Archive for Saturday, June 16, 2012

ID irony

June 16, 2012

To the editor:

I watched with pure amazement as lines of candidates filed for office with Kris Kobach, protector of Kansas election integrity. Candidates who last week lived in one county, filed in another county Monday using an address they could only remember by referring to the still-drying copy of their new rental agreement. Dozens of these candidates could no more produce a photo ID with their “current” address than they could name their neighbors on either side!  No birth certificate, no photo ID needed; you are now a legally certified candidate for an office that determines the fate of the state budget, tax code, and statutes.

Just don’t try to register to vote this way for any of these candidates once the Kobach anti-fraud unit is up and running. Saying you’re a Kansan and live in the district won’t cut it for mere voters. Have your affidavits in order and your notary public on speed dial! Can’t wait for the secretary of state’s new billboards: “Stamping Out Voter Fraud Wherever We Can’t Find It.”

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 7 months ago

True that. This seems to be a problem that is timeless and not going to be going away any time soon. Don't you have to live in a county for thirty days before you are a resident?

DillonBarnes 2 years, 7 months ago

I wouldn't be surprised if the legislation wrote in an exemption for themselves, that seems to happen a lot.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 7 months ago

Reminds me of Hilary Clinton's moving truck pulling into her newly purchased New York home as voters went to the polls to elect her to represent New York in the Senate.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 7 months ago

Bobby Kennedy did the same thing in N.Y.

tomatogrower 2 years, 7 months ago

Kansas isn't New York. Pay attention. New York's problems are belong to them. I will type reeeaaalllyyy sslloowwllyy. We are talking about Kansas, not the same state, not spelled the same. Kansas. If you don't live here, it's none of your business. Kansas. Here's a link to a US map. No where near New York. Kansas. Repeat after me K A N S A S.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 7 months ago

In the Kansas I live in, polite responses are expected. Apparently, that's not the Kansas you live in. Your attitude might blend in more easily in a place known for being rude, say, a place like New York. Shall I provide a map?

tomatogrower 2 years, 7 months ago

In the Kansas I live in people don't try to change the subject, when they can't argue the facts.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 7 months ago

Apparently, in the Kansas you live in, you and you alone get to define the subject. If the subject is people moving from one place to another to establish residency and then run for public office, pointing out that other places have a long history of doing just that is part of the subject, in my opinion. And in the Kansas I live in, I am still entitled to my opinion, just as you are entitled to your opinion.
However, you may own the rudeness. That's yours alone.

tomatogrower 2 years, 7 months ago

I guess I read the letter differently. I think he was pointing out the hypocrisy of Kobach and company in supporting restrictive voter requirements, but not being concerned about restrictive requirements for running for office. Hopefully the voters will vote for someone who has lived in their district, and not just check the R or the D box.

verity 2 years, 7 months ago

tomatogrower, I'm with you and you did show up the people who always change the subject when they can't argue the facts.

Funny how it's ok to call you rude in an intensely rude manner, and dare I say by people who have been known to be rude themselves.

tomatogrower 2 years, 7 months ago

Great letter. I hope the voters in those districts to where carpet baggers have moved, are paying attention. Even in the primaries.

Mixolydian 2 years, 7 months ago

I want someone to represent me who has a home in my district, not merely a house.

Jimo 2 years, 7 months ago

What's bizarre is that the War on Leprechaun Fraud is fought in Kansas, where no one believes leprechauns live, just as valiantly as in places like Florida, the mythical home of leprechauns.

Ragingbear 2 years, 7 months ago

Did anyone here know that Chris Kobach is an illegal Canadian Citizen?

Fred Mertz 2 years, 7 months ago

@raging - so who cares about "Chris Kobach" as long as Kris Kobach is a legal resident.

Ragingbear 2 years, 7 months ago

But he's not a legal resident. He should present an unaltered original birth certificate (which he can't) or be sent to prison.

Patricia Davis 2 years, 7 months ago

I hope this gives the DOJ a nail to drive in the Vote ID/suppression coffin.

JackMcKee 2 years, 7 months ago

calling it irony is too kind. It's hypocrisy. Much worse.

Katara 2 years, 7 months ago

It is like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife.