Archive for Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Woman reports finding man in house early Sunday

July 17, 2012, 12:07 a.m. Updated July 17, 2012, 12:04 p.m.

A woman reported to Lawrence police early Sunday she awoke to finding a man inside her house in the 3900 block of West 10th Place.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a police spokesman, said the woman heard footsteps inside her home at 4:45 a.m. and later encountered a man carrying a flashlight inside. The suspect fled on foot, and the woman reported about $1,900 worth of cash and electronics was taken.

Police believe the suspect entered the house through an open garage door, and officers do not have a detailed description of the suspect.

McKinley said police received another aggravated burglary report Monday morning in the 1000 block of Congressional Court. It occurred overnight last Wednesday as the suspect took the victim’s wallet that was left inside an unlocked vehicle in an attached garage. That garage door was also open, he said.

An earlier version of this story incorrectly listed the block of the crime based on information from police.

Comments

whatever95 2 years, 5 months ago

People - REALLY? Shut your garage doors, lock your house & cars! pfhttttt

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 5 months ago

So, we have thieves who are driving around at night looking for an opportunity to steal? That sounds very strange to me.
People do get tired and have really bad headaches and simply forget. Most have done that at one time.
I bet she bought something at a drive though, put the wallet down on the seat and forgot. Nine out of ten times nothing would have come of it.

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 5 months ago

Luckily, No one was hurt. Sounds like a sneak thief is prowling.Thank goodness it wasn't a more violent person. Lock your doors and windows. Turn on all your outside lights. Hate to say it but we don't live in a society where you can leave your home or vehicle unlocked anymore.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Not just at night frankie8. In the rural area I live in they are at it 24/7. A few days ago I was looking out my front door when a pick-up stopped, the driver jumped out and loaded my trash barrel in the back and he drove away. (90's Dodge, white (the truck and the driver), noisy muffler). Scrap metal must be up.

Others I know of but cannot discuss.

50YearResident 2 years, 5 months ago

I bet as soon as someone shoots a middle of the night home invader that these home invasions will abruptly end.

acg 2 years, 5 months ago

Or, the middle of the night home invaders will start carrying guns, too, so that they can shoot back if a trigger happy home owner starts shooting at them. Most people that will break into a house to steal are on dope. Dope makes you do stupid things, like steal, abuse/neglect your kids or shoot someone during a robbery attempt, etc.

Topple 2 years, 5 months ago

I doubt people on dope watch the news or read LJWorld.