Archive for Friday, June 8, 2012

Lawrence man convicted of DUI related to 2010 injury accident

June 8, 2012

A Douglas County jury Thursday convicted a 56-year-old Lawrence man of a DUI charge related to a December 2010 injury accident near Vinland.

According to District Attorney Charles Branson’s office, a sheriff’s deputy responded to the accident about 10 p.m. Dec. 30, 2010, in the 800 section of County Road 1055 and found a vehicle with heavy front-end damage in the road’s east ditch. Prosecutor Greg Benefiel, an assistant district attorney, said Edmonds was injured in the crash.

The state presented evidence taken from hospital blood samples to show his blood-alcohol content was above the legal limit, Benefiel said.

After a two-day trial, jurors deliberated for one hour Thursday before delivering Edmonds his second DUI conviction.

Edmonds faces up to one year in jail and a minimum $1,250 fine. District Judge Peggy Kittel is scheduled to sentence Edmonds July 20.

Comments

somebodynew 2 years, 6 months ago

George - I am not normally the grammar police, but could you please remember to put a person's full name in the article the first time you use it??? This seems to be a habit of your's and the only thing it does is make me re-read the article a couple of times to make sure I didn't miss it. Thank you.

John Hampton 2 years, 6 months ago

Glad I wasn't the only one... I was questioning myself and thought I was going blind for a minute...

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 6 months ago

I didn't notice the name, what I noticed was that the accident happened in 2010 and the conviction didn't happen until 2012. At first that looked like a long time, but that's not nearly two years as it first appeared.

I used to know one person who had an unbelievable number of continuances for DUIs, Driving While Suspended, at least one traffic infraction, and I'm not sure how many accidents, but it was at least two. And there were convictions on none of them!

It was running into years the last time that I knew exactly what all had happened. After he drove his car off the left hand side of the highway and into the ditch, Driving While Suspended, I cut off all contact with him.

It was amazing how long he was stretching it all out! The theory behind the method of repeated continuances dragging out for years as is practiced in Kansas is to drag the cases out until the arresting officers are no longer employed by the local police force, and then it is very often not possible to get a conviction.

There are two amazing things behind that theory, one is that it is allowed, and the other is that it actually works in many cases.

The law should be changed, it should not be up to the local judges to allow continuances to drag out for so long.

Wyandotte county, are you listening? The judge in room 13 (DUI cases) of the county courthouse on 7th street in KCK allows far too many continuances.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 6 months ago

But maybe there's a different judge there by now, the last I knew of it was a year ago last February.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm mad as hell. It was only an accident that all those repeated continuances did not result in any fatalities.