Archive for Monday, March 5, 2012

Man reports he was robbed of about $1,500 in cash early Monday

March 5, 2012

Lawrence police are investigating a robbery reported early Monday after a man alleged an acquaintance and others took money from him at knife point at Days Inn, 730 Iowa.

Police were called about 1:45 a.m. Monday. Kim Murphree, a police spokeswoman, said the victim told officers the suspect and a few other people robbed him of about $1,500 in cash after they had been socializing at the hotel.

The victim also alleged the suspects battered him. He suffered some abrasions but declined medical treatment.

Murphree said the incident is still under investigation.

Comments

50YearResident 3 years, 1 month ago

Why does this sound like a drug deal gone bad to me?????????

classclown 3 years, 1 month ago

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Bob Forer 3 years, 1 month ago

Working as a traveling Bible Salesman is a dangerous occupation. With all those cash sales you never know when a secular humanist is going to knock you over the head, take all of your sales receipts, and trash your inventory of bibles.

I'll say a prayer for the nice young man.

deec 3 years, 1 month ago

"Makin' money in the Lord's service." "Bible sales. The trade is not a complicated one...It's all about the money, boys."

Bob Forer 3 years, 1 month ago

The trade is not a complicated one; There're but two things to learn: one bein' where to find a wholesaler- the word of God in bulk, as it were. Two bein' how to rekanize your customer. Who're you dealing with? An exercise in psychology, so to speak. And it is that which I propose to give you a lesson in right now."

-Big Dan Teague

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

Gossips don't need information, it would get in their way. I hope the assailants are caught the gentleman get his money back.

Bob Forer 3 years, 1 month ago

The law recognizes that evidence of character and reputation in the community is usually admissible as evidence if material to the issues involved. My evidence professor characterized such evidence as "collective gossip." Just because it's "gossip" it doesn't mean it isn't reliable. Unless, of course, you believe that the law is an ass.

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

Typical gossip remark. Adding and ascribing nonsense and lies. I don't believe the law is an ass, but gossips usually are.

guppypunkhead 3 years, 1 month ago

Probably not a good plan to go to a motel party at 2 a.m. and let the scumbags know you have $1500 in your pocket. Only two ways they would know- you tell them because you are stupid, or you tell them because you are trying to buy something from them. For future reference, nothing good has ever come of a motel party.

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

You are claiming the victim told the robbers how much was in his pocket. I saw nothing in the article the robbers knew how much they were going to get. Are you friends of the robbers?

classclown 3 years, 1 month ago

Maybe it was too cold at Brokeback park, and after the 'socializing', the guy got rolled.

tbaker 3 years, 1 month ago

For future reference, concealed carry gives stories like this one a happy ending.

I wonder how much of this $1500 was going to be reported as taxable income? Hummm...

Alceste 3 years, 1 month ago

Right. Nothing so humiliating as being pistol whipped and/or shot with your own handgun!

Alceste 3 years, 1 month ago

Let me get this right, vertigo and Did_I_say_that:

Your in a motel room with how many guys? 2...3....4 other people (the article don't say) and you get bum rushed. When do you pull the piece? Or, do you have the piece in your hand when all the "partayyyying" is going on? I'm saying that in a close quarters situation, you best have that thing in your hand, one in the chamber, finger on the trigger, safety off, and ready to rock and roll.

Bluntly, I don't think most people have it in them. A cc permit is a piece of paper. Who ever needed a piece of paper to carry? I'm fully in support of the cc permit stuff and walking around strapped and ready. The difference is that when I'm in a motel room with a bunch of rummies.....well....I'm never in that kind of a stupid situation.

Tell me, you two....when is a strapped cc permit carrying pistol toting SOB gonna pull the thing out and use it when he's already been hog tied and robbed; his gun, now found and taken from him? I don't get your stupid a** logic. Close quarters combat....and that's what a motel room is.....is all about having that thing in your hand and firing.

Again, people like to think they're "all that" because they got them a permit. Most don't get it's having the moxy to pull the trigger and I'm gonna assert the vast majority are gonna freeze like deer in headlights. shrug

Alceste 3 years, 1 month ago

"Packing heat may backfire. People who carry guns are far likelier to get shot – and killed – than those who are unarmed, a study of shooting victims in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, has found."

"...study found that people who carried guns were 4.5 times as likely to be shot and 4.2 times as likely to get killed compared with unarmed citizens. When the team looked at shootings in which victims had a chance to defend themselves, their odds of getting shot were even higher."

"While it may be that the type of people who carry firearms are simply more likely to get shot, it may be that guns give a sense of empowerment that causes carriers to overreact in tense situations, or encourages them to visit neighbourhoods they probably shouldn't, Branas speculates. Supporters of the Second Amendment shouldn't worry that the right to bear arms is under threat, however. "We don't have an answer as to whether guns are protective or perilous," Branas says. "This study is a beginning."

Of course none of that applies to Did_I_say_that....he's SHAFT and works for "Fifty bucks an hour...."!!!

Shane Garrett 3 years, 1 month ago

Maybe he thought they had a recipe for rice pudding.

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

The robbers were probably tea party gorillas, the victim a working person, they just saw the money as a tax cut for them.