Archive for Monday, June 4, 2012

Man accused of shoplifting, then biting Walmart employee

June 4, 2012, 11:14 a.m. Updated June 4, 2012, 4:28 p.m.

A 36-year-old Overland Park man was arrested Sunday afternoon after police said he bit an employee at Walmart, 3300 Iowa, in the “chest and biceps, causing significant injury.”

The employee had stopped the man, Michael Joe Trogdon, about 1 p.m. because he was suspected of shoplifting.

“When stopped, he resisted detention by the Walmart employee,” and that’s when the biting began, said Lawrence Police Sgt. Trent McKinley.

Police arrested the man on suspicion of aggravated battery and theft. According to Douglas County District Court records, prosecutors have charged Trogdon with misdemeanor battery and felony theft, because he has at least two prior theft convictions. He’s accused of stealing a drug urinalysis test kit and headphones, according to the charges.

McKinley said the items were valued at $50 total.

Trogdon’s bond was set at $5,000 during a Monday court appearance.

His next hearing is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Reporter George Diepenbrock contributed.

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Dear God! The zombies are here! Run for your lives!!!

LadyJ 2 years, 6 months ago

Suggestions as to what kind of firearm is best for zombies?

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 6 months ago

Crossbow because you can pull the arrow out of their head and use it again. More cost efficient. You can use a crossbow from a fair distance. Seriously, you do not want to underestimate one.

tomatogrower 2 years, 6 months ago

They're everywhere, autie, they're everywhere.

JayCat_67 2 years, 6 months ago

That thar is whachew call them high-falutin' zombies.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

autie - Probably just returned from Miami. The outbreak seems to have started there.

beatrice 2 years, 6 months ago

Rule to live by during the coming Zombie Apocolypse -- You never have to reload a machete.

LadyJ 2 years, 6 months ago

True, but you have to get closer to them than you would with a firearm.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 6 months ago

But, not close enough so they can bite you. And, you can use the machete to clear out the underbrush as you are running for your life though the woods, and then wipe it off and use it to prepare dinner. One of these babies and a crossbow and you are set to go.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

When shopping at Wallyworld the only place you are not under video surveillance is the restrooms. Even there, if there is any suspicion you are up to something an employee will follow you in and probably engage you in conversation while you relieve yourself. Guarantee it.

simplykristib 2 years, 6 months ago

Only certain people can stop you at Walmart. Trust me, management and security can and do find you. Why don't you ask my youngest brother how he was caught shoplifting back in the early 1980s? He walked into a restroom and security caught him. And it was not at Walmart.

Jamea CallsHim 2 years, 6 months ago

There are very strict rules at Walmart as to who can detain a shoplifter. There are also very strict rules as to when and how they consider someone shoplifting. If the shoplifter tries to run then yes the employee has the right to detain them until the police arrive. There is no conspiracy going on in the situation an Walmart does everything they can to ensure that the person is shoplifting rather than guessing ad accusing. They have to see the action and watch the person to make sure they don't just set it down somewhere else. There are very few times when this system doesn't work. Walmart is the most particular company I have ever known of with these type of rules set in place.

Jamea CallsHim 2 years, 6 months ago

They have these rules to avoid harassment and other lawsuits. Which is why they are so strict and have to follow them. I don't know about this specific situation but these rules are in place for that very reason. The only time anyone is ever physically detained is when they put up a fight. I have watched people run off leaving their children behind so that they dont get caught.

Bottom line: don't steal and you won't end up in this position.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 6 months ago

The story makes no mention of any physical force used by the employee.

However, in some cases, an employee absolutely has the right to detain someone who has shoplifted; but they probably follow a very strict set of policies. So, it is very unlikely someone will try to detain you without definite proof you shoplifted.

simplykristib 2 years, 6 months ago

Only employees in certain positions can make a stop. I can call management if there is someone I suspect but I can't make the stop myself.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 6 months ago

You are right, I did not clearly specify what I meant. I was unsure if this particular Wal-Mart had a full-time asset protection on staff that would deal with these situations. Hourly employees are told not to engage shoplifters for a variety of legal and safety reasons.

photobuff 2 years, 6 months ago

Really consumer1 - Do you have any idea how hard it is to detain someone that is suspected of shoplifting? The rules definitely are in favor of the shoplifter and not the retailers. Frankly, I am tired of paying extra for something because a few people have a sense of entitlement and take whatever they want from stores without paying for it.

sleepy33 2 years, 6 months ago

Merchants do have the right to detain suspected shoplifters, but yes, if they turn out to be mistaken they can be held liable for false imprisonment, assault or battery, depending on the situation. That is the recourse available to a wrongfully accused shoplifter.

makeitstop 2 years, 6 months ago

It's called shopkeeper's privilege:

"Shopkeepers (and store security officers) have a limited right to detain a person they reasonably suspect of shoplifting. Detention is limited to the premises or immediate vicinity and to the time it takes to conduct a reasonable investigation of the facts. Investigation must occur in a reasonable manner Alvarado v. City of Dodge City, 238 Kan. 48, 62, 708 P.2d 174 (1985)." http://www.kscoplaw.com/outlines/civ&crim.html

simplykristib 2 years, 6 months ago

I work for Walmart. I am not allowed to stop anyone who shoplifts. I can only let management know and then management handles the situation.

