Archive for Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Leavenworth burglar who found woman dead in home gets 2 years

July 25, 2012

— A northeastern Kansas man who stole a neighbor's purse after finding her dead in her home has been sentenced to two years in prison.

KCTV reports that 38-year-old Bryan Keylon, of Leavenworth, was sentenced Wednesday for burglary. He pleaded guilty to the charge in June.

Keylon admitted breaking into the 54-year-old woman's home in January 2012 and finding the body in a bedroom. He took her purse, then called 911.

Leavenworth County Attorney Todd Thompson said the woman was found to have suffered a massive heart attack, and Keylon had nothing to do with the death.

Keylon first told police he had simply gone to visit the neighbor. But police concluded it was a burglary after they noticed a broken window and a button that matched a coat belonging to Keylon.

Comments

50YearResident 1 year, 8 months ago

Think about this: The burgler breakes into the house to steal on Monday (or any day), the homeowner wakes up to find him in the house and has a siezure and falls on the floor. The burgler grabs the purse and exits house. 3 days later the neighbor (burgler) on Thursday does not see the homeowner active in the house. So he calls 911 to have them investigate the lack of movement in the home. The 911 people find the woman dead for 3 days. The police determine it was not the fault of the burgler because he claims he entered on Thursday and she was already dead. He gets off with 2 years instead of "Life" because he wasn't the cause of the death. Waiting to call saved him a "Life Sentance".

VoiceOfReason 1 year, 8 months ago

And yes...if I feel my life is in danger, I would shoot to kill. But, if I came home and found out that while gone, someone broke in, stole some money, then did my laundry, I'd cut him a little slack. You'd have to be a really angry person not to find a little humor in that. Some people need to relax a little.

VoiceOfReason 1 year, 8 months ago

Thr break-in didn't cause the heart attack and any half-a$$ed coroner could determine that, as long as the victim had been dead for some time prior to the break-in. If he had caused the heart-attack then, by all means, fry him...then you're talking about a death during the commission of a felony, which can qualify as first-degree murder.

Maybe he would've had 10 years, but got 2, instead...I have no idea. If not, I still think two years is harsh.

jjinks 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't know why you folks are so worked up about this because he'll be out on probation in a month or so.

Pywacket 1 year, 8 months ago

Sugarmagnolia~ That's just what I was thinking! With no witnesses, we'll never know. I think, under the circumstances, two years is actually a pretty light sentence. Can't believe all the apologists saying he should have gotten "a break" since he "did the right thing." Really?! He broke into her house with the intent to steal. Even if she was already dead when he got there (no proof, unless the coroner says she had been dead for many hours), he still did the wrong thing in stealing her purse. What kind of heartless scum steals from the dead?

And then he called 911. BFD.... For all we know, maybe his break-in DID cause the heart attack and he wasn't sure she was dead. Maybe he called 911 not out of the "goodness of his heart" but in hopes they could revive her... Just in case there was a witness to his B&E who might have been able to implicate him. He might have thought he could be found liable for her death--and he didn't want any chance of that happening.

I don't understand why Voice of Reason wants to defend this guy. You think he deserves probation because he made a phone call? And in the same breath, acknowledge that " I would be the first person to shoot to kill someone in my house, illegally"?

So let's get this straight:

It's okay to just shoot the guy, asking no questions, because he is in the house illegally. But--if nobody does shoot him, and he instead goes to trial, he should get probation provided he made a courtesy call on his way out.

Do you not see how bizarre that reasoning is?

I agree that the woman, had she been living, would have had every right to shoot to kill. But since she didn't (either b/c she was already dead or was experiencing a heart attack), and since he carried out the burglary he was there to commit, he should still receive a harsh penalty! The judge can't sit there and shoot the low-life, but he can put him away for a while. It's good that he did.

sugarmagnolia 1 year, 8 months ago

what if his breaking in caused the heart attack?

racerx 1 year, 8 months ago

There's a Bryan Lee Keylon in Leavenworth (same age) who is a registered sex offender. If it's the same guy, could be why he got two years.

openminded 1 year, 8 months ago

He took her purse! So calling 911 still was good, but stealing is not.

VoiceOfReason 1 year, 8 months ago

Really?? I'm not, generally, a supporter of criminals' rights, but this guy could, probably, easily have gotten away. But he called 911 and waited on the scene for responders. I'm just thinking probation might be a little more appropriate in this case. What are they teaching the guy...don't get caught next time? Don't call 911 to report a body? Seriously.