Archive for Monday, June 4, 2012

Injured 4-year-old flown to Kansas City hospital

June 4, 2012, 4:49 p.m. Updated June 4, 2012, 9:11 p.m.

Lawrence police and medics blocked traffic in the eastbound lanes of Clinton Parkway near Inverness Drive for a landing of a LifeStar air ambulance.

Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical officials responded about 4:30 p.m. Monday to a report a child was injured in the 4600 block of Clinton Parkway at Raintree Montessori School. Medics at the scene had told dispatchers the child was 4 years old.

Division Chief Eve Tolefree, a fire medical spokeswoman, said at 5:10 p.m. medics flew the child, whose injuries weren’t believed to be life-threatening, to Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo.

Lawrence Douglas County Fire-Medical sent out a media release at about 6 p.m. saying that the incident had been initially reported to be a drowning but that the patient was transported with what were believed to be non-life-threatening injuries.

The child, a boy, was playing in the school's pool when he slipped and hurt his head, school leader Lleanna McReynolds said Monday evening. Staff removed him from the water and he appeared to be fine, but called medical crews in as a precaution. His parents planned to keep in the hospital overnight, also as a precaution, McReynolds said.

Comments

whats_going_on 2 years, 2 months ago

I was WONDERING what all the sirens were heading that direction. How sad, I hope the little kiddo is okay :(

middlemgmt 2 years, 2 months ago

Have many friends with children at Raintree so I would love an update if anyone has more info. My heart and prayers go out to this little person and the family. I pray for a happy ending.

GardenMomma 2 years, 2 months ago

She posted BEFORE the story was updated.

Too bad you belittled her for her post AFTER the story was updated.

jellybeanies 2 years, 2 months ago

Is it common to be life-flighted for injuries that are not life threatening?

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 2 months ago

Head injuries can be serious without being life-threatening, and we don't have the facilities here to take care of those injuries. Other injuries are also often high priority trauma, but not life-threatening.

I'm highly grateful we have this service, and wish all the best for the child, his/her family, care-takers, and the children who may have witnessed the accident. Our thoughts are with you all.

northtowngrl 2 years, 2 months ago

+1000! And I'm with the regular Joe Schmoes and the space shuttle for not just my child but ANY! Save the child, worry about cost later.

08Champs 2 years, 2 months ago

If it were my kid I'd expect a space shuttle.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 2 months ago

If the health and well being of my child was in question, I'm sure I, along with many other average middle class Joe Schmoes, wouldn't think twice about the cost of the helicopter.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 2 months ago

Recently the Lawrence area has had alot of air ambulance calls. People need to concentrate and be more careful.

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 2 months ago

....it was a 4 year old, come on man.

nut_case 2 years, 2 months ago

Poor kid...the space shuttle suffered a 'major malfunction' killing all aboard in 2 out of 135 flights. If commercial airlines had that failure rate, you'd expect almost 1,400 jets raining out of the sky every single day. I'd stick with a plain 'ol ambulance.

nut_case 2 years, 2 months ago

oops - this was a reply to 08Champs

08Champs 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for taking the time to reply - next time you might realize it was not a literal reference, but rather it demonstrated the urgency and abundance of caution a parent might exhibit toward their 4 year old child's injury.

Nut Case

DillonBarnes 2 years, 2 months ago

oops - this was a reply to nut_case

rockchalker52 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, this is what it's for, you sanctimonious blowhard.

gatekeeper 2 years, 2 months ago

You know, there's more than one air ambulance available at any time.

asixbury 2 years, 2 months ago

What if he had internal bleeding in his head that no one was aware of at the moment? Any head injury, especially with one so young, requires the quickest response possible; thus the need for the air ambulance. They don't have to be dying to need the helicopter. Use a little critical thinking!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 2 months ago

This is a tragic event: Back in the 1960s, a childhood friend, about 7 years old, fell from a very high place (10 - 12 feet) onto the ground below, and landed on her head. She did not have any apparent injuries, and so her mother was called, and she came and took the little girl home.

Her mother called my mother and asked what she should do. My mother insisted that the girl be taken to a doctor right away. There was no health insurance, and my mother excitedly told the girl's mother that she MUST take her to a doctor right away, and she would pay for it, but please take her to the doctor!

The little girl's parents never take her to a doctor for that accident. Years later, at the age of 42, she had a sudden brain aneurysm, went into a coma, and died.

I have often wondered if her childhood accident had anything to do with that. I don't know if it is possible for an accident that long ago to cause that later in life.

She left behind her widowed husband, and a little girl that was about 7, just about exactly the same age as she was when the accident occurred.

middlemgmt 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm pretty sure that a financial net worth was not calculated before the medics decided that an air lift was in the child's best interest. It's always better to be safe than sorry and if it were your child you would want them to take the same precautions. I'm so glad to hear that this little boy will make a full recovery.

ljwhirled 2 years, 2 months ago

So what if they have money? If you don't have money, I suggest you get some. It is pretty straight forward, its called HARD WORK and sacrifice. Try it.

I am glad that the kid is alright, I'd want my child treated the same way and damn the expense.

1776 2 years, 2 months ago

Well now that we've heard an uneducated response, I will provide an opposing comment: First of all, I am thankful the child is doing well! Next, I would like to thank the staff at Raintree for their expedient, efficient intervention in attending to the child and calling for paramedics. Finally, thanks yet again to Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical for their service and making the call the child would receive a thorough evaluation in a setting that could respond to even the most critical of injuries.

My son started Raintree last Friday and the way this situation was handled supports my resolve that I made the right choice in sending my child there.

Kris Adair 2 years, 2 months ago

The school sent out a message letting us know that the child was doing well. I am glad they decided to have a trained medical professional assess the situation. My daughter is 4 and swims at school most days. And I am grateful for the quick response of the staff to insure everything was alright.

Bill_Slu 2 years, 2 months ago

We should require all kids to wear bicycle helmets when near a pool!

/sarc

redmorgan 2 years, 2 months ago

Head injuries are tricky. They can appear really bad but actually be harmless. Other times they can appear harmless and be really bad. Maybe the child was exhibiting signs of a serious head injury...vomiting, loss of consciousness, fluid coming from the ears, unequal pupils, etc. Getting him/her to Children's Mercy quickly was a good call. I hope the child makes a full and speedy recovery :)

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 2 months ago

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with (TOS violation)." - SJH (1957 - 2000)

Danielle Brunin 2 years, 2 months ago

There was a great article about pediatric emergency room care going around. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jenny-isenman/r-baby_b_1516583.html?ref=topbar

The takeaway message: -Children make up 27% of all emergency visits, but only 6% of ERs in the US have the necessary supplies for pediatric emergencies. -Babies and young children are NOT mini-adults -- they require specialized training equipment and supplies. -Continuing education in pediatric care is not required or standardized.

Many doctors recommend that if you live within a reasonable distance of a children's hospital, it is better to go to the ER there rather than a regular hospital. In light of that, it sounds like the right decision was made here. I hope the child recovers quickly.