Archive for Friday, June 1, 2012

Bike rides geared toward beginners

June 1, 2012

The Lawrence Bicycle Club will host Beginners Rides on Mondays beginning next week. Riders who want to participate should meet at 6:15 p.m. at Cycle Works, 2121 Kasold (north of Hy-Vee), for technical tips. Rides will begin at 6:45 p.m.

The ride will go approximately 10 miles at 10-12 mph, mostly on the bike path. Helmets are required, and riders should bring a water bottle. All ages and abilities are welcome, but children should be accompanied by an adult. For more information, send email to ask@lbc-cycling.com.

Comments

2 years, 7 months ago

three cheers to gary and cyclewors for holding this event at a place made for cyclist and not on a city street or county road.Alot of [experienced] riders should also take this as an opportunity to refresh themselves on bike saftey, too many of these so called riders of the road do not have a clue as to the accidents they almost cause by not obeying the law.And yes i do ride my bike on the nice bike path provided for me

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 7 months ago

And you can continue to throw your empties at those who dare to ride bikes on YOUR roads.

2 years, 6 months ago

you probably own a very expensive bike,not all cars cost as much as your ride so yes you should be paying personal property tax on your ride.if you reread my post with an open mind i am thanking someone for showing the correct way of riding a bike and obeying traffic laws.and after reading your post i would say you probably spend more time flipping people off than you do obeying traffic laws .

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

Lots of assumptions there-- and all of them wrong.

And you aren't thanking them for teaching/learning the correct way to ride a bike-- you're thanking them for staying off "your" roads.

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

tell me, when was the last time a cyclist ran a car off the road?

lazydazy 2 years, 6 months ago

You're funny. I do have a friend who had a deer hit his car.

lazydazy 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks texasjustice!! They are OUR roads. We pay the taxes for OUR roads. We add bike lanes (they should pay for with little license plates on their bikes, wouldn't that be cute? :) ). I have never ran one off the road, that would be mean. I Have been flipped off. They don't move over & when you're going 55 (the legal limit) on a county road with hills, am I supposed to hug the middle line & maybe be killed by an oncoming driver, or should I drive where I'm supposed to & maybe hit some bike rider with a death wish.

parrothead8 2 years, 6 months ago

Bicyclists pay taxes as well, genius. When bike lanes go everywhere roads go, I'll use the bike lane to go everywhere. Until then, I'll sometimes be on the roads...which belong to BOTH of us. And if you can't take the 10-15 seconds to slow down and pass a bike when it's safe (which is no different than passing a slow car), then maybe you need to be planning your day a little bit better.

littlexav 2 years, 6 months ago

Thank you. Bikes don't have to avoid traffic - WE ARE TRAFFIC.

littlexav 2 years, 6 months ago

I forgot about the caps-lock filter on this site. I meant "we are traffic" - bikes are traffic. If you don't like bikes on your roads, you can stay home.

lazydazy 2 years, 6 months ago

All I ment was when you drive the speed limit, what if you don't see them over that hill. I do plan my day well, thanks. I do slow down. Smile, Life is good. Not everyone is out to get the riders.

1776 2 years, 6 months ago

"...bike rider with a death wish." I commute to work by bike from out of town and there isn't a ride where I am not thinking about possibly being hit by a vehicle. When I am on a county road with no shoulder I ride as far right as I can on the white fog line. If there is a shoulder, I will use it unless I see broken glass on it. Once I am in town I don't pass cars on the right and obey all traffic laws. Even with all these precautions I still get buzzed by cars, honked at and even shot at with paint balls. Even though Kansas law gives bikes the right to be on roadways, there will be hatred no matter how much a cyclist obeys the law.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 6 months ago

Twice within the last year in San Francisco, bicyclists have hit and killed pedestrians. And I'm certain the number of cyclists hit and killed by cars is even higher. We all need to be careful out there. We all need to be looking out for each other.

lazydazy 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks. Yes we need to be careful, all of us. I don't think people hate riders. Some are mean of course (paint ballers need to be treated as if it ware a real gun, no one needs to feel threatened.), but the rest of are kinda scared we may hit one. Everyone need to make good decisions. Are the riders making one if They put their lives out there? What about the persons life they ruined who hits them? Do they deserve to know they (helped) killed someone? Think about that, please. Maybe more bike lanes? Bike riders need to pay for them. If I want to be safe, I spend my own $$ & time to do so, not rely on others to line my road or pay my way, so to speak.