Archive for Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Hutchinson expands anti-bias ordinance

June 6, 2012

HUTCHINSON — The Hutchinson City Council has agreed to add sexual orientation to the city’s anti-bias ordinance.

The council approved the addition by a 3-2 vote Tuesday. The issue had drawn strong public comment at past meetings but only one person spoke against the ordinance before the final vote.

The Hutchinson News reported that the Kansas Family Policy Council, which opposed the ordinance, is talking to other opponents to decide whether to start a petition campaign to put the issue to a public vote.

Because only 1,308 people voted in the last municipal election, opponents would need only 327 valid signatures to get the issue on the ballot.

Comments

geekin_topekan 2 years, 6 months ago

So the majority get to vote whether the minority is granted civil rights?

jhawkinsf 2 years, 6 months ago

Until courts rule that the rights of minority groups have been violated. The net effect being if the voters get it right, then it stands. If the voters get it wrong, the courts overrule them. At least in theory that's how it works.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 6 months ago

California's method of conducting the business of government has bankrupted the state. As well as passed some rather nutty propositions. I lived there for many years. It's crazy. Add to that the 9th. Circuit Court of Appeals, which frequently rules in ways all the other courts don't, and you have a hodgepodge system that does nothing but keep all the lawyers employed.

verity 2 years, 6 months ago

What I don't understand is why people spend so much time and resources fighting against equal rights for other people. What will this change for those who have the "right" sexual orientation? What harm is being done to them? Wouldn't it just be easier to live and let live?

kansanjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

This is not about civil rights! This is about granting special rights to people for making immoral sexual choices-encouraging deviant behavior- it would be like making an ordinance to protect adulterers.

asixbury 2 years, 6 months ago

It is not special rights. It is the same rights that you enjoy. Why are they not deserving of this? No one should be discriminated against because of their sexual orientation, despite what your religion says about it. Jesus would not support treating fellow mankind negatively, no matter the situation. He dined with the vagrants and outcasts of his day. Today, those people would include homo- and transsexuals, since they are the "outcasts" of our day.

kansanjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Sexual behavior should not be equated to skin color or race. The decision to engage in sodomy is one that these individuals have made.

pace 2 years, 6 months ago

I am sorry you think someone who's sex life is different than (presumably) yours should not have civil rights. You don't feel the same about someone whose skin color or race (what is the difference to you, some odd feeling about tanned people?) . Step back from your prejudice and embrace the constitution's spirit. Insert hair color or fashion sense, in your argument. You should be standing up for people's civil rights that are different than you. You don't have to like their hair style but you should consider defending their rights to your death.

verity 2 years, 6 months ago

Our laws are generally based on reason, not on somebody's religious beliefs.

gl0ck0wn3r 2 years, 6 months ago

In one thread, you approve of questioning the "dominant paradigm" and in this thread you insist upon maintaining the "dominant paradigm" (such as it is). Which is it, hypocrite?

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

1. Those are just your opinions about "deviance". What if I have different ones? I think that the way you and your wife have sex is disgusting, and I'd like to prohibit your ability to have equal legal rights because of it.

2. Adulterers have full civil equality - I suppose in your view, we should deny them those.

mom_of_three 2 years, 6 months ago

They used to say the same thing about racial intermarriage. And they were wrong then, too!!!

Armored_One 2 years, 6 months ago

Honest question, kansasjayhawk.

Do you have, or endorse, tattoos?

kansanjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

It is a direct attack upon the family unit!

appleaday 2 years, 6 months ago

How, exactly? And, seriously, the heterosexual married men who have extramarital affairs do more harm to the "family unit" than what other adults do in their own homes.

kansanjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Exactly-and when you offer an ordinance to give the adulterers special rights I will oppose it as well- homosexual behavior should not be encouraged by the law.

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

Adulterers have the same rights as everybody else.

I guess you think they shouldn't? Would you deny them the right to marry?

kansanjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

asixbury 2 years, 6 months ago

Allowing homosexuals the same rights as what everyone else enjoys is not encouraging behavior: it's constitutional. Giving them benefits or extra rights others don't have would be encouraging their actions. Religious preferences do not matter when it comes to the government. Why can't many Christians understand this? This is a democracy, not a theocracy!

Pastor_Bedtime 2 years, 6 months ago

Your vision of a selectively bible-themed, all-knowing nanny state is chilling. Nevertheless, a great portion of your fellow Churchies can't seem to remain faithful in their hetro lives, so good luck on mandating your will upon all ~ when your own flock clearly needs tending first. I'll bet that the small fraction of extremists who subscribe to your agenda includes many a frustrated sinner anxious to deflect ~ or lessen ~ accountability for their own sins through the subjugation of others.

pace 2 years, 6 months ago

KJ, I don't agree, I think gays wanting to get hitched is direct support of the family unit. I don't think most people should marry, a life long commitment, terrible gamble containing a variety of odd situations. many a promise has been ruined by making the wrong promise to the wrong person. In many different sex marriages, it is still true that often the wife has both the house work, and the job, and suppose to be too caring to take the time to read a book, and often tries to love everybody all the time. Wife and Mother are either the heroes of civilization or the greatest dupes in the world. The only assault on that by same sex marriage is the fantasy, the same sex partners might not be bound by agrarian traditions and taboos that constrict the modern partnerships. That might threaten people who are trying to live like it is 1850 in the twenty first century. To be fair there are also great rewards in living a loving life, of commitment, mutual support and home cooking is easier in a clan unit. For gay people to want to enter into the formality of marriage, speaks volumes of support for the family unit. They have the right to form a family. It isn't they don't have the right, their rights are denied by prejudice. Throw bird seed at them as you would any other human being. Most people want a family unit, love and the depth of commitment. Power to them. I might be a direct attack on the family unit. I say don't do it. It is a bad gamble, with a lot of work and the very good chance you will never read a book again, uninterrupted.

pace 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes, I was addressing the remark about attack on families. But you are correct, the ordinance is only looking at employment and housing if I understand correctly.

tolawdjk 2 years, 6 months ago

The more I read this person's comments, the more I think he/she/it is a characture of a Christian and not a real breathing person.

