Archive for Sunday, June 10, 2012

TerriLois Gregory moves to Ottawa

June 10, 2012

OTTAWA— A freshman conservative Republican in the Kansas House has moved to another city to run for re-election, avoiding a potential primary contest with another GOP conservative.

Rep. TerriLois Gregory lived in Baldwin City when she was elected in the 10th District of northeast Kansas in 2010. The district included part of Douglas County and neighboring Franklin County.

But three federal judges hearing a political redistricting lawsuit adjusted House districts last week to account for shifts in population over the past decade.

The new 10th District now includes the Eudora home of Rep. Anthony Brown, who was first elected in 2004.

Gregory announced Saturday that she moved to Ottawa, now outside the 10th District, and registered to vote there to run for the open 59th District seat.

Comments

Shelley Bock 2 years, 6 months ago

This is funny. Wonder what the good people of the Ottawa area will think of her. Don't know if they have an incumbent already.

I wonder if some of the participants in the lack of legislative action now rue the missed chances for compromise. This is what happens when politicians become strident and unwavering in their positions. No one is satisfied when a neutral party comes in and establishes order instead of recognizing divisive politics.

Personally, a neutral commission should be established that would decide this type of issue. Enough of the legislature held hostage by intransigent political factions.

Orwell 2 years, 6 months ago

She's obviously more interested in keeping a seat than in representing her community. Her actual constituency will continue to be Koch Industries.

Kirk Larson 2 years, 6 months ago

Hey Orwell, some pigs are more equal than others and the Koch brothers are the most equal of all.

somebodynew 2 years, 6 months ago

well, observant - I guess she has to find someway to use that (not so secret) recorder she has. Probably paid for it with our dollars, so has to find a new position to justify it. AND, too scared to run against someone in her home district.

I do hope someone will keep track of where some of these people actually 'move' to. If I lived in one of the districts where I suddenly got a 'new resident' I would want to be sure they actually live there. I wish there was a minimum time for living in a district before running to represent it, but there isn't.

chootspa 2 years, 6 months ago

Not only should they investigate whether or not she really lives there, they should check to make sure she paid for her move with her own money and not an undisclosed campaign donation.

1southernjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

And they should check to make sure that all the voters in her district are properly registered and can present proper id to ensure that they are who they say they are. Ooops.

chootspa 2 years, 6 months ago

She's got to find some way to draw that sweet KPERS check while voting to screw over teacher benefits.

WilburNether 2 years, 6 months ago

That's pathetic. Get a life, TerriLois.

verity 2 years, 6 months ago

What happens if nobody files in time to run in a district?

Write in?

Some years ago, in the district I grew up in, some of the Republicans wanted to give the current representative a scare because she was too liberal (meaning pro-choice), so they voted for the extreme rightwing candidate in the primary, thinking that he wouldn't win. Well, he did win the primary and thought he had the position, as no Democrat was running. Desperation and hysteria ensued and, finally at the last minute, the incumbent was persuaded to run as a write in. She won.

average 2 years, 6 months ago

There's still until August to file by petition to get on the general election ballot as an independent. But, that takes verified signatures from something like 4% of the voters in your district. Not actually that easy. Still, much easier to organize than a successful write-in campaign against anyone actually on the ballot.

I don't think all the third-party (Libertarians, rump Reform, etc) have had their caucuses. If there are any seats without an R or D running, I'm sure they'll find someone to put on the ballot (since s/he'd be one of the highest-elected Libertarians in the nation).

Today is the deadline to get on the primary ballots. Only Rs and Ds get state-sponsored primaries and non-petition (pay your fee and you're on) primary access.

verity 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for the information---looks like we're in for an interesting ride this election.

average 2 years, 6 months ago

Interesting it will be. One other important date on the calendar is July 17th. That's the last day to register/affiliate/change affiliations for the August primary. Not that it's ever amounted to a huge number of voters, but I would expect to see some 'strategic' registration pick up depending on which primary races are interesting. Mostly because there may actually be some meaningful primary races this year.

chootspa 2 years, 6 months ago

I hope someone runs against both Brown and Gregory. They need to go.

yourworstnightmare 2 years, 6 months ago

Brown has filed for the 3rd senate race. Oops.

chootspa 2 years, 6 months ago

She wouldn't have won in a district with more Douglas County in it, anyway. But yeah, snort.

