Archive for Thursday, March 8, 2012

Artifacts from the movie “The Day After” sought for Watkins Museum exhibit

March 8, 2012

The Watkins Community Museum of History is seeking props, costumes, T-shirts and other artifacts related to the local shooting of “The Day After,” a made-for-TV movie about nuclear war filmed in Lawrence in 1983.

Students in Kansas University’s museum studies program are compiling an exhibit on the film, set to open in late May. People with artifacts can donate them to the museum or loan them just for the exhibit.

Anyone interested in donating or lending can call the museum at 785-841-4109 before March 28.

Comments

Liberty275 3 years, 2 months ago

Is the church from the movie the one down by lone star lake?

scopi_guy 3 years, 2 months ago

I remember some filming being done at a church on the blacktop road just north of Globe.

A lot of kids came back to school after that summer with ABC T-shirts on. I think they were given away to those who were extras.

scopi_guy 3 years, 2 months ago

It's been several years since I last saw it, but the thing that sticks out in that movie to me is the IGA grocery store scene. I remember how they'd advertise their specials---on big white sheets of paper with the writing done in blue paint in their windows.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

In the opening scenes there was footage of bottling machinery at All Star Dairy. I might have an old milk crate around here somewhere . . .

Liberty275 3 years, 2 months ago

Those silos are close to the power plant.

Theres also one SE of overbrook. Were gonna do a day trip there and hopefully get to walk around.

Bill Lee 3 years, 2 months ago

I have a photo of me and two of my step-children in make up and costume on the set. Cameras weren't allowed, but a friend was taking photos for ABC. He took one of us next to an overturned truck. I don't have a print, but can email it to the museum.

sourpuss 3 years, 2 months ago

I was in the movie as an extra, but we didn't wear anything special. Just some clothes that were made dirty with fake movie dirt. We were just "survivors" in the Field House. I remember seeing John Lithgow walk by and being insanely frightened of accidentally looking into the camera. Some KU students gave me a stuffed tiger which I still have. It is a bit moth-eaten now. I suppose it was in the movie too, but I don't think it could be seen.

Charles L Bloss Jr 3 years, 2 months ago

I have the movie on dvd. Do you have that for your exhibit?