Archive for Monday, July 23, 2012

Two Lawrence men arrested after altercation at Sixth and Kasold shopping center

July 23, 2012, 12:02 a.m. Updated July 23, 2012, 5:13 p.m.

Douglas County prosecutors Monday charged two Lawrence men who were arrested Sunday afternoon for allegedly confronting and threatening construction workers who were remodeling an adjacent business near Sixth Street and Kasold Drive.

According to court records, prosecutors charged the two suspects with aggravated assault, Ba T. Mai, 40, and Hiep Thanh Nguyen, 34. Mai was also charged with misdemeanor criminal damage to property. Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence police spokesman, said the incident occurred after contractors working inside a suite in the strip mall accidentally broke a water line. The workers had gone to a hardware store to make the fix and had to turn off the water line for the repair.

McKinley said it appeared the water issue affected another business at the shopping center, and while contractors were performing the repair inside the business Mai, who as associated with a nearby business, came inside the area being remodeled and allegedly assaulted or threatened the workers with a claw hammer.

The incident did not have to do with any street construction in the area, the sergeant said.

“One of the suspects was yelling about the water being turned off and that it had to be turned back on because they needed it for their customers,” McKinley said.

A box fan set up inside the business was damaged during the incident, and one suspect, Nguyen, allegedly picked up a two-by-four from inside the work site and “used it in a menacing, threatening fashion,” McKinley said.

Comments

Melanie Birge 2 years, 8 months ago

SHAME on him! What is this world coming too! =( Remember we are all in this TOGETHER!!!!

John Kyle 2 years, 8 months ago

Actually it sounds like the construction workers are the idiots.

JPMAC 2 years, 8 months ago

I’m sure it was an innocent accident. They may have not known the pipe was routed behind the section they were working on. You and I were not there so it is irresponsible to call names. At least they were correcting the problem as fast a they could.

DRsmith 2 years, 8 months ago

No need to name the business. What good does it do to know that and perhaps put people out of work? And what about the incompetent construction workers? or were the people marking lines off incompetent?

DRsmith 2 years, 8 months ago

Did everyone that works there run out with a hammer? Violence is and always will be threatened when you jeapordize someone's livelihood. Not saying it is right, but that is the way it goes. Yes, mistakes happen, but the owners of the businesses should be compensated.

kernal 2 years, 8 months ago

This accident did not "jeapordize" their business. Sounds like perhaps their attitude would have more to do with that than just a few hours without water.

parrothead8 2 years, 8 months ago

Being without water for an hour or two isn't threatening anyone's livelihood, unless their sole business is selling tap water. Also, it's a little ridiculous to claim that violence "is and always will be threatened" when jeopardizing someone's livelihood, because it's just not true. 99.99% of people who lose jobs or whose businesses are threatened for some reason or another don't threaten violence.

otto 2 years, 8 months ago

Or they need water to serve customers and they had losses due to some one elses negligence. Still doesn't justify their aggressive actions.

Lawrenceks 2 years, 8 months ago

Dr.Smith, You re about as bad as the LJWorld is about not printing or wishing to print the names of those arrested. Hopefully that business closes down as nobody will go there now! It is not too hard to figure out which business it was irregardless of you and the LJWorlds wish not to identify them!!

Steve Jacob 2 years, 8 months ago

Look at the booking reports and you can guess the business.

RoeDapple 2 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, we ate there once. Slower than molasses and hateful to boot. Once was one too many.

Lawrenceks 2 years, 8 months ago

Lets list the name of the business! We don't need popel like that in Lawrence, let alone a business that has people working there acting like fool!

jaywalker 2 years, 8 months ago

They busted the line, had to be shut off. And generally there's no time to alert business owners.

dragonfly0221 2 years, 8 months ago

No need to hate on the construction workers.... with this dry weather we have had, no matter how careful you are lines will break. The business owners need to be respectful, everyone has a job to do. Those guys don't want to be there longer now fixing a pipe in addition to what they were there to do in the first place. The heat and dry is bad enough, lets not turn on each other too.