yourworstnightmare 2 years, 6 months ago

Brown will face Holland in the 3rd senate, and it is unclear who will face John Wilson, democrat, in the newly GOP-vacated 10th house.

riverdrifter 2 years, 6 months ago

Gregory rented in Baldwin, having moved there a few months before she ran for office. Few in BC had ever heard of her. On the run-up to the election the countryside was literally plastered with her campaign signs, which obviously the Kochs or some other wingnut operation paid for.

tomatogrower 2 years, 6 months ago

Why did the people in Baldwin vote for her if they didn't know her? That R isn't that important or that conservative. They need to pay more attention to what's going on.

riverdrifter 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't think she carried the BC precincts but can't say for sure.

ltownatrain 2 years, 6 months ago

She didn't Dr. Tony Brown a former Baker Professor and Baldwin Resident dominated in Douglas. She won primarily on winning Franklin county, which, is probably the primary reason she now has moved to Ottawa. Even in Baldwin it is hard for far right-wingers to win as Douglas county tends to be more slightly more moderate on the republican side.

chootspa 2 years, 6 months ago

Or wherever it is that she actually lives.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 6 months ago

The color of her hair is irrelevant. Stanley is the first name, Ann is the middle name. Don't you think that making fun of someones name is rather a, well, cheap shot?

riverdrifter 2 years, 6 months ago

Don't disagree re the personal attacks. I just want to see this soporific teanutty get sacked for good, politically speaking.

chootspa 2 years, 6 months ago

Honestly, it's childish and a little sexist. Hair and clothing tend to get mocked for female candidates and glossed over in the male candidates. Brownback dyes his hair, too. I guess he picks a more acceptable shade for everyone?

She @#$#@$ recorded conversations. She has been fined for ethics violations with campaign contributions. She's an extremist puppet without any attachment to her local community, as evidenced by the fact she's willing to change that "local community" in half a day in order to run for office, and it's the second time she carpet bagged. She's got plenty going against her without talking about the hair.

verity 2 years, 6 months ago

Wonder if there was a run on motor homes this weekend.

bad_dog 2 years, 6 months ago

I was hoping she moved to Ottawa, Ontario.

riverdrifter 2 years, 6 months ago

It makes me hurl. Possum grins all around.

cowboy 2 years, 6 months ago

Wheres Waldo

Wheres Terri ?

I trust Kohack will be performing due diligence on all these geograhphicly challenged candidates.

irvan moore 2 years, 6 months ago

i don't get why she moved to another district if brown isn't going to run for that seat

chootspa 2 years, 6 months ago

Because she can't win in a district of just Douglas County. She likely can't get reelected in any district that knows her too well for that matter, but she can always hope she runs unopposed.

blindrabbit 2 years, 6 months ago

prospector: Thanks for sharing that picture of two dimwits. Embarassing to think that Kansans would actually elect these!

cato_the_elder 2 years, 6 months ago

I wonder how many of the previous posters have ever had the guts to run for public office, get elected, serve in Topeka and then run for re-election despite the fact that there will always be a group of morons who will make ridiculous, ignorant comments about that service.

thtb 2 years, 6 months ago

TerriLois carpet bagged into the previously drawn 10th District and now she wants to carpet bag into Ottawa the 59th District. Citizens in the 59th, Caleb Correll would be a MUCH better choice.

cato_the_elder 2 years, 6 months ago

Are you suggesting that my surname is Koch? It isn't, but if that was your suggestion I appreciate the compliment.

Mike Ford 2 years, 6 months ago

me, my wife and my dad were at the debate between her and tony brown. this genius read??? from a piece of paper like a junior high student giving a report while baker professor brown looked like shaq taking on mugsy bogues in a dunk contest. of course dumb dominated that election cycle not only in douglas county but across this state. I remember telling her that when I heard the words states rights I equated it with george wallace blocking an african american student from entering the u of alabama. it's crazy that people have such short memories of history. I cringed when she said the words lock and load. she was nothing but a brownybot. people like her make me think I could run for public office. most republicans make me think I could run for public office.

yourworstnightmare 2 years, 6 months ago

"TerriLois Gregory moves to Ottawa."

And tragically, her hair was shot and mounted and will stay above the fireplace in the home of a Baldwin City man.