his dad, he had no idea that he had conked his own noggin. Imagine a black man helping an injured white girl. God help him if a CC carrying, bus-walking-in-front-of would be Swatsanegger shows up.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 4 months ago

Sorry, this argument has no relation to concealed carry.

JJE007 2 years, 4 months ago

Did Winn say she'd "rather teach hysterical than be hysterical"?-]

Shelley Bock 2 years, 4 months ago

Was it a Mae West quote that said...."is that a gun in your pants or are just happy to see me?"

4getabouit 2 years, 4 months ago

Jobs, jobs, jobs. Forging ahead with jobs.

2002 2 years, 4 months ago

While I support gun rights, this is just stupid. No way you should be able to carry in public buildings. I just don't think that you need to protect yourself everywhere. If your home or car, I can see it. But at City Hall picking up a building permit? Just stupid.

I'm a conservative, but the farther this kind of stupid goes, the more I start to wonder whether the righties are moving away from me.

If you don't legalize guns in public buildings then only criminals will have guns in public buildings? Does Rep. Knox think that people are stupid, or is it just that he is stupid.

gsxr600 2 years, 4 months ago

" she didn't want to stand before a college classroom in which some of her students, who may be upset with a grade or assignment, could be armed."

Are you ****ing kidding me? Talk about an ignorant moron. I'd bet she's never even met a CC'er.

voevoda 2 years, 4 months ago

Just about every classroom instructor has experienced students who get mad about a grade and act out--throwing things, shouting obcenities, making threatening comments. Ms. Winn is right to be worried about students using firearms to threaten and harm. Unless there is a deep psychological testing of applicants for concealed carry of firearms--not included in current laws--it is likely to result in exactly the kind of incident Winn fears. And yes, I indeed do know people who have concealed carry permits. Some are responsible and even-tempered. Others are not. Good for you, Ms. Winn!

DillonBarnes 2 years, 4 months ago

So what is keeping those kids who are acting out against the teacher from bringing in a firearm anyway?

DillonBarnes 2 years, 4 months ago

Agreed, I found it a pretty offensive comment actually. For some reason, because I choose to carry, I'm automatically a danger to her life!? It is an ignorant comment of someone who I agree, has never met a CC'er.

Bill Lee 2 years, 4 months ago

People who are so afraid of the world around them that they need to carry a gun need to just stay home. I refuse to live in fear, but what worries me most is the number of guns in our society, both legal and illegal.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 4 months ago

the GOP wants to return to the glory days of the wild west. The problem is that Wyatt Earp made cowboys check in their guns when they they entered Wichita or dodge city. Letting people carry concealed weapons is a disaster waiting to happen. If people truly believe they need to carry a gun for personal protection, I say let them wear a western style holster and gun belt so other people will know they have a gun. Plus, how many of us have been in situations wear a gun might have helped us out? Not too many I suspect. I personnaly have never been the victim of a violent crime. For those of us who have been in those situations, the criminal is more likely to wrestle the gun away from you and then use it on you because law abiding citizens don't shoot first, they always hesitate. Criminals typically have nothing to lose and have that bad kind of resolve in those situations. Laws like this will make the state less safe.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 4 months ago

I was at QT a few weeks ago. My girlfriend and I got out of the car and suddenly hear shouting and yelling from the pumps. Someone, for some reason, was trying to start a fight with the driver of the vehicle. The driver of the vehicle sat quietly and avoided any confrontation, and judging by how he was acting, I believe the two had never met. The man eventually ran across the street and was standing on the corner yelling things, IMO, he was under the influence of something and was out causing trouble. I was CC'ing at the time, I did not feel any reason to bring myself into the confrontation, for a variety of a reason, but it got me thinking. I kept an eye on him, and made sure the police had been called, but had no compulsion to become a vigilante.

What if that man had run up to me on the sidewalk instead of the man in the vehicle? I had not provoked him, I had no relation to him, but it could have easily been me and my girlfriend then. What would you have done? Fought a drugged up guy? Ran away (leave the girlfriend in the dust)?

It was a situation where I avoided confrontation, but was glad that I was CC'ing. My story is actually pretty bland, but there are thousands of other stories where CC'ing has saved someone from harm. Many times without even firing a shot. Also, I don't understand you're statement that the citizens always hesitate, or any evidence of that at all.

By the way, I have no connection to the GOP.

Tbone 2 years, 4 months ago

Oh, you've never been a victim of a violent crime? Then I guess it doesn't exist.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 4 months ago

Conceal carry does not promote a culture of life as described by Brownback.

Joe Hyde 2 years, 4 months ago

Are Kansas House members okay with people walking in off the street packing concealed weapons and taking seats in the gallery at the Kansas statehouse? I'm not talking about "check your weapons at the door"; no, what I'm talking about is letting permit holders walk right through security and into the statehouse with serious firepower and then sit up there looking down at legislators and the governor from the gallery seats.

They okay with that? Because hey, the Kansas statehouse is a public building, right? If they're not okay with allowing concealed carry at their own public workplace then they're just talking the talk, they're not walking the walk.

geekin_topekan 2 years, 4 months ago

SOme professors have zero tolerance for cell phones, facebooking in class etc.--will an individual instructor have the ability to enact a zero tolerance for weapons in his/her classroom?

Yeahyeah, phones and facebook are privileges and guns are a right, so is procreation but that is not allowed in the classroom either.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm still having trouble seeing how your posts relate to concealed carry.

How is an instructor keeping weapons out of the classroom now?