Archive for Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Haskell records request unmet

July 31, 2012, 12:00 a.m. Updated July 31, 2012, 10:09 a.m.

More than two months after Haskell Indian Nations University acknowledged the school was the subject of a federal investigation for falsifying ACT scores for athletes, no new information has been provided about the case despite numerous interview and open records requests.

An anonymous letter to the Journal-World in May prompted Haskell officials to issue a news release that provided vague information about the investigation into falsified student-athlete ACT scores. The release stated that employees were “disciplined for manipulation of three other student transcripts” but did not specify what those actions were or which sports were involved.

Haskell President Chris Redman scheduled — then canceled — several interviews since May. He has declined requests for an interview pending the results of an open records request filed by the Journal-World on May 18 with the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

The request asked for any reports related to investigations of academic misconduct in the Haskell athletic department.

On June 25, the Journal-World received a response from the Bureau of Indian Affairs stating that the request was sent to the U.S. Department of the Interior’s Office of Inspector General for review. According to the response, the Office of the Inspector General had 20 business days to provide the information, or ask for a time extension. As of Monday, the 23rd working day since the response, the Journal-World has not received further information. A spokeswoman with the Office of the Inspector General said reasons for the delay were unclear, and no timetable was set for providing information.

Comments

ashmole 2 years ago

Good for the JW following up on this. We need some accountability from Haskell and BIA.

kujayhawk 2 years ago

Haskell is falsifying SAT scores for athletes? lol.

ThingTwo 2 years ago

Meh, sounds like its already been taken care of internally and the people have been fired for their wrong doing. What's the story here? LJW wants to bring up old dirt on a college that they dont like or something? Seems the only time I hear about much haskell news is only when it benifits the "Diversity" of Lawrence news stories and not much else. Nothing to see hear folks, just drive on through the wetlands.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years ago

Tushi should be all over this as ethical as he wants everyone else to be.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years ago

In all probability most of the records requested are personnel records or academic records which are not open to the public, especially the latter. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If they were produced or acquired with tax dollars or any kind of public funding, which haskell is a 100% consumer of tax dollars, then you should bet your sweet bippy they should be available to at least the ones that fund the university. None of this passes the smell test.

parrothead8 2 years ago

Maybe you think student academic records "should" be available, but according to the letter of the law, they aren't. Your assertion doesn't pass the logic test.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years ago

I have no problem with my records being open. You see, I don't have anything to hide. I don't do drugs, go to work every day, don't cheat on my taxes or my wife, go to church and am very much in the mainstream of citizenship. The problem is, and I am sure you will have to agree to a point is I personally paid for mine, thus they are mine. The records at Haskell, for the most part, were paid for by the taxpayer as, from the way I understand it, education there is free for those who qualify. Now, I do understand there is a need for privacy in some instances, but when you stonewall that becomes a different matter.

I would bet if the University had nothing to hide, the records would have been produced already.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years ago

Haskell students' ancestors gave up a whole continent in exchange for their education.

Whatever you gave up for yours, you were overcharged.

reverber 2 years ago

"I have no problem with my records being open. You see, I don't have anything to hide"

In that case, I would like to file a request for your address and a list of your most valuable possessions :) Credit card numbers and SSN would be nice, too. Your address and SSN were provided by taxpayer money, so I want those at a minimum.

Not everything is as clear cut as you think.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years ago

It's just fine Bozo... I could buy and sell you multiple times over. You see, I have a job. Beats the crap out of living off my mom in her basement.

Liberty275 2 years ago

Not if his mommy still tucks him in at night.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years ago

"It's just fine"

What's just fine? The water?

Mike Ford 2 years ago

taxpayers money does nothing for haskell....the federal government paying after the fact for stealing land does......it's called rent.....be a dumb american and deny it.....

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years ago

taxpayers money does nothing for haskell.. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You finally got something right. With a less than 10% graduation rate, a complete eyesore on 23rd street, and all the hatred you spew, tax money does nothing for Haskell. You need to get with the program. I or any other taxpayer have done nothing to wrong you personally, yet you complain about everything under the sun. Seems like if you would just focus on doing what ever you can to make your position on life better you could prosper, yet it seems like all you do is look over your shoulder for someone else to blame.

hipper_than_hip 2 years ago

If taxpayer money does nothing for Haskell, then maybe the tribes should support it 100%.

bobandmywife 2 years ago

My wife and I second that.

bizymama 2 years ago

Cant_have_it_both_ways: WOW how ignorant you are! It's people like you who make us look over our shoulder all right. With your words of hatred and demeaning remarks about OUR campus and Native Americans makes me feel the pain of what my ancestors went through when they had to give up everything to people like you. Haskell has been in our family for years and years. Starting from the boarding school days when my father was orphaned at 5. My parents met and married at Haskell, became upstanding citizens of this United States. My siblings and I attended, cousins, aunties, uncles. My ancestors paid a great price to have this school for us. Yes it is sacred to us. We will protect it forever.