Archive for Tuesday, June 5, 2012

100 years ago: Lawrence members celebrate opening of new Lake View clubhouse

June 5, 2012

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for June 5, 1912:

• "Never before have so many autos, wagons, carriages and people been seen on Massachusetts at once as filled the street and thronged the sidewalk yesterday between 12 and 1 o'clock. For Lawrence had never been photographed before by a real motion picture camera.... With the stores and street decorated with flags and bunting they would have taken a pretty picture without the added attractions of gayly decorated autos winding in and out among heavily laden transfer wagons, motor trucks, tally-hos, street cars and carriages. But they were there, too, and added to the scene. Every member of the auto club was out with his car, the motor cycle club turned out its entire squad of pop-pop riders; the Driving club was well represented and the Walking club had its full quota on the sidewalk. The whole presented a very pleasing and busy appearance that will no doubt make a great hit when seen upon the screen.... The weather conditions were perfect and everything moved off without interruption."
  • "The Lawrence members of the Lake View Shooting and Fishing Club will formally open their new home at Lake View tomorrow. Last Thursday was Topeka day at the club while tomorrow is to be Lawrence day and the following Thursday Kansas City day. Practically the entire Lawrence membership will go up to Lake View tomorrow morning and spend the day at the popular resort. A large number of members and their families will go up in cars while others will take the train early in the morning. It is expected that about 100 people from here will be at the opening. No special program will be followed as the affair is simply to be a day's outing in which the members will look over their new home and just have a good time. At noon there will be dinner served in the large dining room of the club house while in the evening a picnic lunch on the grass will be enjoyed. Otherwise the members will do just as they please during the day. This is an occasion which Lawrence club members have been anxiously awaiting for some time. They have watched carefully the progress made during the winter in the new building and are now thoroughly happy that the structure is completed and that their new home is ready for them. They had many a good time at the old club house, but the new one gives added beauty and attraction to the resort at Lake View."

Comments

bebeeh 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Did you list the original members?

Sarah St. John 1 year, 10 months ago

"The history of Lakeview is significant because many of the founders of Lawrence itself founded Lakeview."

Yes indeed! Thank you CtYankeeKS. I have a list of Lawrence members (from 1912) that I will post later this evening if anyone is interested. Heck, I'll probably post it even if no one is interested. :-) You might recognized quite a few names on the list!

"Anyone can become a member so long as they have two nominees"

I wish I knew someone who was a member now, or more accurately, two someones. That would be a great place for me and Mr. OHT to hang out. I'd be reveling in the history of it all.... and I hear the fishing is great!

CtYankeeKS 1 year, 10 months ago

The Lakeview Club is a private non profit fraternal organization. Anyone can become a member so long as they have two nominees. The membership owns the club which includes the land and club house (most of lake too). Lakeview Conservation Alliance is a completely separate entity. It is a public charity. It's intent is to promote the conservation of the surrounding land, watershed, etc. The history of Lakeview is significant because many of the founders of Lawrence itself founded Lakeview.

asixbury 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes. They still have dinners in the main hall. It's a sight to see when people come pooring in for dinner. They even ring the large bell outside to announce dinner time, which has been there since the beginning as well. The upstairs has rooms the members can reserve if they don't have a cabin at the lake. You are correct; it is an oxbow lake. It is one of my favorite places in Lawrence.

Sarah St. John 1 year, 10 months ago

It looks from the map as though Lake View Lake is an oxbow lake. One of the only natural lakes in this area? I think I may have driven out that way once, but it was accidental -- was just on one of those rambling drives. I wish I could reproduce the photograph that was in the 1912 paper of the clubhouse when it was new, but it was on microfilm only (not online) and the only way I'd have would be to take a picture of the microfilm screen -- pretty bad quality! There was also a reproduction of the floor plan, which was rather interesting. I did not realize that the clubhouse was still there. Is it being used as a clubhouse still?

asixbury 1 year, 10 months ago

It's a charity now, Lakeview Conservation Alliance. It's owned by the members, of which I hope to become someday! It has excellent fishing, and the clubhouse is still there. There's also trails to hike on, with a very old cemetary somewhere that I have yet to discover.

weiser 1 year, 10 months ago

I wonder who owns it now, and who owned it back then. I guess the members of the club.

paulveer 1 year, 10 months ago

About 1 mile NW of Kasold and the Farmers' Turnpike. Still there.

Trekkerbek 1 year, 10 months ago

Sarah, I am unfamiliar with Lake View. Where is it?