Archive for Friday, July 27, 2012

Former Kansas sheriff pleads to meth charges

July 27, 2012

— A former northwest Kansas sheriff has pleaded guilty to four felony counts of distributing methamphetamine.

Randy Axelson was the sheriff of Rooks County when he was arrested in December 2011 following an investigation by Kansas authorities. He was accused of distributing meth over a period of four months at the Rooks County Fairgrounds and within 1,000 feet of Stockton High School.

The Hays Daily News reports that prosecutors dropped five counts in exchange for Axelson's guilty pleas Friday to four counts in Rooks County District Court. The plea agreement includes a recommendation that Axelson serve five years and four months in prison.

Ellis County Attorney Tom Drees served as a special prosecutor in the case.

Axelson had been free on bond and resigned as sheriff in June.

Comments

greenworld 2 years, 5 months ago

And we wonder why the Meth problems havent gotten any better when the ones supose to be enforcing it are the ones doing it. Probly Obama's fault.

Richard Benson 2 years, 5 months ago

Obama's fault, for sure. Blessedly, local Republicans selected Republican Sheriff Axelson's politically appointed (by Axelson) undersheriff Chad Sterling to be the county's new sheriff. So Gov. Sam Brownback appointed Sterling to fill Axelson's unexpired term.

This time they'll take a bite out of crime.

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

I'd say OK with the plea unless he was selling to minors. At that point, out comes the book.

Meth is a real dilemma for a libertarian. In fairness, if the government is to allow you to live your life as you choose, you may choose way in over your head. Yeah, it will cost us money, but that's OK. What happens to the person is what matters. It does horrible things to you. Should I allow you to do that to yourself?

To support prohibition of meth is easy and requires no thought. Too approve of Budweiser and Marlboros which both kill people, while disapproving of meth is either your grandaddy talking or you just being a hypocrite.

One of you give me a single ethical reason for making some drugs legal and others not, let's hear it. No morals, no god, no money. Just ethics.

Meth is definitely a dilemma.

And sheriff, or ex-sheriff, quit selling that crap. Money isn't worth helping people kill themselves. If you go to the stripey hole, try to come our with a different focus in life. Look for Jesus. Something.

Stuart Evans 2 years, 4 months ago

you're right; meth is a terrible drug. I had been around it during a point in my life, and luckily got away before it destroyed me as it did to some of my friends. Though, I'm not sure how much was the drug, vs. how much was the legal ramifications that sent them into a deeper hopelessness. As a Libertarian, I have to stick with my gut and reject the idea that the government should make the choice for me. There is a certain part of the population that will seek a way to destroy themselves, whether it's legal or illegal. At least if it were legal, society could provide an easier treatment option for the few and spend far less money trying to babysit everyone.

Liberty275 2 years, 4 months ago

That's pretty good, and a nice bit of nihilism until you bring the money part in. Not a bad idea though. If a person becomes dangerous, but hasn't violated another rights, should government step in and provide "help"?

Stuart Evans 2 years, 4 months ago

maybe a simple house call to offer help would be in order. "hey we just wanted to let you know that we're here if you need us", would sure beat the hell out of cuff em and stuff em.

Ragingbear 2 years, 5 months ago

Ask any junkie and they will tell you that cops always have the best stuff.

davidmcg 2 years, 5 months ago

I am a retired/disabled Deputy Sheriff, not from Rooks to be upfront about my comment. As a LEO I am very dis-pleased with the entire case. LEO's should be held to a higher level, when they break the law, the should get he max sentence. Just my thoughts. A partner of mine was recently convicted in federal court for civil rights violations involving the theft of personal property and was sentenced to roughly 1 year in federal prison and faces zero state charges at this time. Why? LEO's hold public trust, they are role models and should be held in the highest accountability terms. Sure, LEO's are people and people make bad judgement calls, but that is no reason to break the public trust. LEO's when they break the law pay a price few will ever know, but is it enough? My opinion is no, it is definitely not enough. My partner from a day gone by, forget him, he is nobody to me now and so are all LEO's who break the law. Wanna be an LEO, don't break the law. Be a role model, live a straight line, serve the public with high honor and self respect. If you can not do this, get out of the profession. Crime does not pay, and if your an LEO, you should pay in the most strictest and severe ways at the disposal of the legal justice system. You should not be entitled or even offered a plea deal, just the maximum sentence possible for the crimes committed. The state should never decide not to enforce penalties just because the feds are charging them.

davidmcg 2 years, 5 months ago

One more thing. Since my old partners conviction, every arrest he ever made, every crime scene he was ever at, every action he made in and out of uniform is now suspect with me. Just as everything the Sheriff from Rooks County was involved with is now suspect with me. Criminals I dislike plain and simple, investigating them, charging them and watching them locked up pleases me very much. But when an LEO breaks the law, I am both saddened that they broke the public trust and disgusted to think that they managed in one way or another to ever wear a badge and uniform, to take an oath, to understand that they are an LEO and are accountable. But in the end, the DA either decides to not file charges or makes a plea deal, then the judge allows it all and orders a less than full and complete penalty. S9ometimes, as an LEO, I feel there should be special prisons for LEO's and all government employees/politicians where the penalties are severe and very few instances of protective custody cases allowed. LEO's should serve their time in the SHU from day one until their release date. Let retired LEO's run the special prison and supervise these officers who break the public trust.

ottawaway 2 years, 4 months ago

Why do I want to say if he was selling that close to a high school he was probably selling to students or teachers at that school? Makes sense to me. If that would have been someone not involved in law enforcement they probably wouldn't have gotten less than 10 years. Being that he was in law enforcement he should have gotten more. This is not protecting the children of that community. He needs the book thrown at him with no pleas allowed.