Archive for Friday, March 2, 2012

Coffeyville man reports that he was robbed and beaten in downtown Lawrence

March 2, 2012

A 21-year-old Coffeyville man reported to Lawrence police that he was attacked by three men in a strong-armed robbery about 3 a.m. Friday in the 1100 block of Massachusetts Street.

The man told officers that at 3:11 a.m. he was walking from a bar and that he approached three men standing together to ask if he could use a cellphone, said Kim Murphree, a Lawrence police spokeswoman. But the man then said he was immediately punched and kicked, even after he fell to the ground.

The man alleged that one of the suspects took his wallet, went through it and then threw it on the ground. The victim recovered his wallet, but his debit card and other items were missing. The victim suffered minor abrasions, Murphree said.

Comments

Kablamo 2 years, 1 month ago

It always amazes me how eager people on here are to blame the victim or suggest that a crime didn't really happen.

autie 2 years, 1 month ago

huh, bartledoo? At least you can lol. Good deal. Maybe you're alright. I mean, being a kid and all....and from the Ville.

equalaccessprivacy 2 years, 1 month ago

Lawrence is a lawless place--full of predators even in the broad light of day--mainly the brutally uncivilized people who have schemed and elbowed their dishonest ways into positions of local power. In the wee hours of the morning it's especially unsafe to venture abroad on foot.

lunacydetector 2 years, 1 month ago

there used to be many cameras on the roof tops of those buildings

greenworld 2 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like a good time to exercise ones right to own a gun law.

tange 2 years, 1 month ago

Reading through this commentary had me thinking, "Whoa, I used to walk right up the centerline of Mass. Street, beginning a miles-long trek back home during the wee hours, many (most?) nights a week."

Then I did the math and realized that was 30 years ago.

Where have all the good times gone?

bartledoo 2 years, 1 month ago

lol i am the dude that got jumped ya'll. i wasnt walking from the bar...i had been at a bar earlier in the night. my friends and i got seperated so i was tryin to find my way home but had no clue where i was so i walked forever and my phone was dead! i asked those dudes where i was and got my ass beat haha. i was so trashed that i didn't even fight back. only reason i had someone call the cops is because i needed to get home. i thought i was gonna be sleepin on a bench. all i can do is laugh about it really...its a good story.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 1 month ago

My Granny was a birth relative to one of the characters in the Dalton Gang. She "tipped" her hat 15 to 20 years ago....but,

autie agree....This is the kind of thing that happens when a Wheatbender visits the Big City.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

My old daddy always asked me what there was for me to do after midnight. Turns out he knew all along . . .

hitme 2 years, 1 month ago

Probably one of the Dalton Gang.

autie 2 years, 1 month ago

I didn't want to say it...but jeezz. Dude is from Coffeyville...he growed up with violence on the sreets after midnight...nothing good ever happens after midnight, at least on the street.

Pywacket 2 years, 1 month ago

Those pointing out the proximity to the police station: Are you laboring under the assumption that the police's primary mission is to guard the station and there should have been five or six foot patrol officers and a few cars swarming the area?

Why would "proximity to the police station" confer any more safety than one might expect walking down the sidewalk on Mass St or 23rd or Harvard Rd? Your reasoning seems based on a false premise.

It would be a matter of pure luck if an officer happened to witness such a random assault, and it probably wouldn't be any more likely to happen near the cop shop than anywhere else.

thebigspoon 2 years, 1 month ago

Better to be tried by 12 than be carried by 6...

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 1 month ago

Should of been home and off the streets at 3 in the morning. That's when the scum of the earth come out to prey.

matahari 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, doesn't say which bar, so he could have walked from the far perimeters of the city. Also, "within earshot" is often the best place to hit. Example is 'closest to the bombs origin, the best place/bet to hit.' Surmising is a horrid habit of which most humans suffer. Oh how we love to entertain thoughts of ourselves having the correct theory. Including myself.

XEPCT 2 years, 1 month ago

I detest beatings and strong-arm robberies just as much as the next person, but there's something fishy about this guy's story. The location given is within ear-shot of the Police station at 3:10 am.

somedude20 2 years, 1 month ago

Story smells a little bit but feed the judgement machine more info

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 1 month ago

"walking from a bar" at 3:11 am? He must have been robbed a LONG way away from the bar he was walking out of, since closing time at every downtown bar is legally 2 am.

JackMcKee 2 years, 1 month ago

right by the police station. Probably wanted some tacos.