LadyJ 2 years, 8 months ago

Apologizing in advance, but I just can't resist. Just wait until the "assault" charges show up on their water bill, then they'll really be mad.

Ignignokt 2 years, 8 months ago

Not surprised that "business" was involved with this. Very hostile place to eat.

blindrabbit 2 years, 8 months ago

Ate there once, service slow, kinda arrogant attitude by service crew, food was good, was looking forward to a second try, but guess I'll skip on that!

audvisartist 2 years, 8 months ago

Ate there once. Owners treated a cashier like sh*t. Swore I'd never go back.

chrys anthalbee 2 years, 8 months ago

Alien 1: It seems the earthlings won. Alien 2: Did they? That board with a nail in it may have defeated us. But the humans won't stop there. They'll make bigger boards and bigger nails, and soon, they will make a board with a nail so big, it will destroy them all!

Danielle Brunin 2 years, 8 months ago

Ha! That was the first thing that I thought of!

blindrabbit 2 years, 8 months ago

Obviously, owners need an attitude adjustment; maybe a cultural one as well based on all of these blogs. Business success is tenuous and a bad reputation based on poor service, bad products can be a death knell. Hopefully, someone (perhaps friends of the owner) need to do a little refresher course or this location will likely fail.

Mari Aubuchon 2 years, 8 months ago

Way to jump to conclusions people! Do any of you actually know that either of these guys is one of the owners of Thai Siam? The owners are clearly older than 40 and the restaurant is not open on Sundays, so I really doubt that they had any involvement.

kernal 2 years, 8 months ago

How did you determine the owner is older than 40 if you don' t know her?

Mari Aubuchon 2 years, 8 months ago

I've been to this restaurant more than once and I have eyes?!

Mari Aubuchon 2 years, 8 months ago

I looked up Thai Siam in the Kansas Business Registry and it is owned by MONRUDEE SRISUTIVA.

I have no particular interest in this restaurant or the owners, but I hate to see people get slandered and lose business because of it.

John Hamm 2 years, 8 months ago

I wanna know more about the need to turn off the water! Why did the construction workers cause a break in the line? Anybody hear of "call before you dig?" If they're going to be working on water lines the correct thing to do is to notify businesses and residences in the area of the work and that water service may be disrupted - giving them to prepare for that likelyhood. Also we don't know the manner of approach, what the workers said, etc.............

Richard Payton 2 years, 8 months ago

Sometimes even after calling "call before you dig" breaks happen. Sometimes the locator service has the lines marked in the wrong location. Sometimes some lines are so old they are not even in the data base etc...

kernal 2 years, 8 months ago

It was an accident. A.C.C.I.D.E.N.T.. They will happen when you have workers working in this ridiculous heat day after day.

JackKats 2 years, 8 months ago

Maybe it was the owners of the Nail Salon.

JackKats 2 years, 8 months ago

That would explain the weapon of choice.

otto 2 years, 8 months ago

Another Japanese reataurant in tht strip mall too -- Thai Siam is closed on Sundays.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 8 months ago

"I would not want to go to a nail salon that uses hammers."

You're such a princess sometimes. :)

Liberty275 2 years, 8 months ago

"A nail salon has two dudes working there with a hammer? wow."

A hammer is the only way a real man will change the color of his nails.

Lisa Medsker 2 years, 8 months ago

ROFLMAO @ "...lost their Ramen noodle"!

JackMcKee 2 years, 8 months ago

True story. I once went to Thai Siam and ordered about $20 of food. I just wanted a water so that's all I ordered. Accidentally, I pushed on the Sprite button. The husband started yelling "you pay for that pop!!!!!!!" It was an accident and it was like two drops of Sprite. I never went back.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 8 months ago

True story: Last February, I went into Thai Siam and ordered one of the noodle dishes with chicken. Last Wednesday, they called me to let me know that my order was ready.

