Archive for Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Record numbers apply for concealed carry licenses

July 17, 2012

— A record number of people applied to carry concealed weapons in Kansas during the last fiscal year.

Attorney General Derek Schmidt says more than 12,408 people sought a Kansas license to carry a concealed firearm during the fiscal year that ended June 30.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that's a 24 percent increase over the approximately 9,400 applicants for concealed weapons in fiscal year 2011. The concealed carry program in Kansas began in 2006.

The attorney general also says the number of first-time permit applications his agency received averaged 49 each work day and didn't' include applications for renewal of existing permits.

There are more than 44,000 existing concealed weapons permits that have been issued in Kansas.

Comments

infidel 2 years, 3 months ago

I would assume that would have a lot to do with the recent ruling that if you have a CCL, you no longer have to be verified through the ATF's system before you purchase a gun.

None the less I am sure there will lively comments on this as there always is for anything relating to guns.

Charles L Bloss Jr 2 years, 3 months ago

We had better hope we can still even have concealed carry if Obama gets re-elected.

BlackVelvet 2 years, 3 months ago

Because the treaty he's trying to get the US to agree to with the UN can have a definite impact on private firearms ownership.

littlexav 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm glad to see that you've been woefully misinformed. A) the Constitution trumps treaties, hands down, every time. B) the treaty is for international arms sales, e.g. selling automatic assault rifles to foreign states.

Facts matter, buddy.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 3 months ago

They aren't 'gun nuts' per se, but more likely NRA members. I cannot believe the amount of anti-Obama B.S. the NRA has been pushing down everyone's throat over the last few years.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 3 months ago

This NRA stuff drives me crazy. I am a member of the NRA, because I support their core goal to protect the second amendment. However, the last couple months have just been Obama bashing, and it's really annoying. It's fear mongering, nothing more, nothing less.There are plenty of moderate NRA members, and this campaign makes me feels more like the NRA is a conservative republican group rather than just a second amendment group.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm an NRA life time endowment member for the same reason you are--protect the 2nd. I don't agree with much of what they've been spewing and I hope they're wrong in their assertions.

chootspa 2 years, 3 months ago

The NRA used to be a good group. It's a shame they've twisted their mission.

Mike1949 2 years, 3 months ago

I am willing to bet that they are fox news watchers. If they can't find the truth, or better yet they will ignore the truth, and broadcast lies and hype to backup their racist propaganda!

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

You would be wrong . . . of course.

BitterClinger 2 years, 3 months ago

As you seem to get all your news from MSNBC (now just NBC) and other MSM outlets I guess you don't know about Fast & Furious.

chootspa 2 years, 3 months ago

Because that restricted our rights to purchase guns again, how? Oh right. An incompetent sting on straw purchasers is intentionally part of some plot blah blah blah fox news vomit blah.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 3 months ago

Romney's record on guns is no better, if not worse, than Obama's.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 3 months ago

Whoops, didn't see vertigo's post until after I posted. He much more eloquently said what I meant.

hipper_than_hip 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm having trouble remembering the number of CCH applications from Douglas County over the past six years but it's pretty low; I want to say it's only 800 applications or so.

mdlund0 2 years, 3 months ago

1044 applications in Douglas Co., as of 03/16/2012.

mdlund0 2 years, 3 months ago

Johnson Co. (7893), Sedgwick Co. (9549), Shawnee Co. (3350), Wyandotte Co. (1957), Butler Co. (1949), and Leavenworth Co. (1848) lead the race and have had more applications than Douglas Co.

mdlund0 2 years, 3 months ago

Of course, those are applications, not approvals. Some small fraction of applications get rejected for one reason or another, and some licenses have expired or been revoked (usually for people moving out of state) in that time.

notorious_agenda 2 years, 3 months ago

If I wanted to apply for CCA I'd go to Cabela's or Bass Pro. They have more availability for classes, and they have a large inventory of guns, and they just happen to be in Johnson County, go figure.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Did Cabela's move to Johnson county in the last 24 hours? If so. I'm impressed! I was just there yesterday, Wyandotte county, up east of the race track on 24 highway.

