A 30-year-old Lawrence man pleaded no contest Monday to making a criminal threat in connection with an April incident in which he was accused of scaring a 15-year-old boy with a chain saw.
Ryan Shelby Harjo entered the plea Monday afternoon, and prosecutors said they believe Harjo will receive probation in the case.
David Melton, a chief assistant Douglas County district attorney, said in court that prosecutors had evidence that Harjo was angry at the victim early on April 22 because of “some actions that had been taken by” the victim’s mother. The victim would not leave the apartment in 1300 block of Michigan Way, so Harjo threatened the victim with a chain saw and began counting down until the boy left the apartment, Melton said.
Prosecutors originally charged Harjo with aggravated assault. District Judge Michael Malone is scheduled to sentence Harjo on July 27.
Harjo is also listed as victim in the attempted murder case of William J. Verner, 27, who is accused of firing a gun from a vehicle at Harjo and another man early on April 1 after an earlier altercation outside the same apartments on Michigan Way. Harjo testified at Verner’s preliminary hearing that he is a tree trimmer and has tools at his residence.