Jamea CallsHim 2 years, 6 months ago

There are specific people hired at Walmart to do this job. Yes they are still Walmart employees. I doubt it was a average hourly associate that did this. It was probably one of asset protection. And the guy was shoplifting he had no reason to bite the employee. People always want to assume it was the corporation that was wrong even if there was clearly a guilty person in the wrong.

Whodathunk 2 years, 6 months ago

Maybe the guy was afraid it wasn't REALLY a Walmart employee who was detaining him, but rather a Walmart employee impersonator.

simplykristib 2 years, 6 months ago

James is right.. Only specific people at Walmart can make the stops. As an employee, I am not allowed.

bad_dog 2 years, 6 months ago

Aren't Walmart's security assets also considered "employees"? Did you mean "hourly associates" can't stop suspected shoplifters?

somedude20 2 years, 6 months ago

That bites! I wonder what he was trying to steal...guess it wan't poligrip

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

I recently witnessed a shoplifter try to take an automotive battery out the front door at Wally/6th. When confronted he threw the first punch. Although he easily stood half a foot taller and outweighed the store employee by 40 pounds the employee had him under control on the floor in seconds. Not his first rodeo.

warpig 2 years, 6 months ago

And they are always devilishly handsome!

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

^ ^ ^ I think I just spotted him again . . .

rockchalker52 2 years, 6 months ago

"You know it was a good day if you didn't hit or bite anyone." - Nathanial Parizek, age 4

armywife 2 years, 6 months ago

Walmart, just like a lot of stores has a loss preventition team that deals solely with employee theft, shoplifting, damaged merchandise and anything else that would fall into this category. The unfortunate reason why some employee's (not loss prevention) are getting reprimanded by their employer for stepping up and stopping shoplifters or robberies is that they aren't trained to handle those particular situations. Those companies that don't have trained employee's in this department advise them to refrain from doing anything because it's not worth the employee's life to stop someone from shoplifting or robbing the business.

tomatogrower 2 years, 6 months ago

I hope the bites didn't break the skin. I worked with a guy years ago who was bitten by a shoplifter. He had to have all kinds of shots, and had to get a court order to get the woman to be tested for HIV. Worse than a dog bit.

Liberty275 2 years, 6 months ago

Later, when questioned, the man admitted he wasn't taking more baths than usual, but instead stated that the stolen bath salts tasted good on fowl and were his secret ingredient in roasted duck. As the interview ended, the man admitted shoplifting at walmart was tasteless, but then described the employee as "flavorful" but that he "would have enjoyed them better with soy sauce". The man said he made a mental note to shoplift some Kikoman along with bath salts next time.

Liberty275 2 years, 6 months ago

Well they banned some potpourri because people were smoking it. I figured it was something similar. I don't keep up as well as I should on all the latest drugs. I should probably do more research. Where's my labcoat?

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 6 months ago

Verry interesting. I have no idea what the Great White were trying to say in this song. I love the lyrics, I just don't understand them.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 6 months ago

Angry Timber Rattlesnakes are bad too. Sharks and Muskies can hurt as well.

ottawaway 2 years, 6 months ago

Well about the 1st time someone bit me they wouldn't have any teeth left to bite me again. Job or no job.

akt2 2 years, 6 months ago

I heard on a radio news report that he was trying to shoplift a home drug detection kit and headphones.

brewmaster 2 years, 6 months ago

Wallyworld security personnel must be slightly more knowledgable and customer focused than their regular employees. Typically, Wallyworld employees are not aware that people are present in the store even during check out.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 6 months ago

Personally I enjoy a romp through Wallyworld once in a while. Also grab a sandwich from McDonald's once a month or so.

There is a reason why they both are number one in the field worldwide in respective business categories.

In the case of Lawrence Wallyville is the one and only multi-genre store.

bad_dog 2 years, 6 months ago

Perhaps we should consider taking away your keyboard because your faux analogies are killing me ;-)

cantbelieveit08 2 years, 6 months ago

You all are ignorant. The man was suspected of shoplifting the employees didn't identify themselves he only bit the one guy after his arm was around the suspects neck. No bath salts were involved. Too bad nobody asked any witnesses huh???