Archive for Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Record numbers apply for concealed carry licenses

July 17, 2012

— A record number of people applied to carry concealed weapons in Kansas during the last fiscal year.

Attorney General Derek Schmidt says more than 12,408 people sought a Kansas license to carry a concealed firearm during the fiscal year that ended June 30.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that's a 24 percent increase over the approximately 9,400 applicants for concealed weapons in fiscal year 2011. The concealed carry program in Kansas began in 2006.

The attorney general also says the number of first-time permit applications his agency received averaged 49 each work day and didn't' include applications for renewal of existing permits.

There are more than 44,000 existing concealed weapons permits that have been issued in Kansas.

Comments

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 9 months ago

I think I am also much more careful since I got my CCL.

The training gives you the opportunity be prepared for emergencies and to be a good citizen.

You learn how to be alert and avoid being a victim.

jonas_opines 1 year, 9 months ago

Has anyone else ever thought that articles on common hot-button topics should just be linked through somehow to the comment section on the last article on that topic, so that everybody could just scroll through the endless repetition of the same people saying the same thing over and over again? Guns, abortion, Koch, those things? It would make things much simpler.

Jim Phillips 1 year, 9 months ago

What many of you have failed to realize is that Kansas has been an open carry state for many, many years. Anyone who wants to strap a gun on his hip and walk the streets is perfectly legal in doing so unless open carry is restricted by county resolutions or city ordinances. And still, there have been no Dodge City shootouts!

Maybe you anti-gunners should find something legitimate to be concerned about. We will worry about whether or not our guns are in jeopardy, and in doing so, we will also make sure the rest of the Bill of Rights stays in tact too.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 9 months ago

I have a concealed carry permit. I have yet to use it walking around strapped with heat. I do carry a weapon in my vehicle sometimes on long trips. I always check to make sure I am in compliance with state law I am passing through. When hiking I carry a weapon in a pack if it is legal to do so. Usually with snake shot loaded in the first chamber. Not a member of the NRA. I don't like Romney and have doubts about the President. I have been around firearms all my life. The training for concealed carry could be improved, add situational awareness, but costs will go up. There will always be nuts and stupid people who have access to firearms. Until the Second Amendment is repealed, we have a right to carry firearms.

rockchalker52 1 year, 9 months ago

I watched my friend, Gus, practice shooting. He had a 100% accuracy rate because he shot first, then named whatever he hit as the target.

Centerville 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm assuming that a lot of people aren't bothering with the permit (which may turn out to be registration in disguise) and getting trained and armed without inviting the bureaucracy. The ammo market has grown at a much higher rate than the permit app rate.

Devon Kissinger 1 year, 9 months ago

"Sounds about right. I have ZERO problems with guns, it is the people who MISuse them that muck things up"

There, fixed it for you somedude20

Flap Doodle 1 year, 9 months ago

It was really hot yesterday. How hot was it? It was so hot that Eric Holder was smuggling water pistols. (from a Jay Leno source, IIRC)

Flap Doodle 1 year, 9 months ago

In under-reported news, millions of American gun owners had an uneventful day yesterday. Tens of thousands of Americans legally and safely carried concealed firearms. Abuse does not negate use.

somedude20 1 year, 9 months ago

Drunk redneck wannabe cowboys will do just what this fool did: "The unfortunate fella told cops that he bought the gun in Kansas and planned on selling it in a convenience store parking in the city. Before arriving at his destination, Colbert pulled over into a parking lot to check if the gun was working properly. It was. As Colbert, 36, pulled it out of the case, he accidentally squeezed the trigger and pop himself dead smack in the Johnson"

Sounds about right. I have ZERO problems with guns, it is the people who use them that muck things up

bootlegger 1 year, 9 months ago

Potential victims now carry; they dont run away anymore; they stand their ground; ......

My_Life 1 year, 9 months ago

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Simple.

rockchalk1977 1 year, 9 months ago

With the recent Supreme Court decision, a future Congress could mandate that every American has to purchase a Uzi 9mm or be taxed $2,000/year. That's the kind of hope and change I'm talking about.

Gotland 1 year, 9 months ago

Don’t need to pay to learn how to shoot. Don’t need permission to defend myself.

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 9 months ago

I look at it this way, if I'm with my daughter and a third person then a stranger comes at us with a gun and has the intention of raping my daughter, do I want the third person with us to be Crazy Larry with a gun or Observant standing there crying?

somedude20 1 year, 9 months ago

Go ahead, make my day, I took a class....

