Archive for Friday, March 2, 2012

Sticker Shock program aimed at liquor buyers

Initiative tries to curb buying booze for minors

March 2, 2012

Many packages of beer, wine coolers and other alcoholic drinks purchased in Lawrence this weekend will come with an extra warning label.

Participating stores

Stores participating this year include Alvin’s Wines & Spirits, at both 4000 W. Sixth St. and 905 Iowa; Checkers Foods, 2300 La.; Cork and Barrel, 2000 W. 23rd St. and 901 Miss.; Glass House Liquor, 2301 Wakarusa Drive; Harper Corner Liquor, 2200 Harper St.; all six Kwik Shop stores; Mass Beverage, 3131 Nieder Road; Mom and Pop’s Liquor, 1906 Mass.; Myers Liquor North, 1805 W. Second St.; On the Rocks, 1818 Mass.; Parkway Wine and Spirits, 3514 Clinton Parkway; Sawyers, 4811 Bob Billings Parkway; and University Liquor, 3300 Bob Billings Parkway.

“Think. If you buy them booze, you can lose,” the red stickers will alert anyone 21 or older about the legal consequences of providing alcohol to minors.

“It’s a small step toward our main goal to prevent it completely,” said Tommy Kitchen, a Lawrence High senior and member of the Lawrence Youth Coalition, which will place the stickers on cases at several Lawrence-area liquor, grocery and convenience stores.

It’s the second year in a row Lawrence High and Free State High School students will participate in the Sticker Shock event. The stickers remind adults they could face fines up to $1,000 and up to one year in jail for violating social hosting laws, which includes providing a place for someone underage to drink or buying alcohol for them.

“It sends the message that breaking the law is acceptable,” Lawrence Police Chief Tarik Khatib said in a statement. “Both may lead to tragic consequences.”

Jen Jordan, a member of the Draw the Line Lawrence coalition, formerly the New Tradition Coalition, said the students and adult volunteers will place stickers on items at different stores across Lawrence on Saturday morning.

The first year was successful in Lawrence, and other communities across the state are seeking to replicate the Sticker Shock event.

“I had a lot of people who saw the stickers last year who commented on them,” said Jordan, director of prevention at DCCCA Inc. “I’d like to think that we made a difference.”

Diane Ash, Lawrence High’s Youth Coalition coordinator, said four more stores are participating this year than did in 2011.

Students contacted every business in town that serves beer or alcohol but not all wanted to participate, she said.

Jordan said according to a 2010 Communities That Care survey, 44 percent of high school seniors in Lawrence reported drinking alcohol at least once the previous month and 30 percent of those acknowledged someone older than 21 provided the alcohol.

Comments

werekoala 2 years, 10 months ago

Okay, I get that its against the law for people under 21 to drink.

That said, how many people actually waited until they were 21 to drink?

This is just one of those social-stigma issues like abstinence-until-marriage, no-pot-smoking,etc. that we're all supposed to pay lip service to, and pretend not to notice the knocked-up pastor's daughter. And no one over 21 really cares.

My kid isn't yet in high school, but I still think about it. And in my mind, is much rather have him & his buddies drink a few beers at my place, where I can take their keys and make sure they aren't driving or dying of alcohol poisoning or getting teen pregnant. God forbid, I might even instill a culture of responsible drinking in the kids, instead of our binge-through-your-twenties-and-hope-you're-one-of-the-lucky-ones default.

I guess that makes me (and my dad before me) a criminal for not just taking his word he'll be staying the night at "a friend's house". The willfully-ignorant, plausibly-deniable helicopter parents of Suburbia put me to shame...

headdoctor 2 years, 10 months ago

Nothing wrong with teaching your kid responsibility. That is your choice. Trying to teach his buddies is a different matter. Did you not notice the fine and jail time mentioned. Even a signed letter of permission from their parents wont take you off the hook if caught.

Paul Geisler 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm definitely with werekoala on this one! Teaching our children about responsible alcohol consumption in our own homes should be no different than teaching them other responsibilities that come with potential risks. My parents were 2nd generation German-Americans who didn't consider beer to be a bad thing. And when my dad was a senior in high school at the age of 16 he and his buddies were already working on farms and handling a lot of other responsibilities, including the ability to buy a 16 gallon keg to share with friends.

Based on their own upbringing my parents introduced me to beer at a very early age in very limited quantities. By the age of 14 they were buying beer for me if I stayed at home for the night, and if I wanted a friend to spend the night and share a six-pack of beer with me my parents would get their parents' permission before allowing any of that to happen.

I firmly believe that it is a much greater risk to pretend that your child won't touch any alcohol until they turn 21 just because you and the government told them so.

Franklin 2 years, 10 months ago

Can I have your name please? I just want to make sure my kids never go to your house.

GUMnNUTS 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm sure the kids are having a good laugh as they get drunk of their 30 pack of cheap beer with a warning sticker.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 10 months ago

It was legal to drink at age 18 back in my day. You're going to have to refine your question in order to get a more accurate response.

Liberty275 2 years, 10 months ago

I was sampling the house vodka at 15. I puked up tequila sunrises in the NCO club's restroom 3 months after turning 17, in my second month of basic training. I was a beer connoisseur at 18, drinking lots of Germany's finest - Biltburger Pils - out of boots. I also liked pushing down the cork of fine Mosel Reislings and drinking it from the bottle.

My answer: Yes.

hipper_than_hip 2 years, 10 months ago

I don’t condone underage drinking or the purchasing of alcohol for underage youth. I am against my tax dollars being spent on morality projects.

classclown 2 years, 10 months ago

I have never asked for nor needed anyone to buy booze for me, and I've been drinking since I was fifteen. If the little punks can't get it themselves, they don't deserve to drink.

Liberty275 2 years, 10 months ago

I'd like to offer some additional phrases. These are open source, so the state may use them without paying royalties.

If you buy this crack, you be whack. Take all this meth, you'll meet your death. Eat too many fries, you dies. Smoke a Kool? You're a fool. Quit being a frat boy and buy some Glenlivet. Smoking weed - makes you want to feed. Got Cocaine? You'll need it to get those hot hot college girls. Shrooms - natures way of telling you that you are wrong about everything. Acid on you tongue? Wish we were still young. This is not your momma's potpourri. Driving drunk? Make sure you have some KU basketball tickets handy.

JackMcKee 2 years, 10 months ago

I bet this makes no difference whatsoever.

headdoctor 2 years, 10 months ago

The first time I saw the no gun sign I rolled on the floor. Any fool knows guns can't read and the criminals that can figures that warning is for everyone else but them.

headdoctor 2 years, 10 months ago

Yup, just that warm and fuzzy feel good all under feeling from a large dose of symbolism over substance.

somedude20 2 years, 10 months ago

"It sends the message that breaking the law is acceptable,” Lawrence Police Chief Tarik Khatib said in a statement."

Funny, your own police officers were breaking the law and it appeared that you did not want to do much about it. Police yourself then worry about stickers on a beer.

I do hope they are scratch and sniff stickers!

JackMcKee 2 years, 10 months ago

How about stickers for cats that say "please don't shoot me"

Shane Garrett 2 years, 10 months ago

Summer of my Junior year, Schlitz malt, puked , prayed the parents did not hear me. Which I know they did. Didn't touch the stuff again until after football season my senior year. So, yeah, before the legal age of 18. Why did we think Coors was cool? Oh, because Free State was not around then.