Archive for Saturday, June 16, 2012

ID irony

June 16, 2012

To the editor:

I watched with pure amazement as lines of candidates filed for office with Kris Kobach, protector of Kansas election integrity. Candidates who last week lived in one county, filed in another county Monday using an address they could only remember by referring to the still-drying copy of their new rental agreement. Dozens of these candidates could no more produce a photo ID with their “current” address than they could name their neighbors on either side!  No birth certificate, no photo ID needed; you are now a legally certified candidate for an office that determines the fate of the state budget, tax code, and statutes.

Just don’t try to register to vote this way for any of these candidates once the Kobach anti-fraud unit is up and running. Saying you’re a Kansan and live in the district won’t cut it for mere voters. Have your affidavits in order and your notary public on speed dial! Can’t wait for the secretary of state’s new billboards: “Stamping Out Voter Fraud Wherever We Can’t Find It.”

Comments

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

calling it irony is too kind. It's hypocrisy. Much worse.

weiser 1 year, 10 months ago

As long as they get in-State tuition; that's all I care about.

Patricia Davis 1 year, 10 months ago

I hope this gives the DOJ a nail to drive in the Vote ID/suppression coffin.

Ragingbear 1 year, 10 months ago

Did anyone here know that Chris Kobach is an illegal Canadian Citizen?

Jimo 1 year, 10 months ago

What's bizarre is that the War on Leprechaun Fraud is fought in Kansas, where no one believes leprechauns live, just as valiantly as in places like Florida, the mythical home of leprechauns.

Mixolydian 1 year, 10 months ago

I want someone to represent me who has a home in my district, not merely a house.

tomatogrower 1 year, 10 months ago

Great letter. I hope the voters in those districts to where carpet baggers have moved, are paying attention. Even in the primaries.

Jackie Jackasserson 1 year, 10 months ago

Too true Frankie - and you can't be considered a resident for tuition purposes even after residing here in Kansas for a full year without tons of documentation. And even then, you will not likely be permitted to pay only instate tuition. I was never allowed to pay instate tuition even after living in Kansas for a full year with a certainty that I would stay to finish my graduate program.

tange 1 year, 10 months ago

Kansas... it's a moveable feast.

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 10 months ago

Reminds me of Hilary Clinton's moving truck pulling into her newly purchased New York home as voters went to the polls to elect her to represent New York in the Senate.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 10 months ago

True that. This seems to be a problem that is timeless and not going to be going away any time soon. Don't you have to live in a county for thirty days before you are a resident?