Breaking news

Freed: Cheick Diallo finally cleared by NCAA updated 3 hours, 49 minutes ago

Archive for Sunday, July 29, 2012

Political novices want shot at elder statesman

July 29, 2012

State senate candiate forum: audience questions

Candidates answer questions from the audience. Enlarge video

Two political newcomers are vying for the Republican Party nomination to try to defeat the longest-serving member of the Kansas Legislature, Sen. Anthony Hensley, D-Topeka.

Casey Moore of Topeka and Matthew Windheuser of Lawrence are the GOP contenders in the Aug. 7 primary for Kansas Senate District 19.

The winner faces Hensley, a 35-year member of the Legislature and leader of the Senate Democrats.

Senate District 19 includes eastern Topeka, western Douglas County and all of Osage County.

Both Moore, 35, and Windheuser, 23, are running for political office for the first time. Windheuser had originally filed to run against Sen. Marci Francisco, D-Lawrence, but the redistricting plan ordered by a three-judge panel put more of Douglas County in District 19 and threw Windheuser’s residence into that district.

Moore, a commodity trader who has lived in Topeka since 2006, said he wants to reduce government spending and cut taxes.

The candidates outlined their positions on several topics during recent interviews and public forums.

Windheuser, who is unemployed, has said he wants a comprehensive review of state spending on public schools.

When asked whether he would work to restore cuts made to schools in recent years, Windheuser said he thought schools needed less money than they are receiving now. Moore said he thought the money schools receive now should be spent more efficiently.

On the issue of taxes, some have expressed concern that the tax cuts signed into law by Gov. Sam Brownback will short funds to schools and social services in future years.

Moore expressed support for the tax cuts that reduce income tax rates and eliminate income taxes on nonwage income for businesses.

“Ideally, I would like no income tax,” Moore said. He said lower taxes will boost the economy and create jobs.

Windheuser said he disagreed with Moore’s desire to eliminate income taxes because it is a major funding source for the state.

“Eliminating it would be an almost insurmountable challenge,” he said.

Both Moore and Windheuser said they would oppose the expansion of Medicaid under the federal Affordable Care Act. The federal government has promised to fund all of the expansion costs for the first three years and 90 percent after that.

Windheuser said he is prepared to work in the Senate after having had a chance to serve as an intern to Rep. Tom Sloan, R-Lawrence, in 2009.

“I love this, and I really want to do this,” he said.

Moore said his engineering background and experience as a project manager has taught him how to budget and manage people.

— Statehouse reporter Scott Rothschild can be reached at 785-423-0668.

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 3 months ago

New is not always better, as evidenced by the 2010 elections and the current congress.

csun 3 years, 3 months ago

If they cut taxes and reduce spending any more for the 'rainy day' fund we wil be able to withstand a monsoon. That may be good since increased property taxes in education districts will ahve many folks living in cardboard boxes and need more housing. We can always save $$$ in education by getting rid of those costly books and teachers. I'm sure the loss won't be noticed.

patkindle 3 years, 3 months ago

How do you tell a Romney supporter from an Obama supporter?

Answer: Romney supporters sign their checks on the front;

Obama supporters sign their checks on the back

jhawkinsf 3 years, 3 months ago

It wasn't stupid. It was a joke. Maybe you didn't think it was funny. But his joke coupled with your response made me think of a question. Maybe someone out there would care to guess at an answer.

We've all seen so many polls. The Black vote is going to do this, women that. Latinos are in favor of this, older voters are in favor of that. I've never seen a poll that indicated recipients of certain services are in favor of which candidates. Or which party they support. Has no one ever asked? Older voters are asked, those who presumably receive Social Security. But I've never seen a poll that says recipients of food stamps are in favor of a certain candidate. Recipients of farm subsidies are favor of a particular party. I've never seen such a poll.

