Archive for Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Leavenworth burglar who found woman dead in home gets 2 years

July 25, 2012

— A northeastern Kansas man who stole a neighbor's purse after finding her dead in her home has been sentenced to two years in prison.

KCTV reports that 38-year-old Bryan Keylon, of Leavenworth, was sentenced Wednesday for burglary. He pleaded guilty to the charge in June.

Keylon admitted breaking into the 54-year-old woman's home in January 2012 and finding the body in a bedroom. He took her purse, then called 911.

Leavenworth County Attorney Todd Thompson said the woman was found to have suffered a massive heart attack, and Keylon had nothing to do with the death.

Keylon first told police he had simply gone to visit the neighbor. But police concluded it was a burglary after they noticed a broken window and a button that matched a coat belonging to Keylon.

Comments

Susan Mangan 2 years, 11 months ago

Really?? I'm not, generally, a supporter of criminals' rights, but this guy could, probably, easily have gotten away. But he called 911 and waited on the scene for responders. I'm just thinking probation might be a little more appropriate in this case. What are they teaching the guy...don't get caught next time? Don't call 911 to report a body? Seriously.

Bladerunner 2 years, 11 months ago

Really? What does his criminal history look like? How can you make such a statement without know any of the facts? Perhaps those in charge took all the facts (that you don't have access to) into consideration.

Susan Mangan 2 years, 11 months ago

Sorry....I didn't realize that there was a new rule on the Journal World forums that required anyone posting to know every fact of every subject they discuss. That should really cut down on the vast majority of posts around here. Good to know.

openminded 2 years, 11 months ago

He took her purse! So calling 911 still was good, but stealing is not.

Susan Mangan 2 years, 11 months ago

I agree. He's still a criminal. But, even if he had commited burglaries before, he stopped and did the right thing this time. I just think that a little leeway for that isn't inappropriate. Probation means you are still a convicted criminal.

I'm really NOT a supporter of criminals. I would be the first person to shoot to kill someone in my house, illegally. But this guy showed a little bit of common sense, compassion, character, whatever you want to call it...and he did a good thing, for whatever reason, at risk to himself (his freedom). I usually want to throw the book at people, but, lacking any other information, I really think probation would have been appropriate for that particular crime. Just my opinion.

parrothead8 2 years, 11 months ago

He "did the right thing" by breaking in and then lying to police about how he found her?

racerx 2 years, 11 months ago

There's a Bryan Lee Keylon in Leavenworth (same age) who is a registered sex offender. If it's the same guy, could be why he got two years.

sugarmagnolia 2 years, 11 months ago

what if his breaking in caused the heart attack?

Jim Johnson 2 years, 11 months ago

I don't know why you folks are so worked up about this because he'll be out on probation in a month or so.

mdfraz 2 years, 11 months ago

Yes, because you get probation after serving one month in prison..... Not how it works. When you get sentenced to prison, you go to prison, you do not get probation. He may earn "good time" in prison, but he's subject to postrelease supervision (essentially parole) and may have to go back for more prison time if he screws that up.

Susan Mangan 2 years, 11 months ago

Thr break-in didn't cause the heart attack and any half-a$$ed coroner could determine that, as long as the victim had been dead for some time prior to the break-in. If he had caused the heart-attack then, by all means, fry him...then you're talking about a death during the commission of a felony, which can qualify as first-degree murder.

Maybe he would've had 10 years, but got 2, instead...I have no idea. If not, I still think two years is harsh.

Susan Mangan 2 years, 11 months ago

And yes...if I feel my life is in danger, I would shoot to kill. But, if I came home and found out that while gone, someone broke in, stole some money, then did my laundry, I'd cut him a little slack. You'd have to be a really angry person not to find a little humor in that. Some people need to relax a little.

progressive_thinker 2 years, 11 months ago

VOR: Glad that you see the benefit in working with non-violent offenders in the community. In general, keeping non violent first offenders out of the system results in better long term outcomes for the community. This fellow, however, is probably not a great example of one to cut any slack.

If you look at the Department of Corrections website at http://www.doc.ks.gov/kasper/ you can see how many times he has been in and out of prison in Kansas. Keywords on his location history to look for are "new court commitment" or "parole violator new sentence." Either of these indicate an admission to the prison system with new offenses.

50YearResident 2 years, 11 months ago

Think about this: The burgler breakes into the house to steal on Monday (or any day), the homeowner wakes up to find him in the house and has a siezure and falls on the floor. The burgler grabs the purse and exits house. 3 days later the neighbor (burgler) on Thursday does not see the homeowner active in the house. So he calls 911 to have them investigate the lack of movement in the home. The 911 people find the woman dead for 3 days. The police determine it was not the fault of the burgler because he claims he entered on Thursday and she was already dead. He gets off with 2 years instead of "Life" because he wasn't the cause of the death. Waiting to call saved him a "Life Sentance".