My "family unit" has more rules about when the Xbox can and will be played in the house than they have about the two guys that live across the street from us. In fact, I believe my oldest is in negotiations with the latter about summer yardwork in an effort to increase money and access to the former.

I guess if they pay him to weed the garden and mow the yard and that allows him to procure funding for Madden "whatever is next" then that -could- be a couple gays attacking my family unit! Best get myself a cross burning organized and another case of 5.56x45 and teach them people if they think they will be gainfully employing my boy!

Armored_One 2 years, 6 months ago

I dare you to list these "special rights" you are claiming that they are going to given under this ordinance.

Ten bucks says you cannot list anything that they are being "given" that every American citizen was given at birth.

MapMadeMind 2 years, 6 months ago

kansanjayhawk: are you asking for a law to take away the civil rights of adulterers?

kansanjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Everyone should be treated equally but make subcategories based upon sexual behavior alone is not responsible lawmaking...it is driven by the gay political agenda...sexual behavior does not equate to race because it can be controlled and changed by the individual...it is a lifestyle choice.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 6 months ago

I would point to the various scientific evidence that shows that sexuality is not a choice, but I'm going to guess that you think all that evil science stuff is just the devil's work.

Pastor_Bedtime 2 years, 6 months ago

Bigotry and hatred go hand-in-hand with the radical Christian agenda. And when rational folks hear of Christians advocating violence against gays ~like the Baptist freak in Seneca, they stand up for what's right. The ordinance in Hutch is a good thing, unless you are one of those victimizers. Your era has eclipsed, KJH. And your "lifestyle choice" to subscribe to a Christian Theocracy is simply un-American.

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

If everyone should be treated equally, then it follows quite obviously and logically that gay folks should be allowed to get married.

Sexual behavior doesn't have to equate to race.

Greg Cooper 2 years, 6 months ago

George Orwell in Animal Farm:

"All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others."

I think, in the United States, we have subscribed to the proposition that "...all men are created equal..." Your opinions run contrary to the Constitution.

Further, you make assumptions that have no basis in science, sociology, or good sense.

somedude20 2 years, 6 months ago

Jesus was/is gay, what is wrong with that? Love thy man. If this god cat made people, and people are gay, then god, by default, is gay. So what?

tomatogrower 2 years, 6 months ago

He's an old testament Christian. They just worship Jesus' death, not what he taught. They look to the parts of the Bible that were more about the middle eastern culture than about God. Then Jesus came along and told all these "moral" holier than thou people that they were wrong. Why do you think they killed him? kansasjayhawk would have thrown the first stone.

verity 2 years, 6 months ago

My brother had a gay cat once. He (the cat) went to live with the neighbors---I think there was some conflict with the other cats over the catnip patch. Or maybe the manly farm tomcats were mean to him. The neighbor really like him.

somedude20 2 years, 6 months ago

Gay cat sounds a killer name for a children's music band name. Pass the catnip on de left hand side

jhawkinsf 2 years, 6 months ago

I haven't heard "cats" in decades, until a thread yesterday. Is that expression making a comeback? Maybe somedude20 is really somedude1967. Peace, brother man.

somedude20 2 years, 6 months ago

Far out, man! I like the sound of cat, Yo, this cat last night smoke a lid to himself...better than dude

scopi_guy 2 years, 6 months ago

What always gets me a little steamed about topics that come down to this...

What a lot of people don't understand is that many homosexuals do not have sex.

The same way, for whatever personal reason, many straight people do not have sex.

I'm interested in knowing what kansanjayhawk thinks of celibate homosexuals.

scopi_guy 2 years, 6 months ago

vicariously?

Seriously, thoug...When people talk about how immoral homosexuality is, it seems most think they're out there every minute of every day with nothing but sex sex sex on their minds and doing something about it 24/7.

I'm reminded of a show I saw on TV a while back about a straight couple. The husband had to have most of his penis surgically removed. While not able to have "regualr" sex with a woman (his wife), does that not mean that he's still straight?

They could still love eachother and care for eachother without doing it like a couple of weasels out on the front yard each night. Same for elderly couples, those with health issues, etc.

Orwell 2 years, 6 months ago

I've never seen so much as an attempt to explain how gay rights/behavior/marriage could possibly affect the family unit adversely. It's just an empty claim; it supports the bigoted anti-equality agenda only if you don't think about it.

Show me the straight spouse who can demonstrate his/her marriage was damaged by society affording a gay couple equal rights.

ivalueamerica 2 years, 6 months ago

I am very much against special rights and there should be a law....

a law outlawing judeo christian sharia laws allowing special privilege to certain sects of any region create law forcing the rest of us to follow their religious values.

I am a christian, but I am also an American and I hail unto Cesar that witch is Cesar's and I hail unto God that which is God.

I see no reason, in any way shape or form to force others by legislation or inaction to believe the same as me and I personally charge any Christian who feels otherwise as being a false Christian who does not read or understand the New Testament.

We were taught to lead by example, not force and if you do not get that, you fail God and America

pace 2 years, 6 months ago

there should be some sort of music in the background with a faint sound of fireworks at the end. bravo.