Archive for Friday, March 9, 2012

Baldwin City man, 70, arrested for illegally shooting decoy deer in December

March 9, 2012, 12:43 a.m. Updated March 9, 2012, 12:18 p.m.

A 70-year-old Baldwin City man has been charged with four misdemeanor counts after he was accused of illegally shooting a decoy deer during a December 2011 sting operation.

The sting was conducted by the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism on Dec. 9, the last Friday of the firearm deer hunting season. KDWPT officials had placed the decoy on private land in Douglas County, according to Andy Terhune, Douglas County game warden. The officers used a life-size, taxidermied deer to entice would-be poachers.

“It looks exactly like a white-tailed buck,” Terhune said.

After spotting the decoy from the road, Terhune said the suspect stopped his vehicle and shot it from inside his car. Officers then approached him and took his information. The man, Darrell R. Norris, was not arrested at the scene, Terhune said. Norris pleaded not guilty during his first appearance Thursday afternoon, and he later was booked into jail and released on $500 bond. Prosecutors have filed four misdemeanor charges, including criminal hunting alleging he did not have permission to hunt on the land.

A hearing is scheduled for April 9.

Comments

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 9 months ago

They conduct "sting operations" using decoy deer? Seems like a waste of man power/time/money. Perhaps 70 year old deer poachers are a bigger threat than I know

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 9 months ago

It might not mean much to you, but to the guy that could have possibly been with in 100 yards or so, hunting what might have been a real deer it means alot. Some one could have been hurt of even killed because of this mans stupidity. It was just a couple years ago a boy down by Emporia was killed while hunting geese when a poacher shot from the road into his decoy set with a rifle. So yes, any poacher is a threat. Not only are they dangerous, they are stealing from the state including the tax payers. Before people like you, people that have never set foot on a deer trail or sat down to a gobbling turkey chime in about wildlife management, I sudgest spending some time in the outdoors before passing judgement.

Steve Miller 2 years, 9 months ago

You must be talking about the game warden .. LOL !!

LadyJ 2 years, 9 months ago

Maybe he was hungry and social security doesn't stretch far.

newmedia 2 years, 9 months ago

Senior who just wants to eat. Better than dog food....

domino 2 years, 9 months ago

Currently, a KS hunting license is not needed by persons 65 and over - he would have needed a deer permit, though. Doe tags are not that expensive and a doe would be better eating anyway. Normally, these decoy's are made to look like borderline 'trophy bucks' so if they are wanting a deer for good meat, this wouldn't have been the one to shoot. Don't buy this ~ sorry!

50YearResident 2 years, 9 months ago

You are not a deer hunter, are you? To buy a doe license you first must buy a "any Whitetail Deer license" for about $35, (you can take a doe with this license) then you can purchase a "anterless only" license for around $15.

LadyJ 2 years, 9 months ago

Guess I should have posted "sarcasm intended", thought it was evident.

tomatogrower 2 years, 9 months ago

Up by KC there was a report of 2 horses being shot and killed. Years ago I lived in the country, and always had people trying to hunt without permission from me, and shooting from the road. Sometimes shooting cows and pets. When the deer were too thick, I usually gave permission, but some jerks just didn't care. They are the ones who give gun owners and hunters a bad name, so those of you who are NRA members and favor property rights should be thrilled by this bust.

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 9 months ago

Catfish, you said it right,I have been out hunting and seen cars stop along a road and then you hear a gun shot, and you know exactly what is going on, hit the deck or get behind a big tree tell they leave. Kansas is known for it's big deer and the selling of "heads" is big business in the poacher world. Yes I have froze my tail off in deer woods since they opened the first modern day deer season back in the 1960?, still enjoy doing it today, but can't stay out in the cold like I used to do.Good job Mr Game Protector.

somedude20 2 years, 9 months ago

Kill it and grill it! No need to worry about "pink slime" in dat meat

beatrice 2 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps I should think twice before putting the reindeer decorations out in the yard next Christmas.

chong 2 years, 9 months ago

Andy Terhune, the warden, said often times the property owners are the ones who ask him to prevent hunting on their land.

Chris Hong LJ World

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

I once heard a ridiculous story. I am not claiming that it is true, the only claim that I am making is that I was told it was.

Some hunter was on his way back to Chicago or wherever after his first hunting trip with his "trophy" tied onto his car. He was pulled over by the highway patrol or the sheriff, and asked what he thought he was doing. The hunter got all full of himself, and explained his importance to the local yokel highway patrolman or sheriff, who surely didn't understand that he was a very important individual, and he pretty much could do whatever he wanted because he was almost above the law.

Without batting an eye, the local law enforcement official informed him of a fact.

"I just pulled you over to tell you that you've got a cow tied to the top of your car."

KayCee 2 years, 9 months ago

I remember that one, it was a cartoon.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

I have a few words to say to D.K.! He told me it was true!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

But, I'm gullible, and he took advantage of that.

50YearResident 2 years, 9 months ago

A cow would weigh over 1000 lbs, it would take 10 strong people to hoist it on top af a car! Then the roof would start caving in.

riverdrifter 2 years, 9 months ago

The decoy that is used is a full body mount -a taxidermied deer. It's got a fairly big rack on it and the officer can make the head move with a remote control device. It's generally located a hundred yards or more from the road. Very effective and this guy fell for it. I know of at least two landowners who have requested it be put on their properties due to chronic poaching.

akt2 2 years, 9 months ago

I was at a gas station in Pennsylvania once and a vehicle pulled in with a bear tied to it. Way to freak a Kansas girl out.

somedude20 2 years, 9 months ago

Hey, I have stopped my car and gotten out when I spot a big rack in the past.

