Archive for Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Motorcyclist injured in crash on Clinton Parkway near Lawrence Avenue

July 24, 2012

A 25-year-old man on a motorcycle was injured Tuesday in a crash on Clinton Parkway after the car in front of him had recently completed a U-turn and was straddling the center line before changing into the lane, police said.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence police spokesman, said officers ticketed the car’s driver, Chun H. Yang, 24, of Lawrence, for improper lane usage and not having valid insurance. Yang was not injured. The crash occurred about 1:30 p.m. in the westbound lane of Clinton Parkway near Lawrence Avenue.

The motorcyclist, Jarell Schroeder, of Inman, suffered abrasions and lacerations when his motorcycle crashed into the back of Yang’s car. Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical workers took Schroeder, who was wearing a helmet and protective eyewear, to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, McKinley said.

Steve Gutierrez, an LMH nursing supervisor, confirmed that Schroeder had been treated and released as of Tuesday night.

Comments

loudmouthrealist 1 year, 9 months ago

To johnsont1

You are incorrect when saying "If you hit the back of someone's car, it's always your fault"

A few years ago I was driving in Lenexa on a road with two lanes going in the same direction with about 10 cars around me. I was the 4th or 5th car in this group when a car behind me started changing lanes and passing cars. Eventually the car behind me passed me on the left side and as soon as it was past my bumper switched to my lane, slammed on the brakes and tried to make a right hand turn. I hit this car square in the back, spun it around so it hit the curb sideways. There was absolutely no way for me to prevent this accident. This individuals car was totaled. Another driver stopped and when the police got there gave their report. The individual was ticketed for a improper lane change and reckless driving and was deemed 100% at fault and his insurance company after receiving the accident report payed for the damages to my car and the towing back to Lawrence.

The improper lane change violation was probably the key to them being at fault.

johnsont1 1 year, 9 months ago

Regardless of the U-turn - which this story does not say was legal or not - if the motorcyclist hit the back of the car, it's the motorcyclist's fault. If the motorcyclist had a defined lane while the car was in the middle, and the car moved into the lane of the motorcyclist and the collision was on the side of the car, then it's the driver's fault. Not sure if the police understand this concept, but the motorcyclist's insurance company definitely will. If you hit the back of someone's car, it's always your fault, so if someone is straddling two lanes.. slow down!!

consumer1 1 year, 9 months ago

Leaving the Harley in the garage until this bad moon passes.

Eybea Opiner 1 year, 9 months ago

I drove by this scene while the ambulance was still there. I'm very thankful that the cyclist seems to be OK. Agree with hipper that the right move would be slow down and get away from the auto driver who apparently has no business being behind the wheel of a car.

hipper_than_hip 1 year, 9 months ago

M/C riders have to assume that all drivers are clueless and ride accordingly; after seeing this guy whip a U then struggling to figure out which lane he wanted to drive in, the proper action would have been to slow down and move away. This type of situation is known as a collision trap and it's up to the rider to take corrective measures to avoid the car.

biggunz 1 year, 9 months ago

I think I might have seen Yang or his brother Ying doing the same thing the other day. Cluelss and no business being behind the wheel.