Archive for Thursday, July 19, 2012

Storms cause overnight power outages in Lawrence

Westar restores power to many Thursday morning

July 19, 2012, 2:28 a.m. Updated July 19, 2012, 2:51 p.m.

A storm system that moved through the area caused more than 3,500 Westar Energy customers to lose power in Douglas County early Thursday morning.

The outages were scattered across Lawrence, and began at around 1 a.m., said Erin La Row, Westar Energy spokeswoman.

The lightning and trees falling on power lines were to blame for the outages, La Row said, and crews have been working to restore power.

As of 2:45 p.m. Thursday, the number of outages had been cut down to 33 customers in Douglas County.

Areas in western Johnson County near De Soto were also affected by outages, as were scattered sites in Jefferson County, but power had been restored to those areas by Thursday afternoon.

Despite heavy lightning, no warnings were issued by the National Weather Service in Topeka.

Here's the link to the outage map in Lawrence.

We'll keep monitoring.

Here's the link to the National Weather Service radar: http://1.usa.gov/NHQD3C.

Comments

love2bike 1 year, 9 months ago

Not sure why we have to report power outages. They have implemented this "smart meter" program which is supposed to be sending usage rates to Westar (which we can use to monitor our own usage). If I can monitor my usage over the internet, why can't they detect when service is out to neighborhoods and individual customers? Seems that they should be using this technology we are paying for to respond to power outages, not relying on customers to report outages.

mikekt 1 year, 9 months ago

My electricity went quickly off & on, just before a lightening strike near by, that took it off for good ( or ill ), literally, a second later.

Called their answering machine in the dark, that told me at a fast pace "once", to call another phone number & machine. Kind of hard to catch that number,..... unexpectedly, in the dark., before the machine disconnects you abruptly without asking you if you want a repeat on the number!

The second machine thought that i was "a little slow" at giving it my phone number,....i always talk slowly & distinctly, ....to machines.... & my voice isn't digital.......so it told me to call the first machine back, at the first number because it didn't get my number ( fast enough ) !

I refused, calling the second machine back in the dark, a second time and gave it my phone number forcefully, at a faster pace. It got punk'd !

It responded by telling me, that the power was out in a large area due to some vague mechanical problems........what?.......the machines refused to work?.........can they be psychoanalyzed or fired ?...............and it said that the power would be back on at three AM.

It came back on after daybreak, when i woke about 7 something, being a light sensitive sleeper, to lights & wonderful A/C running....... & counted my blessings for sleeping thru it most of it & waking up to livable 76 degrees in the bedroom !

But this stuff about having to dial two numbers, in the dark, is crazy!

Being told during that second number to call, only once, quickly, before the first machine disconnects! Yea, ....RIGHT?!

Who did their phone system?...... 3M ?!

Why can't you just hit a button & be forwarded ?! because that would be "too easy" ?! because customers don't deserve that assistance if they are calling in the dark at night?!

gatekeeper 1 year, 9 months ago

Heck, I actually had Pedro at Westar today tell me to "give them a break". By 9:00 am when the power had been out for 8 hours, called their customer service because I have an elderly neighbor with major health problems and an infant day care provider who's homes were getting too hot for them. They told me to load up the "old guy" and take him to a hospital, it wasn't Westar fault. Once crews FINALLY made it to my neighborhood, only took them 1/2 hour to fix the downed lines causing the problem.

Before living in Lawrence, I never experienced the amount of outages I've experienced with Westar. Do they just not maintain equipment and lines?

I can understand being patient when it's 60 degrees outside, but on a day when it's going to reach 105+, they need all crews working fast and furious to get the power on. Someone like me in their 40's can survive without the AC, but not infants and the elderly.

HutchSaltHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Did I mention that they were parked in front of my house at 8 am and assured me it will be on by noon? Talked to a supervisor (Bobbie) in their customer service department and she tells me that they move the crews to different areas to get the most folks restored. So if they are in your area and sitting in front of your house and don't get you on the grid, you are "out of luck".

HutchSaltHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

4 o'clock and still no power.....calling Westar to see where I can stay tonight. This is Baloney Sir! My neighborhood is always the last to get service restored - everytime we have a power outage, I can guarantee that I am cleaning out my refrigerator.

beezee 1 year, 9 months ago

Westar probably THINKS it will fix all BY Friday. That's about the level of "service" those jackasses deliver. I feel sorry for the linemen who have to deal with the results of utterly inept management. My alley in East Lawrence has a major line in it and it is completely overgrown with trees that when wet/windy slap wet leaves against a transformer. I have told the Westar imbeciles about this several times, but I may as well go yell down a sewer.

I hope the KCC gets a LOT of mail vilifying Westar's service-- when they (Westar) next seek a rate hike they should be told to go .... well never mind; I'll assume this is a family web site. Westar ought to have the motto "FUBAR- and proud of it." Management has no clue what preventive maintenance is.

none2 1 year, 9 months ago

The subtitle is wrong:

"Storms cause overnight power outages in Lawrence Westar restores power to many Friday morning

This is Thursday -- not Friday.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 9 months ago

I heard two very large "booms" that seemed to come from somewhere around Mass, close to the river.

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 9 months ago

You can be sure The cause was NOT a fallen tree- they've already cut all of those down in Lawrence.