The job situation in Kansas and in Lawrence continues to show improvement, according to the state labor department.
The unemployment rate for Lawrence dropped in March and April, down to 5.2 percent from 6 percent in January. Local unemployment stood at 5.5 percent in April 2011.
According to the report:
• In the past few years, the Lawrence unemployment rate was at its lowest, 3.2 percent, in April 2008.
• The Kansas seasonally adjusted unemployment rate dropped to 6.1 percent, down from 6.7 percent in April 2011.
• Kansas private sector employment added 13,900 jobs since March.
• Kansas unemployment claims in April decreased from 17,997 in March, to 14,701 in April.
• The national seasonally adjusted unemployment rate in May was 8.2 percent, down from 9 percent in May 2011.