Bob Forer 2 years, 9 months ago

Apparently this case is not a priority for DA Charles Bronson as it took him approximately three months to file charges.

While I am in favor of effective law enforcement, I question the cost/benefit analysis of these type of sting operations. When you include salary, payroll tax, KPERS, uniforms, support staff, vehicles and vehicle maintenance, my guess is that a Wildlife officer costs the state around 60K a year, which is roughly two hundred dollars a day per officer. Let's say there were three officers working this sting for three days. That comes out of $1,800 plus the use of the decoy. The guy probably will not be fined more than $500.00.

Doesn't translate financially in these tight economic times, especially when you consider the fact that the State created the opportunity for the guy to commit the crime. Absent the set up, the guy would probably have not committed a crime. So its not like the money was spent to prevent a crime that would have occurred without intervention.

On the other hand, I am not a rural landowner, and it sounds like they are sick and tired of deer poaching on their land.

Just saying ...............

Enlightenment 2 years, 9 months ago

To do a cost/benefit analysis, you first need to put a price on safety and game management. You may not believe that it is cost effective to set up a decoy and have a wildlife officer monitor it, but I disagree. It is far more productive in capturing individuals illegally firing weapons from a roadway and poaching. It is not uncommon for an officer to nab several offenders in a matter of hours. Plus, the officers are not wasting gas patrolling a huge area.

littlexav 2 years, 9 months ago

Where do you get your numbers? KDWPT area managers only make $40k, I'm making an educated guess the officers make more like $28k-$32k depending on COL adjustments. KPERS is literally not funded, so don't count that. Group insurance is something like $7/person/period, so again not much. You can look up the department's budget and divide by total personnel, but with the Tourism Division being transferred from Commerce, that doesn't give you an accurate estimate. The article states the sting only lasted one day, and I doubt there were three officers involved.

Bob Forer 2 years, 9 months ago

A lot depends on seniority, but I am sure the officers with several years under their belt make 35 to 40 grand. And you are wrong, the KPERS costs the state more than the employee contriubtion of 4 %.

You are way off on insurance. The state pays once per month. I'd love some of that $7.00 a month health insurance you refer to. Try more like several hundred a month. Then there is the matching federal payroll tax. Each officer has a state vehicle and with depreciation, gas, and maintenance, it probably costs the State at least three hundred per month per officer. Then there is support staff and administrative fees.

In the private sector, for example, a $20 per hour employee costs the employer more than $30 per hour in actual costs, and most employees in the private sector don't require a vehicle. So add at least 50% to a 40K job and you end up with 60K in employer costs. That's 5G a month. With 22 working days in a month, that's around $225 per day.

I remember the City of Lawrence recently requesting an increase in police officers. Even though the starting salary for a new officer is around 40K per year, each new officer was budgeted at almost 90K.

Apparently, you have never run a business or you would realize that the cost or hiring an employee is a lot more than their hourly wage.

Randall Barnes 2 years, 9 months ago

so you would rather the fish and game officials earn their salary doing what ? they get paid the same no matter what they are doing.

patkindle 2 years, 9 months ago

senior citizen entrapment i guess this is a slow time of the year for creel checking

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 9 months ago

There are some clueless morons posting here. Patroling and enforcing wildlife related laws and regulations is what these guys are paid to do. If it was up to me, there would be more of them than there are. Its the excise taxes on fire arms sales, archery equipment, ammo, hunting gear, hunting and fishing licences, and park fees that compromise the bulk of what little these guys and the KDWP get paid. I would gladly pay extra to have more game wardens mopping up after morons who think its ok to shoot from the road and poach wild animals. I love to hunt and I am glad that the KDWP is looking after my saftey and the saftey of hunters everywhere while in the field.

For those of you who think these kinds of operations are not important, go tell that to the parrents of this young man

REALLY2217 2 years, 9 months ago

What the article forgets to mention is the man was only 1/8 of a mile from his own property.

thebigspoon 2 years, 9 months ago

He could lose his truck and his weapon as well. That would be more than a $500.00 fine.

thebigspoon 2 years, 9 months ago

Don't think this is a county issue but a state one ? Game Wardens are state law enforcement officials and not county. Knew of a guy in Western Kansas that got caught doing the same thing but at night. Lost his truck , gun and his right to ever get another hunting license. Plus quite a bit in fines. First offense for him. I guess we will see how this plays out for Mr. Norris???

blindrabbit 2 years, 9 months ago

Back in the Harold Ensley, Sportman's Friend, T.V. show days, Harold reported a farmer in Mizzou had had so many instances of "road hunters" shooting his brown Hereford cattle that he painted "COW" on the side of each one.

BlackVelvet 2 years, 9 months ago

And even with the "COW" painted on their sides, some cows STILL got shot!

DillonBarnes 2 years, 9 months ago

Andy Terhune!

Moving on up in the world! Good work!

Hutton 2 years, 9 months ago

Couldn't of happened to a better person !!!