Archive for Thursday, March 1, 2012

Conservative publisher Andrew Breitbart dies at 43

March 1, 2012

— Conservative media publisher and activist Andrew Breitbart has died at the age of 43.

Breitbart's website bigjournalism.com announced Thursday he died of natural causes in Los Angeles in the early morning hours. His death was confirmed by Breitbart.com editor-in-chief Joel Pollak, who says he was at the hospital.

Breitbart was an outspoken critic of the mainstream media. His efforts were behind controversial investigations that led to the resignations of former Rep. Anthony Weiner and former Agriculture Department official Shirley Sherrod.

He was lionized by his fans for his efforts at exposing government corruption and media bias.

Comments

werekoala 3 years ago

Yeah, wow. Couldn't stand the guy, but damn. 43. That's terrible. His poor family.

I hope he has found some measure of peace.

cowboy 3 years ago

"Karma is not fate, for humans act with free will creating their own destiny. According to the Vedas, if one sows goodness, one will reap goodness; if one sows evil, one will reap evil. Karma refers to the totality of our actions and their concomitant reactions in this and previous lives, all of which determines our future. The conquest of karma lies in intelligent action and dispassionate response."

JackMcKee 3 years ago

'publisher' is a stretch. More like muckraker.

grammaddy 3 years ago

I couldn't disagree with anyone more than Mr. "doctor the video" Breitbart. After the way he spoke of Ted Kennedy,lied about ACORN and Shirley Sherrod, I have no sympathy for him. My condolences are for his family.The only government corruption and media bias he ever exposed were his own.

booyalab 2 years, 12 months ago

Yeah, Ted Kennedy and ACORN........two beacons of virtue. As for Shirley Sherrod, she's probably not as bad as Kennedy or Acorn, but her comment embarrassed many liberals. That's why she was fired.

Katara 3 years ago

Obama is working on Rush Limbaugh next.

I cannot imagine the horrors he has in store for Bill O'Reilly.

booyalab 2 years, 12 months ago

I forgot about that......... But I'd rather not believe that our government would do that, (as much as I distrust them in every other area) so I'm going to assume natural causes.

blindrabbit 3 years ago

Condolences to his young family!!! As in Galatians VI-7: Whatsoever a Man Soweth, That He Shall Also Reap. He played a little too much rough hardball and the game caught up with him!

jhawkinsf 3 years ago

More civilized??? Not if this forum is any indication.

blindrabbit 3 years ago

Jhawkinsf: Agree, this forum is not very civilized; but don't think I associate Breitbart with "civilized". Nor did I find any humor in him; but if you do want some fun with a similiar name, I suggest "Proverbidioms", 1980 by T.E. Breitenbach. "The cat will get your tongue", and your tears will be "raining cats and dogs".

tomatogrower 3 years ago

Have you seen any pictures of him? He didn't look 42, he looked more my age, almost 60. He must have had some health problems.

Katara 3 years ago

Other reports said he has heart troubles before.

Condolences to his family. I don't agree with how he went about his work but I know his family has to be hurting now and hopefully people can respect that.

notaubermime 3 years ago

There is quite the poetic justice that Breitbart should be spoken of in rude and disparaging terms given the way in which he spoke of Ted Kennedy after Kennedy's death.

However, while I acknowledge the justification of such acrimony, I do not believe that there is moral value in that sort of poetic justice. I do not view death as a cavalier thing; to be exploited for pleasure or gain. Most of the posts here are doing exactly that. The verbal equivalent of parading his body around like Mussolini so that liberals can throw tomatoes at it to make themselves feel better and conservatives can deplore their behavior so as to make themselves feel superior. I think that is sad.

riverdrifter 3 years ago

"The verbal equivalent of parading his body around like Mussolini so that liberals can throw tomatoes at it to make themselves feel better and conservatives can deplore their behavior so as to make themselves feel superior. I think that is sad."

Great post and the slam dunk.

Corey Williams 2 years, 12 months ago

Nobody ever said anything about ever being "nice" or even being civil. How about "truthful" or "honest".

And, while I'm sure your real thoughts would make a grade school child cry if you "let 'er rip", most adults wouldn't really be bothered. Of course, it helps that it's online and you are (anonymous), doesn't it?

bad_dog 2 years, 12 months ago

To be fair, that would be the same TOS that permanently bars a banned former user from returning, correct?

"If LJWorld bans you from the Website, for any reason, in LJWorld’s sole discretion, you may not return to the Website under any circumstances and you may not register under a different User Name and/or Account. If you return to the Website or attempt to return to the Website after LJWorld has banned you from access, you will be deemed to have breached this Agreement, and LJWorld reserves the right to pursue all rights and remedies available to it at law or in equity with respect to such breach."

headdoctor 2 years, 12 months ago

No one needs to out him. He outs himself..... every time.

jafs 2 years, 12 months ago

I just don't understand how you can justify your own disparaging and mean-spirited posts, if you have a strong objection to that sort of thing.

Personally, I have an objection to it, and so I don't engage in it.

One would think that you might consider doing that as well.

But, it seems that it's perfectly fine to post disparaging mean spirited things about Obama, liberals, etc. but then terrible if somebody posts those about conservatives.

It seems to me that's usually called a "double standard".

And yes, people who hold the same, but opposite opinion, that it's fine to do that about conservatives but not liberals are holding the same double standard.

headdoctor 2 years, 12 months ago

Jafs, that is way it is on here. Posting anything that disagrees with the so called conservatives results in the label of liberal. All they really want to do is troll and complain because if you hit them with the truth or even a serious post, they wont respond or avoid the subject.

Patricia Davis 3 years ago

Dollars to donuts it was a liberal who called 911 when the person saw Breitbart fall to the ground because a Republican/Tea Party would say a) it was all your fault or b) asking for help is a sign of weakness or 3) he's already dead why waste phone minutes.

Death at 43 sounds like a Dickisonian internal combustion or a really bad date with karma.

tomatogrower 2 years, 12 months ago

And a Republican would make sure he had enough money to pay first.

jonas_opines 2 years, 12 months ago

Dancing on graves is never pretty, and the fact that other people do it doesn't make it any more so.

blindrabbit 2 years, 12 months ago

Gotland and mustrun80: JFK and MLK were eliminated by somebody elses bad karma or shortcomings; Mr Breitbart, like Lee Atwater before him were done in by their own vitriole and right-wing diatribes. All were gone in youth, some are held in esteem, others not so much so.

blindrabbit 2 years, 12 months ago

Oh! Isn't it ironic that during them same newscycle that reports on the death of Mr. Brietbart, another right-wing vomiter, Rush Limbaugh goes out of his way to slander a innocent female! A couple of thoughts: No wonder Rush has been married several times, he is apparently contemptuous of many women, how could any woman stand the be with this lizard. Also, maybe Rush ought to consider the old saying, "What goes around comes around", and what time is it on his life's clock?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 12 months ago

We can rightfully lament his death at too young an age, but that doesn't mean we have to honor his legacy.