But getting back to the joke, whether or not you think it's funny, like many jokes, it plays upon stereotypes, which usually have some truth in them. Don't we think, generally, loosely, stereotypically, that recipients of food stamps support Democrats and Obama while recipients of farm subsidies support Republicans and Romney. Generally, loosely, stereotypically. You know, there being some truth in that statement.

verity 3 years, 3 months ago

So, stereotypically, they're both signing their checks on the back?

jhawkinsf 3 years, 3 months ago

Yup. But because the original joke mentions Obama and Romney, I would guess that there is a suggestion that each check signed represents a vote, a vote bought with that check. So how many votes are the Democrats buying and how many votes are the Republicans buying? That might be the question Republicans might ask. Democrats might ask something like how much money per vote are the Republicans spending vs. how much do the Democrats spend per vote?

verity 3 years, 3 months ago

It may have been presented as a joke, but the intention was quite clear. It was yet another slap at liberals as being on the dole and that was why Fretster had that reaction. My reaction was also a joke, which you apparently didn't think was funny and your explanation assumes that I am stupid, whether you meant it that way or not.

I realize that too many people are also making unwarrented assumptions and generalizations about conservatives and that is just as wrong. I often get more information from the comments here than I do from the articles, which is why I keep reading them, but wish I could turn off the people who only come to provoke. That seems both childish and counter productive.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm sorry you took my comment as an insult. It wasn't intended as such. I apologize.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 3 months ago

Hey, j, how come Jews have big noses? (I know, it's a joke told by bigots based on a stereotype, but there's always some truth in stereotypes, right?)

csun 3 years, 3 months ago

I guess all the working folks who get a paycheck are Obama supporters? If only it was true, Kansas would be a blue state.

globehead 3 years, 3 months ago

This campaign is nauseating. I live in the KC area. I assume what I hear and read is similar to what is happening in the rest of Kansas and as near as I can tell, in Missouri too. All campaign rhetoric seems to involve one ultra right wing candidate trying to out right wing the other ultra right wing candidate.

I certainly have no problem with right wing candidates being in the mix. However, elections are supposed to be about choice. I see no choice here. None whatsoever! Our current governor seems not to have a clue about governing anything and our Secretary of State was elected on a non-existent problem which was in no way related to the job for which he was elected. But, we bought into it.

Frankly, I’m sick to death of the lower taxes at any expense crowd. I’ve always been for lower taxes but the first and only priority should be for good government. If lower taxes follow, then great. Good policy statements do NOT fit conveniently on bumper stickers. Good government is complicated. It involves work.

Windheuser said he wants a comprehensive review of state spending on public schools. Then, when asked whether he would work to restore cuts made to schools. he said he thought schools needed less money than they are receiving now. Then why does he want a comprehensive review? He already pretends to have the answer. But, he wants to cut so he will appeal to many.

These guys get so far to the right they fall off the cliff. Then their opponents jump of the cliff so they won’t look as left as the guy who only fell off.

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

"Political novices want shot at elder statesman"

I would think headlines about taking shots at politicians are very politically incorrect at this time. Or any time.

verity 3 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I puzzled over that headline for a minute. Probably an unfortunate choice of words besides not being very clear.

Clearly4Kansas 3 years, 3 months ago

Tony Hensley is the best friend republicans ever had. He runs off every democrat who is a threat to his leadership and every democrat who doesn't pass his hard left litmus test. Now after 28 years of Hensley in the state senate, democrats are left with holding 8 out of 40 state senate seats and the possibility of losing 2-3 more in November. But all kidding aside, he was the defacto president of the state senate. He ran the whole show with Steve Morris obeying his every whim. And for that he deserves accolades from every democrat in the legislature, all 41 of em.

Bob Forer 3 years, 3 months ago

Hensley certainly is an elder. But I would not call him a statesman. That species has been extinct in American politics for over three decades.

Consider 3 years, 3 months ago

If you want a thoughtful, deep thinker, not afraid to stand up for himself, consider Windheuser (who is employed BTW...morning manager at the new DD; most 23 yo men are in bed at 5am!)

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 3 months ago

Most people of any age and sex are in bed at 5 am. I fail to see how getting up early to make donuts makes him qualified to be a senator.