Danielle Brunin 2 years, 8 months ago

I got fruit punch runoff in one of their water glasses since it was the same button and I thought they were going to tackle me. They didn't say anything though. Of course, I became violently ill shortly after eating their food... Nah, I'm just kidding. That last part didn't happen, but I did think they might try to kill me. :)

lunacydetector 2 years, 8 months ago

It did not happen at Thai Siam people. I eat there 3 times a week. They are closed on Sunday as someone else pointed out. The food is fantastic!

hail2oldku 2 years, 8 months ago

The food is fantastic and the owners are wonderful people.

Some of you folks just like to get on here and stir $#it.

JackMcKee 2 years, 8 months ago

They are wonderful at keeping an exact inventory on every drop of soda that is in their machine, that's for sure.

Crystal Patterson 2 years, 8 months ago

There food is fantastic, but I rarely ever go there because they are so slow, even calling ahead is not an option because they won't start the food until you get there to pick it up. Every time I go, I wait for at least a half an hour for carryout. Once I was so hungry that I went over to Jimmy Johns and ate a sandwich while I waited, then went to Astro's and had a beer, then back to Thai Siam and still waited for another 15 minutes. Delicious, but they would have a lot better business if they would speed up a notch (or 20).

IgnorantYokel 2 years, 8 months ago

I have it on good authority that the suspected were a Walgreens employee and a Wendy's employee who conspired with an 11 year-old boy running a lemonade stand at a residence behind Westlake hardware. The three, having previously watched the movie Tank Girl while snorting bath salts, became convinced the loss of water was a large-scale plot to deprive Lawrence of lemonade, salt-water taffy and Baconators. The child in his haste to retrieve lemons to freshly squeeze into the eyes of the identified agents of the plot evaded capture and remains at large on his skateboard. Police are warning all residents and box fans not to approach the suspected boy for fear that he'll use his skateboard, or some similarly-sized blunt object, as a weapon. Police also report that the boy's lemonade is delicious.

ironhead80 2 years, 8 months ago

I just don't see two asian guy's all of the sudden attacking these workers. The construction workers must have dissed them in some way. Must have been MEXICANS! JUST KIDDING!!

ironhead80 2 years, 8 months ago

Must be a communications problem. I'm surprised the article didn't list the names of the guy's who were attacked. Must be MEXICAN! OK! I'LL STOP!

ironhead80 2 years, 8 months ago

MUST BE IRISH?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MEXICAN!

jonnyboy 2 years, 8 months ago

Thai Siam is a great restaurant and we feel like we're in a Saturday Night Live episode every time we go! It's one of the few quirky restaurants Lawrence has!!! So don't go putting out bad information when you don't know what you're talking about. As for the Sprite guy, get over it!

It's hot outside. Everyone is cranky!!

JackMcKee 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm not the only one that's happened to, methinks it's a problem with the owners attitude toward customers. I've never had anything like that happen at any of the 1000s of restaurants I've visited across the planet.

John Kyle 2 years, 8 months ago

so you order water and 'accidentally' get sprite in 1000's of restaurants?

JackMcKee 2 years, 8 months ago

Yes, exactly. And what I've observed from 1000s of restaurants with self service soda machines is that at almost every one, refills are free and nobody watches to make sure nobody spills a drop of precious Sprite. Places that charge for refills of soda or guard the machine like its full of treasure are without question owned and operated by some of the cheapest people that walk the face of the planet. I find that attitude toward customers to be disrespectful and I don't appreciate a 5'2" 120 lb man screaming at me for spilling two grams of his Sprite. Those two grams of Sprite were pretty costly for the Srivastavas. I'd guess there is about $2,000 in business they've lost from me. It's no wonder that place struggles.

2 years, 8 months ago

cc says bottled water is available fools

Longhornlaw 2 years, 8 months ago

What about the steak house in the corner, a nail salon uses very little water,only if they are using a machine for there feet, lets use are brain people!

Keith_Bryant 2 years, 8 months ago

Another fine thread that exemplifies why LJWorld should abandon allowing anonymous posts on their website. How much speculation-bordering, or clearly crossing the libelous line, can one "news" source put up with?

JackMcKee 2 years, 8 months ago

Your post is defaming the good character of the people who justifiably aired their grievances.