Archive for Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Hutchinson expands anti-bias ordinance

June 6, 2012

HUTCHINSON — The Hutchinson City Council has agreed to add sexual orientation to the city’s anti-bias ordinance.

The council approved the addition by a 3-2 vote Tuesday. The issue had drawn strong public comment at past meetings but only one person spoke against the ordinance before the final vote.

The Hutchinson News reported that the Kansas Family Policy Council, which opposed the ordinance, is talking to other opponents to decide whether to start a petition campaign to put the issue to a public vote.

Because only 1,308 people voted in the last municipal election, opponents would need only 327 valid signatures to get the issue on the ballot.

Comments

ivalueamerica 1 year, 10 months ago

I am very much against special rights and there should be a law....

a law outlawing judeo christian sharia laws allowing special privilege to certain sects of any region create law forcing the rest of us to follow their religious values.

I am a christian, but I am also an American and I hail unto Cesar that witch is Cesar's and I hail unto God that which is God.

I see no reason, in any way shape or form to force others by legislation or inaction to believe the same as me and I personally charge any Christian who feels otherwise as being a false Christian who does not read or understand the New Testament.

We were taught to lead by example, not force and if you do not get that, you fail God and America

Orwell 1 year, 10 months ago

I've never seen so much as an attempt to explain how gay rights/behavior/marriage could possibly affect the family unit adversely. It's just an empty claim; it supports the bigoted anti-equality agenda only if you don't think about it.

Show me the straight spouse who can demonstrate his/her marriage was damaged by society affording a gay couple equal rights.

scopi_guy 1 year, 10 months ago

What always gets me a little steamed about topics that come down to this...

What a lot of people don't understand is that many homosexuals do not have sex.

The same way, for whatever personal reason, many straight people do not have sex.

I'm interested in knowing what kansanjayhawk thinks of celibate homosexuals.

Roland Gunslinger 1 year, 10 months ago

I understand some people view homosexuality is wrong based on their religious texts. But this idea has no place in a functioning republic or any government for that matter.

Governing people based on religion is a bad idea as we can witness in history and in some nations today. We can look at the many problems in the middle east and how basic human rights are being denied and trampled by men running their nations based on religious books. Our ancestors fled Europe for religious freedom. People wanted the right to worship or not worship how they saw fit. This is the very idea our nation and government was founded on.

The idea that homosexuality is unnatural and deviant is absurd. Homosexual intercourse, parenting and courtship is observed in over 1500 different species. That is a fact that can't be disputed and can quite often be brought to your attention by watching the Discovery channel or Animal Planet.

I understand one's right to disagree with homosexuality, but I can't understand how anyone can refuse to grant a fellow human basic rights. Religion has been used to justify countless atrocities in the history of our world and this is one of them.

In America, we are entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. People are pursuing happiness in their lives and are constantly being denied based on someone else's personal convictions (looking at you kansanjayhawk), which has no place in our government.

I'm not for or against God in this argument. I'm for humans and doing what's right. Everyone deserves to be happy in their life, regardless of what others believe or think.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

I haven't heard "cats" in decades, until a thread yesterday. Is that expression making a comeback? Maybe somedude20 is really somedude1967. Peace, brother man.

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

God made cats gay? I did not know that. It appears to me the kansasjayhawk is the kind of guy who would cast the first stone, not like a good live and let live christian.

somedude20 1 year, 10 months ago

Jesus was/is gay, what is wrong with that? Love thy man. If this god cat made people, and people are gay, then god, by default, is gay. So what?

kansanjayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Everyone should be treated equally but make subcategories based upon sexual behavior alone is not responsible lawmaking...it is driven by the gay political agenda...sexual behavior does not equate to race because it can be controlled and changed by the individual...it is a lifestyle choice.

MapMadeMind 1 year, 10 months ago

kansanjayhawk: are you asking for a law to take away the civil rights of adulterers?

kansanjayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

It is a direct attack upon the family unit!

kansanjayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

This is not about civil rights! This is about granting special rights to people for making immoral sexual choices-encouraging deviant behavior- it would be like making an ordinance to protect adulterers.

verity 1 year, 10 months ago

What I don't understand is why people spend so much time and resources fighting against equal rights for other people. What will this change for those who have the "right" sexual orientation? What harm is being done to them? Wouldn't it just be easier to live and let live?

geekin_topekan 1 year, 10 months ago

So the majority get to vote whether the minority is granted civil rights?