Archive for Monday, June 4, 2012

Filing: Abortion doctor letter ‘divinely inspired’

June 4, 2012

— A Kansas abortion opponent accused of sending a threatening letter to a Wichita doctor is claiming that her message was "divinely inspired."

Angel Dillard made the assertion in a recent filing in federal court. The Valley Center woman is being sued by the U.S. Justice Department under a law aimed at protecting access to abortion services.

Authorities say Dillard wrote to Dr. Mila Means last year warning her to check daily under her car because someone might place an explosive there. At the time, Means was training to offer abortions in Wichita.

Dillard contends the lawsuit violates her freedom of speech and religion. She has filed a counterclaim.

No abortions have been openly done in Wichita since Dr. George Tiller was killed by an abortion opponent in 2009.

Comments

chootspa 2 years, 3 months ago

Dr Tiller wasn't killed by a mere "abortion opponent." He was assassinated by an anti-abortion terrorist. An opponent makes speeches, yells, holds up signs, writes letters, has candlelight vigils, etc. A terrorist shoots churchgoers during worship service.

I may not agree with some of the posters here when it comes to their stance on reproductive rights, but I'm sure none of them are busy making bombs or setting up terror cells.

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

How can you be so sure? Why wouldn't extremists seek out a public forum where they can express their extremist views while maintaining their anonymity? Heck, I've seen those who provide their actual names express extremist views, so if I were to learn someone here was also making bombs in their basement, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

Mike1949 2 years, 3 months ago

I wouldn't be so sure about that "chootspa". Tiller isn't the only abortion doctor to be assassinated, and I doubt he will be the last. That is what really scares me because where does it stop. These doctors have nurses, other specialists that work with them. Where does it stop? The claim of "divinely inspired" is just an excuse for premeditated murder just because the majority does NOT believe in the same things that these so called religious right does. If they think these people (doctors) murder babies, then take them to court. You see, they can't because the law does not agree with them. That is why in many states the far right is trying and succeeding in taking away the rights of women to choose. They are degrading society towards the dark ages where the church literately destroy society for the need of power and control. Personally, I don't want to return to the dark ages!

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 3 months ago

Her counter suit will get thrown out. This wasn't "freedom of speech", this was an actual threat. It goes to the Supreme Court decision that there actually are limits to freedom of speech (i.e. you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater).

Pastor_Bedtime 2 years, 3 months ago

Yet another persecuted Christian just doing what her buddy told her to. How dare we question her mission or motives.

Kirk Larson 2 years, 3 months ago

I forget which states, but I once read of the use of "divine" vs "diabolical" inspiration in some states. If you claimed Satan told you to do something it could lead to an insanity defense. If you said god told you to do something then the jury could take it into consideration as a viable defense. Nuts either way, if you ask me.

jafs 2 years, 3 months ago

Where are the moderate Christians repudiating this guy?

Aren't they always demanding that moderate Muslims repudiate extremists?

ThePilgrim 2 years, 3 months ago

Mrs. Dillard is pretty well known in Wichita. At best she is a spoiled bubble headed blonde wife of a rich husband. Following Terry Fox, her pastor, around from church to church as he is kicked out for fraud, etc. And taking his advice to invest in Etheridge's failed Wild West World.

Be clear - Mrs. Dillard's behavior is unacceptable.

Ignorant of common sense, common decency, and just plain stupid. And it is difficult and ridiculous to change her defense now from "I didn't mean it as a threat" to "it was divinely inspired", which implies that "God told me, so I/he did mean it as a threat."

And, most importantly, claiming "divine inspiration" is unacceptable. People of faith hold that their scriptures were originally divinely inspired. And most Christian denominations/groups believe that divine inspiration ended with the Apostles and the canonization of Scripture. (OK atheists, I am using a logical argument after all). Therefore it is heresy to proclaim divine inspiration. That would set oneself up as being on the same level as the authority of the scripture that they so proclaim as divinely inspired.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

It may in fact be heresy to claim divine inspiration, I'll take your word for the theological interpretation. However, what if she really does hear the voice of God? Then it's schizophrenia. Either way, this woman needs to be removed from society as she is a threat to the safety of others.

tomatogrower 2 years, 3 months ago

Since one of the real laws of Christianity, not one of those cultural norm things from which Jesus saved us, says "Thou shalt not kill.", I assume she must be a devil worshiper, and that's who divinely inspired her. Pity.

jafs 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm still waiting for the moderate Christians to post here and denounce this guy.