Archive for Monday, June 11, 2012

Woman charged with DUI, claims she swerved to ‘avoid bunny’

June 11, 2012

Lawrence police arrested a 21-year-old Lawrence woman for DUI, reckless driving and leaving the scene of an accident early Monday after a crash in the 4100 block of West 24th Street.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a police spokesman, said the woman struck a utility box about 1:40 a.m. after passing another vehicle. The car also struck a tree and parked vehicle.

McKinley said the woman told police she had swerved to avoid a “small animal or bunny” because she was an animal lover. She posted $800 bond, and she was given notice to appear on formal charges June 27 in municipal court.

Comments

Anthony Mall 2 years, 4 months ago

Was she trying to save the 'bunny' when she fled the scene? Or yelling to hurry because the cops were coming? Pathetic!!!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 4 months ago

Who besides me is reminded of 'Harvey', a play about a man whose best friend is a pooka named Harvey—in the form of a six-foot, three-and-one-half-inch tall invisible rabbit?

The play was written by Mary Chase in 1944, and she received the Pulitzer Prize for Drama for the work in 1945. The following year, 1950, 'Harvey' was made into a film, starring James Stewart.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 4 months ago

Wow did I mess that one up! I didn't finish a phrasing change. It should have read:

The play was written by Mary Chase in 1944, and the following year she received the Pulitzer Prize for Drama for the work. In 1950 'Harvey' was made into a film, starring James Stewart.

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

I've been shooting bunnies all spring because I have an infestation. I've never seen so many rabbits. Some days there will be 5 or 6 just laying in my back yard eating grass. This is after shooting about 10 of them. They could eat all the grass they want, but they also like to eat flowers, shrubs, spruce trees. They are voracious. Luckily there are barn owls and great horned owls breeding like mad. If anything, this young lass should be trying to run these things over.

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

On a related note, I discovered one of my beautiful Colorado Blue Spruces has an infestation of its own, namely bagworms. They've already done quite a nice bit of damage. I can't really shoot those but a little Bacillus thuringiensis that I sprayed tonight should give those little buggers a nasty case of death.

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

I've also caught one rat, 6 mice and a crawfish all in my garden. The rat did his best to destroy the entire plot. It's been a heck of a Spring.