BlackVelvet 2 years, 3 months ago

not paranoid nutcases. people who wish to be prepared and tend to be self sufficient, instead of nursing on the federal government nipple.

grammaddy 2 years, 3 months ago

Being self-sufficient requires a gun?

mdlund0 2 years, 3 months ago

Maybe... depends on where you live and what you do. Just because you can't envision a use for a gun outside of what you've seen in gangster movies doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

chootspa 2 years, 3 months ago

If you want to shoot some food and see up from the ground some bubbling crude, it does.

Topple 2 years, 3 months ago

Hopefully if you're ever in a situation like the Omaha mall shooting back in 2007 there will be some "paranoid nutcase" there to save your life, cause the police won't be until it's all over.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

Why, look at all the Wild West shootouts in Douglas County between concealed carry license holders in the last year! Oh, wait, that appears not to have happened. Never mind..... (from a licensed source)

1029 2 years, 3 months ago

Uh....have you ever carried a gun? It feels AWESOME! It can make a person feel so cool and powerful that I'm not at all surprised by these numbers. With such rough times and so many things that can make us feel small and insignificant--low-paying jobs, the mexican invasion, the war on religion, etc--holding a gun can be a real boost to self-esteem. I sure do wish that some of the elitist bullies from my past would try to bully me now!

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

You're not so good at recognizing sarcasm, are you?

mdlund0 2 years, 3 months ago

Wait... what? You mean they haven't even drafted the language of the treaty that the president needs to sign so that 2/3 of the senate can ratify it before both houses of congress adopt and pass laws restricting gun rights to conform with said treaty that the president would still need to sign to become effective? Seems like an awful long way between here and there for this to be "one of the most serious threats to American gun owners in decades." Don't let the NRA paranoia get ya down...

Keith 2 years, 3 months ago

Wayne LaPierre really has your number doesn't he. He's gotten very rich gulling the rubes.

SnakeFist 2 years, 3 months ago

You really should think about these things - and actually read the Supremacy Clause - before you accept them as fact and repeat them. The Supremacy Clause simply stands for the notion that federal law trumps state law, it does not say or even suggest that treaties trump the federal Constitution. Think about it: Why would the Framers make amending the Constitution so difficult and then allow a mere treaty to override it? Why would anyone go through the onerous process of amending the Constitution if they could much more easily accomplish the same goal through a treaty with some other amenable government?

So, simply stated, any treaty or other federal or state law that violates the federal Constitution is invalid because the government has no authority to enact such a treaty or law. The federal Constitution is the highest legal authority.

tomatogrower 2 years, 3 months ago

rockchalk, the UN does not supersede the government of countries. And as was pointed out above, a treaty would have to be ratified by two thirds of the senate. That is never going to happen. Please take your meds.

oldvet 2 years, 3 months ago

Or Obummer will simply refuse to be bound by the laws of the US... like his decision and instructions to not enforce immigration laws on the books...

tbaker 2 years, 3 months ago

When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.

Good point about the looming UN treaty. Dingey Harry and a bunch of sore loser lame duck statist liberal senators would jump at a chance to vote for this one-world tyranny.

John Kyle 2 years, 3 months ago

Over 12,000 applied for concealed weapons. I didn't realize there were that many cowards in Kansas.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 3 months ago

Gun control = hitting what you aim at.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 3 months ago

For those with bad eyes, the sign reads: My next door neighbor wants to ban all guns. Their house is not armed. Out of respect for their opinions I promise not to use my guns to protect them.

Hey neighbor!

Hey neighbor! by Crazy_Larry

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

Well, I don't know about cowardice, but I have to question your thinking people stupid for not carrying. People who carry guns are more than four times more likely to be shot and killed by a gun than people who do not. So perhaps not carrying isn't so stupid after all: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17922-carrying-a-gun-increases-risk-of-getting-shot-and-killed.html

DillonBarnes 2 years, 3 months ago

It has been said many times before, but that study includes all the gang activity and criminal activity. They are making a causation error, assuming that having the gun makes you more likely to be shot. In reality, it's the gang and crime culture that puts you a higher risk of being shot, because they are at a higher risk, many choose to carry themselves. The actual rates for legal gun owners is much lower.

