Archive for Friday, March 2, 2012

Coffeyville man reports that he was robbed and beaten in downtown Lawrence

March 2, 2012

A 21-year-old Coffeyville man reported to Lawrence police that he was attacked by three men in a strong-armed robbery about 3 a.m. Friday in the 1100 block of Massachusetts Street.

The man told officers that at 3:11 a.m. he was walking from a bar and that he approached three men standing together to ask if he could use a cellphone, said Kim Murphree, a Lawrence police spokeswoman. But the man then said he was immediately punched and kicked, even after he fell to the ground.

The man alleged that one of the suspects took his wallet, went through it and then threw it on the ground. The victim recovered his wallet, but his debit card and other items were missing. The victim suffered minor abrasions, Murphree said.

Comments

JackMcKee 2 years, 9 months ago

right by the police station. Probably wanted some tacos.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 9 months ago

"walking from a bar" at 3:11 am? He must have been robbed a LONG way away from the bar he was walking out of, since closing time at every downtown bar is legally 2 am.

somedude20 2 years, 9 months ago

Story smells a little bit but feed the judgement machine more info

XEPCT 2 years, 9 months ago

I detest beatings and strong-arm robberies just as much as the next person, but there's something fishy about this guy's story. The location given is within ear-shot of the Police station at 3:10 am.

pace 2 years, 9 months ago

The police station is, like most of the municipal's designs, removed from citizen's access. On the second floor. with little or no views to the outside. I remember in the late 60's, I knew a young woman who drove to the old police station when some person had followed her. There she was able to get help, without getting out of her car, walking over a half a block, gaining entrance to the building, taking an elevator ride, then turning to the open barred cage. Those days are gone, then being near a police entrance meant you could find help fast. Now it is better to make an appointment.
I hate to be big brother, but there should be more video cams for the area.

matahari 2 years, 9 months ago

Well, doesn't say which bar, so he could have walked from the far perimeters of the city. Also, "within earshot" is often the best place to hit. Example is 'closest to the bombs origin, the best place/bet to hit.' Surmising is a horrid habit of which most humans suffer. Oh how we love to entertain thoughts of ourselves having the correct theory. Including myself.

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 9 months ago

Should of been home and off the streets at 3 in the morning. That's when the scum of the earth come out to prey.

ljwhirled 2 years, 9 months ago

First off, it is illegal to conceal and carry if you are inebriated, so lets say he was packing and killed one of the strong arm robbers, or (far more likely) he got the cr*p kicked out of him and the strong arm robbers used his own gun to shoot and kill him.

Then us taxpayers could spend $50,000 prosecuting (and defending) a murder case.

Then, if the suspect is convicted, we could spend another $300,000+ incarcerating him for 20 years.

Now subtract the contributions the the killed and incarcerated citizens would have made to the economy. Lets assume they are losers and average $10/Hr over the next 20 years, so say $400,000 for the killed party and $400,000 for the convicted murderer.

Total cost to the taxpayer & the economy? $1,150,000.00

Yep, sure wish he had a gun.........

thebigspoon 2 years, 9 months ago

Where did it say anywhere in the article that he was inebriated ? I read it numerous times and never read that . Please explain your comment ? Plus 3 guys jump on one and he is carrying doesn't he have a right to defend himself ? Maybe you are tough enough to fight off 3 guys but apparently this person wasn't. How in the world would you think it could be a murder case instead of self defense ? Please enlighten me with all your knowledge...You seem to know everything....

ljwhirled 2 years, 9 months ago

Just a heads up. If someone is walking through a bar district at 3:00 AM asking people to borrow a phone, they are very likely inebriated.

As a heads up, the winner who got jumped here posted below that he was drunk at the time.

I am pointing out how stupid your idea that this guy should have been armed is and what the potential cost (in dollars) to you and I of a gunfight would have been.

thebigspoon 2 years, 9 months ago

Better to be tried by 12 than be carried by 6...

BlackVelvet 2 years, 9 months ago

In Coffeyville, you can probably remove the "good" from your statement. Nothing ever happens after midnight. Nothing. Perhaps he was used to "nothing" and didn't have reason to fear?

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

My old daddy always asked me what there was for me to do after midnight. Turns out he knew all along . . .

bartledoo 2 years, 9 months ago

lol i am the dude that got jumped ya'll. i wasnt walking from the bar...i had been at a bar earlier in the night. my friends and i got seperated so i was tryin to find my way home but had no clue where i was so i walked forever and my phone was dead! i asked those dudes where i was and got my ass beat haha. i was so trashed that i didn't even fight back. only reason i had someone call the cops is because i needed to get home. i thought i was gonna be sleepin on a bench. all i can do is laugh about it really...its a good story.

ljwhirled 2 years, 9 months ago

Yep, "thebigspoon", would have been great if he had a concealed firearm.

jafs 2 years, 9 months ago

Not really.

Please be more careful out there.

