Archive for Saturday, June 9, 2012

100 years ago: Residences on south end of Mass Street to get water mains, fire hydrants

June 9, 2012

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for June 9, 1912:

• "Residents in the extreme south end of the city are to be given more adequate fire protection after the first of July. Last night the city council passed an ordinance ordering the installation of five fire hydrants in this district and a water main to supply them. The new hydrants are to be located on Massachusetts street at the intersections of Senator, Carmean, Merchants and Bishop streets. There is also to be one at the corner of Banks and Bishop. About a year ago these hydrants were ordered in but at that time the water company was allowed to delay the work until the first of July 1912. The company stated that the present water supply was barely sufficient for the lines already in and that to extend the main south would reduce the supply in other sections of the town. The council agreed and the mains were not extended. The Chambers fire called attention to the need of fire protection in this section of the city and last night the ordinance followed. Mayor Bishop urged the need of more fire hydrants and there may be others ordered in soon by the council."
  • "If arrangements now under way are completed Lawrence will have a Chautauqua in Woodland park the middle of July. A representative of the company is to be in Lawrence Friday to confer with the park management. The company conducts Chautauquas in forty cities and towns, the nearest to Lawrence being at Emporia.... Emporia has recommended the company very highly and it is largely on account of its success there that it is being considered for Lawrence. If the company comes to Lawrence it will bring high class attractions."
  • "A petition addressed to the board of education was in circulation today and received the signature of practically every teacher of the grade schools of this city. In this petition it is understood that the signers are asking that the school board further increase the salaries paid to grade school teachers.... The present salaries of the city school teachers range from $45 to $67.50; while principals' salaries in the grade school are from $67.50 to $110. Just what increase over these figures is asked could not be learned."

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

"Last night the city council passed an ordinance ordering the installation of five fire hydrants in this district and a water main to supply them. "

Ooh, those evil statists.

tyson travis 2 years, 3 months ago

Sarah, I've never heard of these streets, have only heard of the early names of the now-numbered steets in the older part of town from Adams (14th) to the north. I assume this discusses bringing water to the Breezedale addition at 23rd and Mass. which was a subject in your pieces about the pioneer movie shot in Lawrence in 1912. Would be interested in having information about earlier street names from 16th on south, other names are available in published books showing early Lawrence maps.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

Evil statists putting in government fire hydrants, and now evil communist unionists making unreasonable salary demands-- how did Lawrence ever survive?

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

But if the teachers had asked for a raise to a million dollars, we might say that that was unreasonable. And if the raise was to 3/4 of a million, or to 1/2 million, or to a hundred thousand, those would all be unreasonable. Getting a raise is not unreasonable. What amount the raise is, given current conditions, is what will determine whether or not the raise is unreasonable.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

And if "current conditions" are created by giving massive tax breaks to millionaires and billionaires, rather than modest raises to teachers barely clinging to a middle class salary???

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

Current conditions are current conditions. Fix one problem before you create another. You don't see me advocating for tax breaks. I think we need tax hikes, on everyone. Everyone wants stuff, but they don't want to pay for it. Not me. I want good schools and I'm willing to pay for it. I wants roads, police, fire, etc. And I'm willing to pay for it. I just think everyone should pay for it. But since we began with schools, let me point out that I'm a product of a public school education. That was many decades ago. And I chose not to send my offspring there, choosing rather to pay for private schools. Yet I still see the value of public schools. And I've long advocated for a substantial pay increase for teachers. And I'm willing to pay for it. I just want you to also pay for it. I want everyone to pay for it. Everyone.