Archive for Sunday, June 3, 2012

Man displays gun during disturbance in downtown Lawrence

June 3, 2012

Lawrence Police Sgt. Kirk Fultz said the man, who was known to those involved in the incident, left the scene. However, he was arrested by police a short time later in the 900 block of Iowa Street, Fultz said. The incident occurred about 10 p.m.

The man was booked in Douglas County Jail on aggravated assault, felony possession of a firearm, and criminal property damage. Bond has not been set.

Comments

LadyJ 2 years, 6 months ago

Shaun, read your first line again. Your fingers couldn't keep up with your thoughts.

shaunepec 2 years, 6 months ago

LadyJ, True indeed. Thanks for the heads up.

Shaun

shaunepec 2 years, 6 months ago

I certainly appreciate polite suggestions. Thanks LadyJ

patkindle 2 years, 6 months ago

one think i like about lawrence is all the out of work losers who live in thier parents basements with nothing to do but edit the online edition of the local paper

jhawkinsf 2 years, 6 months ago

thing - I'd edit the many grammatical errors but I'm off to work.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh dear, did my attempt at humor fail? Pat says "out of work losers ...", I respond by saying I would engage in that activity, but "I'm off to work".

Oh well, I best keep my day job. :-)

LadyJ 2 years, 6 months ago

I work three jobs, thank you, and don't have a basement. My parents are both dead. I did not correct the spelling or grammar, very rarely do. I was just telling him he forgot a word, an omission I thought he might appreciate being able to correct. Nothing was done with any malicious intent.

parrothead8 2 years, 6 months ago

It's their, not thier.

And I don't have to work on Sundays. I guess you don't either, if you have time to sit in your parents' basement making fun of online commenters.

Douglas Redding 2 years, 6 months ago

I like folk who post without the veil of anonymity.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

<<< been there, done that.

But then you have your own style on the "nothing worth while" posts. . .

(worthwhile . . . one word.)

LadyJ 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh look Roe, smitty is trying to be witty.

parco814 2 years, 6 months ago

This man loves freedom and that is why he was "brandishing" that gun.

He is an American hero, the likes of which we haven't seen since the valiant acts of George Zimmerman, who himself is the greatest American since Joe the Plumber.

bad_dog 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, the teenager Martin made a bad decison to confront an adult stalking him who also had no "duty" to do so, particularly after being instructed to break off the pursuit.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

Dude got all inflamed and forgot to follow the law.

gphawk89 2 years, 6 months ago

I'd be likely to "brandish" as well when facing several adversaries in a dark alley. I hope that doesn't mean I'd be charged with assault, felony possession, etc. Obviously we're not hearing the whole story here. Possessing a firearm is not a felony (unless maybe you're already a felon).

DillonBarnes 2 years, 6 months ago

It was a felony possession of a firearm. This man was already a felon, and was illegally in possession of a firearm. He has been charged with firearm crimes (among others) before this incident.

thebigspoon 2 years, 6 months ago

" Have no fear of any man no matter what his size , in time of need call on me and I will equalize" Samuel Colt

gudpoynt 2 years, 6 months ago

If he has a ccw license, he could just claim he was standing his ground, right?

DillonBarnes 2 years, 6 months ago

Because he was charged with "felony possession of a firearm," I can tell you, he did not have a CC license.

Armored_One 2 years, 6 months ago

Can't be Yellow House. They painted it, so now it has to be Redbox... smirk

But, thankfully we have smitty here to be a whistle blower... he/she/it even posts anonymously, so it must be true.

hipper_than_hip 2 years, 6 months ago

"A 26-year-old Lawrence man was arrested Saturday evening after brandishing a handgun during a disturbance in the alley between the 600 blocks of Massachusetts and New Hampshire streets."

Sounds like a great place for one of new surveillance cameras!

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 6 months ago

Why does it always have to be a gun? Why not a professional slingshot, a bow and arrow, a mace, a machete, a sword, crossbow, ax, or incredibly long fingernails?

Topple 2 years, 6 months ago

Interesting. I was unfamiliar with these two services. Thanks for the links.

gudpoynt 2 years, 6 months ago

Too bad no law abiding, conceal & carry, gun-toting cowboy wasn't handy nearby to "stand his ground" right through that hooligan's head.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 6 months ago

Since your first post was completely baseless, you thought you'd give it another go?

I certainly don't wish death on this guy, but had a licensed CC been there, he/she would have likely (situational dependent) been well within his/her right to use a firearm in self-defense. They probably wouldn't have aimed for the head though, because as CCers know, center of mass is where you should fire in self-defense.

I'll happily discuss concealed carry and the stand your ground law with you if you'd like, but I'm guessing you don't want to argue facts, you'd much rather simply throw out insults. To each his own.

gudpoynt 2 years, 6 months ago

1) Who do you think legally owned the handgun prior to the perpetrator? How did it get into his hands? Is there any way that opposition to gun control leads to fewer circumstances like these?

2) Suppose the perpetrator was brandishing a legally owned handgun, and owned a CC permit. Would he have been in his legal rights then? Don't you think stand your ground laws blur the line between "legally brandishing a firearm" and "illegally brandishing a firearm"?

DillonBarnes 2 years, 6 months ago

1) Here's the thing, either gun control or lack of gun control would have a very small impact on criminal gun use. It's already illegal for felons to own guns, yet they still do. How is creating more laws saying it's more illegal for criminals to own guns going to stop anything? Even in countries where legal citizens cannot own personal firearms, the criminals still have firearms. Do you really believe the crime rate will now plummet in Venezuela now that private firearms have been banned? Where there is a demand, there will be a market. Criminals will want guns, and they will find a way to get them (just like they have in D.C. and Chicago, two very anti-gun cities). Think about how long we've been fighting a war on illegal drugs, yet drugs are still fairly easily accessible. The problem is most gun control has a much larger effect on legal and responsible citizens, rather than the criminals. I am not opposed to legislation that helps keep guns out of criminal's hands, just as long as it doesn't have an impact on the millions of responsible gun owners.

2) This is a strange question. This was definitely illegally brandishing because he was a felon. So, hypothetically, if someone was a legally carrying in that ally, are they legal to brandish a firearm? That depends, did the individual have a legal right to be there (yes) and wasn't participating in any illegal activity (we'll assume yes for this hypothetical)? Did the individual feel his life or limb, or the life or limb of another was in danger? If there is an adequate threat, he absolutely has a right to draw his firearm. I don't really see how stand your ground applies to this situation.

If he claimed a stand your ground defense, then the police would have to investigate that. It's not a free ride to do what you want, but it does give the benefit of the doubt to the self-defense claim, and that's a good thing. Remember that whole innocent until proven guilty, that's important for our legal system.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

In other news, tens of millions of law-abiding Americans who own firearms had uneventful days. Hundreds of thousands of responsible Americans legally carried concealed firearms.

hipper_than_hip 2 years, 6 months ago

Does the LPD sell seized guns? The DG sheriffs dept will either return them or destroy them depending on the circumstance.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

Bring out your dead (horses)! Bring out your dead (horses)!

ashamedofyou 2 years, 6 months ago

Hillarious. Literally choke on my soda! :D

tbaker 2 years, 6 months ago

Whatever happend to good ole fist fights? Why does pulling a gun have to be the first club out of the bag all the time now? I think it is a manliness issue. There is a growing number of wimps out there who need a gun in their hand to feel like a man.