From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for June 15, 1987:
- Two people were rescued early this morning from the second-floor roof porch of an apartment house at 1113 Connecticut. After an unattended coffee maker had started the blaze in the first-floor apartment, the second-floor residents had been unable to escape through the stairwell but had been able to climb down the fire department's ladder on their own. Damages to the building were estimated at $25,000.
- The previous day, which had been a Sunday, had been the hottest day yet recorded this year for the Lawrence area. The official high of 97 degrees had tied the record high set in 1936. Another breathlessly hot day was forecast for today, with temperatures expected to reach 100. Heavy demands on the electric utility had caused power outages yesterday for more than 1,450 customers, including the Hillcrest Theater, where the 5:00 p.m. movie showings had been interrupted for about 45 minutes.
- Eugene O'Trimble brought the first load of wheat harvested in Douglas County to the Farmers Co-Op Elevator in North Lawrence this morning. Wheat was ripening fast in the area and harvest had begun about three weeks ahead of the usual time. O'Trimble's wheat tested at 13.7 percent moisture per 60 lbs.