Archive for Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Kansas to resubmit Medicaid waiver request to feds

June 6, 2012

— Kansas plans to resubmit a request to the federal government for permission to overhaul the state’s $2.9 billion-a-year Medicaid program.

State officials said Tuesday they want to solicit additional comments about the overhaul from Indian health clinics in Lawrence and White Cloud.

Gov. Sam Brownback’s administration said the move won’t change plans to issue contracts this summer to three private insurers to manage Medicaid, which covers health care for the poor, disabled and elderly. The contracts would start in January.

The state needs the federal government to waive Medicaid rules. Kansas filed a request in April.

Brownback’s administration acknowledged the Indian clinics weren’t formally notified of the state’s plans as it consulted with leaders of the four tribes with Kansas reservations.

Two public hearings are planned.

Comments

woodscolt 2 years, 6 months ago

One more step in destroying the state of Kansas. Eventually, one day, the only people who will want to live in Kansas are the people who are to stupid to know how stupid they are.

Keep up the free fall Slime back

Liberty_Or_Death 2 years, 6 months ago

I agree with you, but if your choosing to call people stupid at least make an effort to appear intelligent yourself "to stupid"... Too: "" 1.in addition; also; furthermore; moreover: young, clever, and rich too. 2.to an excessive extent or degree; beyond what is desirable, fitting, or right: too sick to travel."" It's an adverb if you were curious... .Love&Light.

woodscolt 2 years, 6 months ago

Great, we've got another spell checker. I should let you check my text messages to (too). That would keep you busy for a while.

I think most people can make the adjustment and comprehend what my comment said. You, of course being the exception.

Mike1949 2 years, 6 months ago

Being on medicare, if my services are sliced or what I pay goes up drastically, (it raised about 8% a year or around $10) I will be first in line looking for a good attorney! I hope the federal government turns them down because they are suppose to be here to protect the people from scams and dictators!

KS 2 years, 6 months ago

Mike - You might as well start looking for an attorney now because the well is dry. How much should we borrow from China to pay for you? If you are on Medicare, this will not affect you. This is a Medicaid issue.

Mike1949 2 years, 6 months ago

KS - What I am afraid is this destruction of Kansas won't stop with Medicaid!

Orwell 2 years, 6 months ago

I hope you keep that in mind this November. The extremists running the Kansas Legislature bought this pig in a poke, and if the Robin-Hood-in-reverse Ryan budget passes a Republican Congress and is signed into law by a Republican president all the lawyers in the world won't be able to do a thing for you. The Republicans aren't serious about reducing the deficit – they just want to benefit the rich, who have already shown they'll put the money in a mattress before they create any new jobs.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 6 months ago

Is Sam Brownback a shareholder in the medical insurance industry? I vote yes. Are the Koch people involved with the medical insurance industry.... yes.

This is just Sam Brownback responding to his leaders who want to take over trillions of state tax dollars for their own profiteering. It's known as over throwing the state services systems yet supporting private industry with tax dollars aka guaranteed profits.

I don't know that many people who are pleased with the medical insurance industry interfering with health care.

In fact I don't know that many people who are pleased with the medical insurance industry.

Health insurers have forced consumers to pay billions of dollars in medical bills that the insurers themselves should have paid.

More on this story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/24/AR2009062401636.html

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

Without forking over some pay-to-play, Kansas won't have a chance with the feds.

Jean Robart 2 years, 6 months ago

I agree that Medicaid needs an overhaul, but not this one. I get $7950 per six months from being on disability. Medicaid wants me to pay $4980 per six months before they will cover anything. Do the math---that leaves me less than $3000 per six months to pay rent, utilities, gasoline, and pay bills. I am writing my appeal to Medicaid today.

Orwell 2 years, 6 months ago

If you forgot about meeting your living expenses and instead paid out the $500/month in campaign contributions they might – MIGHT – listen to you.

shadowlady 2 years, 6 months ago

Boy, mommatocharlie, that is a whole more money per month than a lot of people are getting, and your complaining?? I don't even know how you qualify for medicade.

Jean Robart 2 years, 6 months ago

Excuse me, but I at one time received the princely sum of $100 per month, and couldn't pay any bills or rent. I have a very strict budget,which doesn't allow for doctor visits or prescriptions, and maybe gas for the car (a 99 model, paid for) once a month. I am fortunate to have inexpensive insurance for the car and my apartment. You try living on this income, and you won't have the same attitude. I am very fortunate to live in a HUD building, where my rent is tied to my income, or the situation would be worse. By the way, the state of Kansas figures a FAMILY can live on $450 per month. Wanna try that?

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 6 months ago

I know very few on disability that are not able to copulate, go to walmart, garage sales or anything else they want to do that does not involve some type of employment.

chootspa 2 years, 6 months ago

IOW, you know very few on disability.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 6 months ago

A lot of people that are low income go to Walmart. Please explain just what the sex lives of those on disability have to do with this.

chootspa 2 years, 6 months ago

And yet our current legislature is working toward making sure there's less and less they can do to avoid it.

Liberty_Or_Death 2 years, 6 months ago

Pull our blinds shut... Exactly what's wrong my Lawrence family, wake up!