Dan Eyler 1 year, 9 months ago

I finished my class a month ago and loved it. Very informative and covers in detail the issues that will get you in big trouble such as the event in Florida. But the single most impressive statement by my instructor was to avoid trouble and be aware. Because at times you may be armed you need to be especially careful to be alert and move away from situations that could cause you to have to use your weapon. But as a last resort, pull your weapon, breath, aim, fire. Don't pull your weapon unless you have every intent to use it. If you pull your weapon and don't use it you violated a serious rules in the CC handbook. The gun is not for threatening people it is to eliminate a deadly threat that's it. I can live with that!

Flap Doodle 1 year, 9 months ago

Regarding the proposed keeping of sample fired rounds from each handgun: it takes less than a minute to change the barrel of a 1911 or a Glock. Zip, pop, new ballistic signature.

DillonBarnes 1 year, 9 months ago

I love the "drive by insult" posters. Get on, post some insult like "coward" or "paranoid" then run and hide and not respond to other posters. I'm always happy to have a real conversation on concealed carry, so feel free to respond or message me if you want to have an honest conversation with a concealed carrier.

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 9 months ago

It doesn't take much to bring out the gun haters.

I definitely feel the politization of this issue is a threat to our liberty. Absolutely.

Sometimes the NRA goes too far. It could hurt us.

pizzapete 1 year, 9 months ago

I've been meaning to get my application in, thanks for the reminder.

Joe Hyde 1 year, 9 months ago

It would add something the social discourse if the Attorney General's office released a statistical breakdown on the firearm types being carried. By that I mean, which calibers are most being selected by permit holders; which makes/models are most often selected?

And I've never asked anyone if the state is doing this: Restrict the permit holder to carrying only those weapons that have been processed and registered with the AG's office. All such weapons required to fire specimen slugs into a water tank, for barrel groove pattern identification, and also have expended rounds collected to obtain firing pin impressions, all of this for possible future crime forensics analysis. The permit holder afterward would be required to carry only the pre-identified weapon(s) but no other under penalty.

Such an evidence collection system would allow for storing in computer memory the critical identificating features of all concealed weapons so registered. Among other benefits, doing this would go a long way toward determining the facts in cases involving all shootings -- perhaps helping immediately clear a permit holder wrongly accused of illegally using the weapon.

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

"Gun nuts" - In my book that's the folks that don't like 'em. I prefer "Weapons enthusiast" for myself

tomatogrower 1 year, 9 months ago

I got one to protect myself from the gun nuts.

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

Guess I'm gonna have to dust off my paperwork and send it in . . . gee, I don't feel like a coward.

John Kyle 1 year, 9 months ago

Over 12,000 applied for concealed weapons. I didn't realize there were that many cowards in Kansas.

tbaker 1 year, 9 months ago

When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.

Good point about the looming UN treaty. Dingey Harry and a bunch of sore loser lame duck statist liberal senators would jump at a chance to vote for this one-world tyranny.

rockchalk1977 1 year, 9 months ago

The UN and global gun banners have stepped up their attack on our Second Amendment freedoms by including civilian arms in the proposed Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) . As called for in a resolution adopted by the UN General Assembly, a conference began recently in New York City to draft the ATT's language. The ATT is one of the most serious threats to American gun owners in decades. Fifty seven senators signed a letter to Obama and Hillary Clinton reminding them that the Senate has final say on treaties, and stating their unequivocal opposition to any treaty that would affect civilian ownership of firearms, challenge the authority of Congress to regulate firearms within the United States, or call for an international gun registry. If little Barry wins this election, he's coming after your guns folks.

1029 1 year, 9 months ago

Uh....have you ever carried a gun? It feels AWESOME! It can make a person feel so cool and powerful that I'm not at all surprised by these numbers. With such rough times and so many things that can make us feel small and insignificant--low-paying jobs, the mexican invasion, the war on religion, etc--holding a gun can be a real boost to self-esteem. I sure do wish that some of the elitist bullies from my past would try to bully me now!

Flap Doodle 1 year, 9 months ago

Why, look at all the Wild West shootouts in Douglas County between concealed carry license holders in the last year! Oh, wait, that appears not to have happened. Never mind..... (from a licensed source)

observant 1 year, 9 months ago

So, that just proves how many paranoid nutcases live in Douglas County.

hipper_than_hip 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm having trouble remembering the number of CCH applications from Douglas County over the past six years but it's pretty low; I want to say it's only 800 applications or so.

Lynn731 1 year, 9 months ago

We had better hope we can still even have concealed carry if Obama gets re-elected.

infidel 1 year, 9 months ago

I would assume that would have a lot to do with the recent ruling that if you have a CCL, you no longer have to be verified through the ATF's system before you purchase a gun.

None the less I am sure there will lively comments on this as there always is for anything relating to guns.