It could have been a lot worse for you.

greenworld 2 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like a good time to exercise ones right to own a gun law.

ljwhirled 2 years, 9 months ago

What is up with all of the idiots promoting concealed, or open carry firearms.

Is there some kind of rash of killings and rapes that I am not aware of?

Are you seriously advocating that all drunken party goers wandering the streets of Lawrence at 3:00 AM carry a loaded firearm. Really?

WTF happened to the brains of the radical right that several people on this forum are seriously advocating this position.

I am staunchly for the second amendment. As a matter of fact, my view that responsible civilians should be allowed to own military grade weaponry puts me at the extreme on this issue.

I own several semi-automatic handguns, assault rifles and anti-personel shotguns.

This idea that we should all be packing 24/7 to promote "public safety" and protect ourselves is absolutely insane.

If you are going to the bar and are going to get loaded, do everyone a favor and leave your firearms locked up and out of reach.

What happened to hard drinking men getting into a friendly brawl? Are they all such cowards that they now need to hide behind a big manly handgun.

Cowards.

thebigspoon 2 years, 9 months ago

Where did it state that he was loaded ????

thebigspoon 2 years, 9 months ago

3 against 1 a friendly brawl ??? Maybe you would like to be on the short end of that and see how much fun it is ????

thebigspoon 2 years, 9 months ago

Cowards ? You are the one with assault rifles and anti-personnel shotguns. You do much hunting with those ? What are you afraid of ?

ljwhirled 2 years, 9 months ago

"thebigspoon" - "Where did it state that he was loaded ????" " Read the winner's post above. "i was so trashed that i didn't even fight back."

"thebigspoon" - "Maybe you would like to be on the short end of that and see how much fun it is ????"

Been there. Not much fun. No one died, no one went to jail and (as an added bonus) I learned that it is unwise to get drunk and wander around a bar district at 3:00 AM.

I also learned it is unwise to pick a fight with 3 guys. Useful knowledge, that.

It is called a brawl or a beatdown, not a shooting or killing.

ljwhirled 2 years, 9 months ago

"thebigspoon" - "You are the one with assault rifles and anti-personnel shotguns. You do much hunting with those ?"

No. I sometimes use my Ruger 10-22 to kill vermin in my garden. No one ever showed me how to hunt, plus the meat at the grocery store comes prepared.

"thebigspoon" - "What are you afraid of?"

I own weapons for the original reason the founding fathers enumerated the right; to protect my community against potential future abuses by government.

Also, to be fair, I like to blow things up.

Our current government does a pretty good job protecting our freedoms (well, if you are white and not a Muslim).

At some future point, we may elect a government that doesn't respect those freedoms. Perhaps a government where the separation between church and state is not respected. A government which forces its religion on me and my family.

If this ever happened and my freedoms were encroached to the point where I felt violence was warranted and was ready to die over the issue (quite a stretch at this point), I want me, or my children, or my children's children to have the tools they need to protect their freedoms by force of arms.

This is the original reason for the 2nd amendment.

Now tell me, how does conceal and carry advance this goal? Could you effectively resist the US military with a hand gun? How about a bolt action hunting rifle?

Ask the folks in Homs, Syria ( http://www.npr.org/2012/03/02/147787327/-syria-update ) how useful their semi-automatic weapons are in resisting government, oh wait, those weapons are banned there, they don't have them. Good luck downing a mortar squad with a pistol.

The second amendment was written by a bunch of men who had just taken their rights by force. The goal of the amendment was to ensure that the militia had access to weapons in case this was necessary in the future.

In their case, I would put forward the statement that militia meant the National Guard, but I personally believe this would be better interpreted today as an armed militia of the people (i.e. "rebel group"). Their "National Guard" was more like a modern rebel group than the organized Guard and Air Guard units of today.

Just remember; if you take up arms to enforce your rights, you better win. In 1860(ish) 11 states tried it and it didn't go over very well. Turns out that owning black folks isn't a right. Also, turns out that there is no such thing as "state's rights" as defined by the south in the 1800's, the segregationists from 1870 to 1970 and the modern Republican Party.

The radical right should keep this in mind before taking up arms. Before you go trampling on other folk's rights, remember, the left is armed too. Maybe better armed than you think.

Last time the right tried to advance their agenda through force of arms, they found this out the hard way.

lunacydetector 2 years, 9 months ago

there used to be many cameras on the roof tops of those buildings

equalaccessprivacy 2 years, 9 months ago

Lawrence is a lawless place--full of predators even in the broad light of day--mainly the brutally uncivilized people who have schemed and elbowed their dishonest ways into positions of local power. In the wee hours of the morning it's especially unsafe to venture abroad on foot.

ljwhirled 2 years, 9 months ago

"bartledoo" - File it under "lessons learned the hard way" and avoid getting too drunk in the future. You don't want to be this: http://after12.failblog.org/2012/02/28/party-fails-crunk-critters-its-starting-to-interfere-with-your-work-chimp-sorry/

Kablamo 2 years, 9 months ago

It always amazes me how eager people on here are to blame the victim or suggest that a crime didn't really happen.