I don't think you're stupid for not carrying a gun, that's your choice and I respect it. I just want to make sure you don't infringe on my choice to carry a gun.

mdlund0 2 years, 3 months ago

The odds that something bad will happen and that you will need a gun to protect yourself are indeed low. An improbable event is, unfortunately, not an impossible event. Am I also a paranoid coward for having a fire extinguisher on each floor? I've never needed to use one, and I probably never will... but I still have them just in case.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 3 months ago

Roughly 16,272 murders were committed in the United States during 2008. Of these, about 10,886 or 67% were committed with firearms. A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 0.5% of households had members who had used a gun for defense during a situation in which they thought someone "almost certainly would have been killed" if they "had not used a gun for protection." Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 162,000 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all "military service, police work, or work as a security guard."

Based on survey data from the U.S. Department of Justice, roughly 5,340,000 violent crimes were committed in the United States during 2008. These include simple/aggravated assaults, robberies, sexual assaults, rapes, and murders. Of these, about 436,000 or 8% were committed by offenders visibly armed with a gun.

Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology, U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.

mdlund0 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm afraid I'm not sure what your point is.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 3 months ago

There are a million reasons for law abiding citizens to want to have a gun handy--gun owners are not paranoid or cowards.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Guess I'm gonna have to dust off my paperwork and send it in . . . gee, I don't feel like a coward.

tomatogrower 2 years, 3 months ago

I got one to protect myself from the gun nuts.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

"Gun nuts" - In my book that's the folks that don't like 'em. I prefer "Weapons enthusiast" for myself

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

I prefer calling it the Affordable Care Act, yet for some reason people keep calling it "Obamacare." Guess you don't always get to name what names people use.

Besides, "weapons enthusaist" is a little too PC, don't ya think?

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Always appreciate your opinion bea! That health care thing? Time will tell, but I call it (Un)affordable Care.

tomatogrower 2 years, 3 months ago

Ok, I have guns and a concealed carry permit, because of the over paranoid gun enthusiasts who think everyone is trying to take their gun rights away from them, and actually make veiled threats towards anyone who does not agree with them, including forcefully overthrowing legally elected governments. Does that make you right wing PC people feel better about yourselves? http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/dallas/headlines/20101021-GOP-congressional-candidate-Stephen-Broden-says-7895.ece

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Wow tg! Kinda over the top there. Gonna give us weapons enthusiasts a bad name . . .

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 3 months ago

Not really. Bringing abortion into the debate is pretty sick.

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

Well DIST, is it really worth while to ask for a little respect by turning around and insulting others? Just saying ...

Joe Hyde 2 years, 3 months ago

It would add something the social discourse if the Attorney General's office released a statistical breakdown on the firearm types being carried. By that I mean, which calibers are most being selected by permit holders; which makes/models are most often selected?

And I've never asked anyone if the state is doing this: Restrict the permit holder to carrying only those weapons that have been processed and registered with the AG's office. All such weapons required to fire specimen slugs into a water tank, for barrel groove pattern identification, and also have expended rounds collected to obtain firing pin impressions, all of this for possible future crime forensics analysis. The permit holder afterward would be required to carry only the pre-identified weapon(s) but no other under penalty.

Such an evidence collection system would allow for storing in computer memory the critical identificating features of all concealed weapons so registered. Among other benefits, doing this would go a long way toward determining the facts in cases involving all shootings -- perhaps helping immediately clear a permit holder wrongly accused of illegally using the weapon.

KSWingman 2 years, 3 months ago

The AG's Office does not keep statistics on "type of firearm", but 100% of lawfully concealed firearms are handguns. The Kansas license does not limit a license holder to a particular weapon. A license holder may carry any handgun.

If a license holder is involved in a shooting, the weapon(s) involved are taken into evidence and ballistic comparison to recovered bullets is made. There would be no value to the manpower-intensive and expensive system you described.

For more information, go to: http://ag.ks.gov/public-safety/concealedcarry

DillonBarnes 2 years, 3 months ago

Two problems with that: 1) A majority of firearm crimes are committed with stolen or illegal guns. The information collected would be pretty useless since concealed carriers are much less likely to actually commit a crime. Essentially you would create a costly AG department to man stations all over the state to do this and analyze it, and the entire system would be nearly useless.

