Archive for Monday, June 25, 2012

One person injured in crash at Sixth and Maine streets

June 25, 2012, 1:25 p.m. Updated June 26, 2012, 12:03 a.m.

Firefighters help a patient inside a car after an accident near Sixth and Maine streets on Monday, June 25, 2012.

One woman was transported to an area hospital after two cars collided in the intersection of Sixth and Maine streets Monday afternoon.

A gray late-model Nissan was traveling east on Sixth Street when the driver said a light blue Nissan Sentra struck the driver’s side of his vehicle.

Leslie Morris, 23, said he had left Taco Bell in the area before the accident. “As I approached the intersection, I got hit, and that’s what I remember,” he said.

The driver of the Nissan was taken to the hospital. The car sustained major front-end damage.

Division Chief Joe Hoelscher, a Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical supervisor, said crews did not need to extricate anyone from the vehicle. No further information was available Monday night.

Comments

Element420 2 years, 5 months ago

I would just like to say I know the people hurt in this accident and the person who hit them ran the stop light and destroyed their car. I hopr he or she gets in alot of trouble for this. Their car is the one pictured.

Jean Robart 2 years, 5 months ago

I hope the person who ran the stop light gets more than a slap on the wrist. That isn't any more dangerous intersection than some in town, and less dangerous than many.

frankfussman 2 years, 5 months ago

This is always an abiding fear, that some other car will not obey the rules, and smash into me. I'm trying to be constatly vigilant, checking the rearview mirror and looking all around.

Element420 2 years, 5 months ago

Theres not much to update he failed to stop after hitting their car and continued down to Alabama before he stopped. The woman in the car was actually my grandmother my grandfather was driving. They just got that car less than month ago very sad it had to be totaled because of this moron. I hope he gets fined big time.

Element420 2 years, 5 months ago

You guys need to get your story straight driver of the gray Nissan sentra who was my grandpa was crossing 6th street when this A.hole ran the light and demolished their.car this was not their fault at all.

Clickker 2 years, 5 months ago

23 year old Grandpa? I'm trying to piece together this story

DillonBarnes 2 years, 5 months ago

Hmmm... we've got competing stories here.

somedude20 2 years, 5 months ago

Leslie Morris, 23 Grandpa? Wow, I thought I was doing well when I made out with a girl while we were in the 5th grade. This cat must have been a Pa by the ripe old age of 11. Damn tap water, it be puttin bad things in our yutes heads!

somedude20 2 years, 5 months ago

What was wrong with my post or pic that yuns decided NOT to post it......can't wait to hear this one, Alex

Alex Parker 2 years, 5 months ago

For some reason it didn't make it onto the site. I've made it live.

Element420 2 years, 5 months ago

No this 23 year old is not my grandpa. This guy is not the one who got hit my grandfather was cause this moron ran the light.

Element420 2 years, 5 months ago

This guy is straight up lieing if thats what he is telling the Journal World. That is a total lie and false information. Change your article journal world.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 5 months ago

"This guy is not the one who got hit my grandfather was cause this moron ran the light."

The LJW should change their article to this suggested version?

DillonBarnes 2 years, 5 months ago

"Wouldn't their observations, based on reconstruction of the accident, comments of any uninvolved witnesses, etc., be more reliable and objective? "

Yes, but not nearly as much fun!

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 5 months ago

Thank you Pywacket, I just hope Alex reads this and they change the story. It is all totally confusing at this point.

Element420 2 years, 5 months ago

I just cant wait until the police report comes out.

Take_a_letter_Maria 2 years, 5 months ago

Actually, the driver of the blue Nissan could be telling the truth. It could be that grandma and grandpa ran into him. He just conveniently left out that he ran a red light resulting in his vehicle crossing the path of their vehicle which had the right of way.

Element420 2 years, 5 months ago

Either way its still his fault for running the red light.

Mooney 2 years, 5 months ago

You can tell by the picture that the driver of the car was a male not female. The female passenger, was the one that was taken to the hospital and checked out. The streacher is on the passenger's side of the car. The other car with one person in it ran the red light and kept on going even after they hit so must have been in a big hurry to run the light and keep driving after they hit.

Element420 2 years, 5 months ago

Thank you very much thats what im trying to say this is in no way their fault. This is Leslies fault and he needs to admit his fault instead of throwing this oh I got hit thats all I remember funny you must have been in a big hurry to get home and eat that taco bell to realized you ran the stop light.

Element420 2 years, 5 months ago

Still I understand what hes saying but he shouldve mentioned that he ran the stoplight and continued driving.to alabama street before stopping.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 5 months ago

Accident report is out and shows Morris (21 years old, not 23) ran a red light and struck the Burgess' vehicle. I don't believe Morris ever made the claim it wasn't his fault, I think he just said, "I don't know what happened." In the report, the RO cites Morris as saying he didn't know if the light was red or green. Either way, Morris has been cited.

Though in the future, I might encourage Element420 (classy) to avoid articles that involve family members. You got so worked up over the article and it affected nothing. Convincing a couple of posters on the LJWorld comments isn't worth a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

Element420 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks I appreciate the classy after but put yourself in my shoes and youd be pissed off as well.