Archive for Monday, July 23, 2012

Kansas Congressional candidate changes name to Thomas Jefferson

July 23, 2012

— The Libertarian candidate for a Congressional seat in Kansas has changed his name to Thomas Jefferson.

The U.S. House of Representatives candidate formerly known as Jack Talbert is seeking to unseat Mike Pompeo, R-Wichita, in Kansas' 4th District. Pompeo also faces two Democratic opponents, Esau Freeman and Robert Tillman.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that Talbert changed his name to Thomas Jefferson recently as a way to pay tribute to his idol and possibly win some votes.

He says when people see the name on the ballot it will make them think about the founding fathers and "whether we have that form of government still."

The Kansas Libertarian Party supports Jefferson's name change, and says it included legal documents proving the switch when it filed his candidacy with the state.

Comments

Agnostick 1 year, 9 months ago

When I opened this page up, I half-expected to read about a nearby "Jeffersonian Democrat" who was making some feeble attempt at a retroactive candidacy. Just makes me wanna groan again.

Orwell 1 year, 9 months ago

I'd go with the name of my political mentor: Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim bus stop F'tang F'tang Olé Biscuitbarrel.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 9 months ago

I think I will call myself Taras Bulba.

mikekt 1 year, 9 months ago

none of the above or anyone else !

Wiry 1 year, 9 months ago

Romeo or Juliet. Hard decision.

Boston_Corbett 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm going for Mother Teresa.....or Chevy Chase. Just can't decide.

classclown 1 year, 9 months ago

blue73harley

A good OTS question for tomorrow - if you could rename yourself after a famous dead guy, who would it be?

====================================================

John Holmes

mikekt 1 year, 9 months ago

Brownie, the robot from Koch Industries & "oppressor of the poor & the ill", calls himself a Christian, so why shouldn't some other person running for office, misidentify themselves as someone that they weren't named as, at birth,........ such as calling themselves Thomas Jefferson ?

We'll buy anything in the USA ! We are a nation of rabid consumers of....... whatever ?!

If you'd like a job where you can misidentify yourself, make public promises that you know that you'll never keep, to others, to live the life of a "wolf in sheeps' clothing" or to be surrounded by others who have all of the above down pat & made into an art form,... then become a politician, in Kansas or the USA !!!!

Heard that the Real Thomas Jefferson had created his own bible, that only contained the teachings of Christ, that were direct quotes from the Gospels ?

If true, then he was one of the few who got it, that the Old & New Testaments were two different books / teachings..... & that the people who came later to make Christianity a religion, were simply others who came later..... with a different unique view point than the Disciples.

Although some might feel that those that came later, were magically inspired by an divine (?) hand ......& thus as valid as the disciples quotes.

Take your pick ?!

The next world wide religious war will start in ? years, ? days, ? minutes from now,..... if we don't all get wiped out first by an asteroid, like the T-Rexs that we replaced !

irnmadn88 1 year, 9 months ago

Saw that movie. Eddie Murphy in The Distinguished Gentleman.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 9 months ago

Mortimer Snerd. Or maybe Nick Danger (third eye.)

blue73harley 1 year, 9 months ago

I'd probably go with Sid Vicious.

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm gonna gets me a phony BC, have my school records sealed, promise everybody everything and change my name to Bar . . . . no, the country fell for that ruse once. Surely they have wised up since . . .

;-)

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 9 months ago

Okay, I'm changing my name to Gabriel Tootshisownhorn. Woot! Woot!

hyperinflate 1 year, 9 months ago

I'd change my name to Satan McJesuskiller if I thought it would help me to unseat Mike Pompeo. He's gotta go. Good luck, Tommy Boy. Those Wichita folks are some dim bulbs, but I don't think they's gonna bite.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 9 months ago

You can sit in a tree and hoot. That doesn't make you an owl.

beatrice 1 year, 9 months ago

Upon hearing the news, Sven thought, "Why didn't I think of that?"

parrothead8 1 year, 9 months ago

At least this ensures he'll never appear in a Texas public school textbook.

observant 1 year, 9 months ago

Talk about apealing to ignorant voters.

Phil Minkin 1 year, 9 months ago

His mistress changed her name to Sally Hemmings

irvan moore 1 year, 9 months ago

do you have to have as much id to run as you do to vote

tomatogrower 1 year, 9 months ago

Well, okay. The only time I've ever gone to a horse race, I picked a horse because of it's name, but I'm real sure I wouldn't pick a politician that way.

riverdrifter 1 year, 9 months ago

Ochocinco is available again thanks to Chad Johnson.