2) I am no forensic scientist, but I don't think the marks left on a bullet by the rifling is as unique as a fingerprint. Not to mention that the barrel characteristics are going to change as you shoot and clean the gun. Maybe it can be used to confirm a weapon shortly after it has fired a round, but it's not like you can match the first bullet fired from the gun with the barrel after 10,000 rounds have gone through it. As for the firing pin, they are definitely not unique to each gun. There is the whole idea of micro-stamping, but that idea has many problems with it by itself, and is not generally available (to my knowledge). Again, not a forensic scientist, but as a gun owner, those are my educated guesses.

pizzapete 2 years, 3 months ago

I've been meaning to get my application in, thanks for the reminder.

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 3 months ago

It doesn't take much to bring out the gun haters.

I definitely feel the politization of this issue is a threat to our liberty. Absolutely.

Sometimes the NRA goes too far. It could hurt us.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 3 months ago

I love the "drive by insult" posters. Get on, post some insult like "coward" or "paranoid" then run and hide and not respond to other posters. I'm always happy to have a real conversation on concealed carry, so feel free to respond or message me if you want to have an honest conversation with a concealed carrier.

mdlund0 2 years, 3 months ago

+1. (I for one, particularly like using the fire extinguisher analogy - I have one of those too... am I paranoid or a coward? I'll probably never need it...)

BlackVelvet 2 years, 3 months ago

Here's an idea. All those who don't want to carry a firearm, don't. Period. Now, was that so hard?

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

Regarding the proposed keeping of sample fired rounds from each handgun: it takes less than a minute to change the barrel of a 1911 or a Glock. Zip, pop, new ballistic signature.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

The complete slide for that matter. End up with a different pattern on the bullet, on the primer, where the slide meets the back of the brass case. . . Hell you could even get a slide and clip in another caliber! WAIT! What am I doing, feeding their frenzy??!!

BTW, same with many shotguns and some rifles. That oughta short out a few of their brain cells.

mdlund0 2 years, 3 months ago

Serial number is stamped on the barrel, definitely for the Glock, and I'm pretty sure for the 1911and everything else as well. Yea, it's a quick change out, but the ballistic signature follows the serial no.

Dan Eyler 2 years, 3 months ago

I finished my class a month ago and loved it. Very informative and covers in detail the issues that will get you in big trouble such as the event in Florida. But the single most impressive statement by my instructor was to avoid trouble and be aware. Because at times you may be armed you need to be especially careful to be alert and move away from situations that could cause you to have to use your weapon. But as a last resort, pull your weapon, breath, aim, fire. Don't pull your weapon unless you have every intent to use it. If you pull your weapon and don't use it you violated a serious rules in the CC handbook. The gun is not for threatening people it is to eliminate a deadly threat that's it. I can live with that!

mom_of_three 2 years, 3 months ago

very informative post. Move away from problems, and gun is the last resort. I dont get that attitude from reading some posts, although that is probably not the intention.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 3 months ago

That is something that can get lost in this arguments. Since the discussion usually just revolves around if guns are "good" or "bad," sometimes the practical application of concealed carrying gets lost. I can tell you I'm much more hesitant to get involved into any kind of confrontation now that I carry a firearm (not that I was any kind of instigator before). As an example, I refrain from honking my car horn at anyone out of anger, you never know if that person will just snap and come at you, and I don't want to even give a hint that I in any way instigated that confrontation. I'm extremely diligent about avoiding any situation that would require the use of a firearm. Carrying does not give me any sense of power.

If you don't take my word for it, just look at then number of concealed carrying shootings that take place in Kansas (outside the home). Very few; so with thousands of concealed carriers out there, and almost zero actual shootings, there isn't much to worry about.

Edit: I forgot to mention that there are probably many instances where a firearm is used in self defense without firing a shot. Many of these instances go unreported, I imagine because they worry about the hassle of a police report and fear that they would loose their firearm for some reason. My point is that many concealed carriers can even show restraint in a dangerous situation to not respond to a situation with lethal force.

somedude20 2 years, 3 months ago

Go ahead, make my day, I took a class....

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

I hope you and your daughter are already armed and don't have to depend on a third party.

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

And to think, Bush appointed Roberts and Obama voted against it.

As the old saying goes, be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it.

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

Guns don't kill people, but they make it simple to kill people.

somedude20 2 years, 3 months ago

Drunk redneck wannabe cowboys will do just what this fool did: "The unfortunate fella told cops that he bought the gun in Kansas and planned on selling it in a convenience store parking in the city. Before arriving at his destination, Colbert pulled over into a parking lot to check if the gun was working properly. It was. As Colbert, 36, pulled it out of the case, he accidentally squeezed the trigger and pop himself dead smack in the Johnson"

Sounds about right. I have ZERO problems with guns, it is the people who use them that muck things up

DillonBarnes 2 years, 3 months ago

I believe your opinion of gun owners is not based in reality but rather on some stereotypical assumptions that you cannot back up. You have extremely strong feelings about gun owners, but you have yet to actually explain WHY that is, and I'm not sure you even know. Care to clarify?

DillonBarnes 2 years, 3 months ago

Thank you for the candid response. It would be completely understandable if you didn't want anything to do with guns after witnessing a horrific incident like that. That being said, it's hardly fair to judge 4.3 million people based on this one individual's actions.

Now help me understand where you draw the line. You have a loaded 38 ( I assume for home protection), but carrying it outside constitutes paranoia?

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

In under-reported news, millions of American gun owners had an uneventful day yesterday. Tens of thousands of Americans legally and safely carried concealed firearms. Abuse does not negate use.

somedude20 2 years, 3 months ago

Don't kid yourself Snapple, there were deaths from guns yesterday and the day before and so on. What I find funny, (not really) is the theory of voter fraud causes a rerouting of the system (that makes it harder for people to vote) but a knowledge of legal gun owners who abuse the system (murdering others, selling them illegally) but no one dares to mess with that

DillonBarnes 2 years, 3 months ago

Are you saying that all gun owners support Kobach's immigration debacle and are also christian? Wow, I guess I need to reevaluate my values. Here I thought I was an atheist, who believe these voter ID laws are a total waste of money while also an attempt to suppress voters but at the same time I am a proponent of the second amendment.

Don't drag me into your baseless stereotypical notions. It's not my fault you are unable to grow past these stereotypes and have an intelligent conversation.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 3 months ago

There was an obvious implication of that comic. Even if we say the Christian thing wasn't involved, your first argument makes no sense though. Are you saying no one cares about murders?

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

It was really hot yesterday. How hot was it? It was so hot that Eric Holder was smuggling water pistols. (from a Jay Leno source, IIRC)

Devon Kissinger 2 years, 3 months ago

"Sounds about right. I have ZERO problems with guns, it is the people who MISuse them that muck things up"

There, fixed it for you somedude20

Centerville 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm assuming that a lot of people aren't bothering with the permit (which may turn out to be registration in disguise) and getting trained and armed without inviting the bureaucracy. The ammo market has grown at a much higher rate than the permit app rate.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

I watched my friend, Gus, practice shooting. He had a 100% accuracy rate because he shot first, then named whatever he hit as the target.

oldbaldguy 2 years, 3 months ago

I have a concealed carry permit. I have yet to use it walking around strapped with heat. I do carry a weapon in my vehicle sometimes on long trips. I always check to make sure I am in compliance with state law I am passing through. When hiking I carry a weapon in a pack if it is legal to do so. Usually with snake shot loaded in the first chamber. Not a member of the NRA. I don't like Romney and have doubts about the President. I have been around firearms all my life. The training for concealed carry could be improved, add situational awareness, but costs will go up. There will always be nuts and stupid people who have access to firearms. Until the Second Amendment is repealed, we have a right to carry firearms.

Jim Phillips 2 years, 3 months ago

What many of you have failed to realize is that Kansas has been an open carry state for many, many years. Anyone who wants to strap a gun on his hip and walk the streets is perfectly legal in doing so unless open carry is restricted by county resolutions or city ordinances. And still, there have been no Dodge City shootouts!

Maybe you anti-gunners should find something legitimate to be concerned about. We will worry about whether or not our guns are in jeopardy, and in doing so, we will also make sure the rest of the Bill of Rights stays in tact too.

jonas_opines 2 years, 3 months ago

Has anyone else ever thought that articles on common hot-button topics should just be linked through somehow to the comment section on the last article on that topic, so that everybody could just scroll through the endless repetition of the same people saying the same thing over and over again? Guns, abortion, Koch, those things? It would make things much simpler.

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 3 months ago

I think I am also much more careful since I got my CCL.

The training gives you the opportunity be prepared for emergencies and to be a good citizen.

You learn how to be alert and avoid being a victim.