Archive for Friday, July 13, 2012

One person injured in cross-median crash on Kansas Highway 10 near Eudora

July 13, 2012, 7:06 a.m. Updated July 13, 2012, 4:32 p.m.

A 43-year-old Lawrence man was injured Friday morning in a cross-median crash after his vehicle hydroplaned during heavy rain on Kansas Highway 10 just west of Eudora, according to the Kansas Highway Patrol.

Todd Alan Armbrust lost control of his 2006 Hyundai Sonata at 6:45 a.m. as he was headed in the eastbound lanes of the divided highway. His vehicle entered the median and then K-10’s westbound lanes and struck the passenger side of a 2003 Dodge Neon. The crash occurred about one-third of a mile west of the Church Street exit in Eudora.

Armbrust was taken to Overland Park Regional Medical Center by ambulance. The driver of the Neon, Dustin A. Young, 40, of Eudora, was not injured. Both men wore their seat belts. Division Chief Eve Tolefree, a Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical spokeswoman, said Armbrust’s injuries were not believed to be life threatening.

A hospital spokeswoman Friday afternoon said Armbrust was listed in stable condition.

Kim Qualls, a spokeswoman for the Kansas Department of Transportation, said the crash occurred just outside of a pilot project scheduled to begin next month that will install cable barriers in the median for two miles just east of the Church Street exit. That project was prompted by the April 2011 death of 5-year-old Cainan Shutt when an impaired driver crossed the median and struck the minivan driven by Cainan’s grandfather just east of the Church Street exit.

Qualls said Friday morning weather had caused several accidents in the Kansas City area, and KDOT was advising drivers to take extra precautions, especially because pavement has been dry for so long before heavy rains began falling.

“This is the day when people need to drive a little slower,” she said.

Comments

jerice43 2 years, 5 months ago

Why would you ask that? Are you naive enough to think all accidents are caused by texting?

John Hamm 2 years, 5 months ago

Because around here and on that roadway it's quite common for one reason.

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 5 months ago

Well, almost 30% of accidents involve texting, and the #1 cause of car accidents is distracted driving, so it sounds like kind of a legitimate question to me.

gphawk89 2 years, 5 months ago

My wife got rear ended last month on a straight and level street on a clear sunny afternoon. The driver admitted to texting. It's a perfectly legitimate question/assumption.

Laura Wilson 2 years, 5 months ago

The roads are slippery with oil since we haven't had rain forever.

Curtis Lange 2 years, 5 months ago

Didn't look like a roll over accident. Silver car for sure crossed over (hydroplaned?) and was t boned by a blue Neon. We drove by at 745am.

justforfun 2 years, 5 months ago

Hurry Hurry!! Put up the cable barriers it will protect against unsafe drivers!

gccs14r 2 years, 5 months ago

Just don't hit it if you're on a motorcycle. Can you say tomato slicer?

greywolf85203 2 years, 5 months ago

This is the perfect example of why we need the barriers on K-10 also it would help if people didn't think it was the Indy 500! Its 70 people and if you didn't read the article in yesterdays paper you might want to archive it as they are going to crack down on speeders on K-10, I-70 and 1-35. Get there safe slow down, ignore your phones, use hands free devices if you need to call!

BinxBolloxed 2 years, 5 months ago

Glad to see somebody's speaking some sense!

jenjen 2 years, 5 months ago

It was pouring rain when the accident happened. I think that I passed it heading EB just after it happened. While there are a lot of people that I see texting while driving on K10 I think that this one was probably caused by hydroplaning. Even going considerably under the 70 mph limit is was very slick. I myself had to correct a hydroplane or 2 going through the downpour.

CreatureComforts 2 years, 5 months ago

No no, it MUST be texting! MUST BE!!!!!! All accidents are caused by an idiot behind the wheel...nothing else can go wrong!

squawkhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Surely you exaggerate! Not ALL accidents are caused by an idiot behind the wheel...JUST MOST OF THEM!

Clickker 2 years, 5 months ago

I have been passed twice during a rain storm by folks going > 65 that immediately went into a hydroplane on a wet highway. One of them was on K-10 I am constantly amazed at the speed that people go in wet pavement. The difference between 60 and 75 getting to Olathe on K-10 is about 4 minutes, and thats if you dont run into traffic downstream. Do people really want to get to work 4 minutes quicker? Amazing.

squawkhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Like CreatureComforts said, "idiots behind the wheel".

CreatureComforts 2 years, 5 months ago

Or the people who don't turn on their lights, which seems to be all-too-common in this area. Where I learned to drive, it was a strictly enforced law that was pounded in to you from your first driving license. Here, it seems to be an afterthought and, as a result, dangerous. I've come across many cars going 40 on I-70 or K-10 during storms without lights on and they make it very dangerous.

Curtis Lange 2 years, 5 months ago

Since we're talking idiots, I was amazed at the amount of them without their headlights on in the downpour! Wipers come on, so do the headlights. There is no excuse to not have one's headlights on in inclement weather.

jenjen 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm always amazed by this too. I also can't stand it when I see someone w/ just their parking lights on as if that's going to help people see them better.

Robert Rauktis 2 years, 5 months ago

Both drivers wore seat belts so the carnage was relatively to very mild.

Jean Robart 2 years, 5 months ago

The median cables cannot come too soon! Now if they ever finish I35 northbound, it will be a better way to get to Kansas City.

JerryStubbs 2 years, 5 months ago

Here's from another article here on the LJWORLD website:

"Two accidents, possibly related to the rainy weather, occurred Friday morning on the Kansas Turnpike near the Leavenworth-Wyandotte county line.

No serious injuries occurred in either accident.

The first accident occurred about 7:30 a.m., according to a Kansas Turnpike Authority report. Sarah Updike, 30, Kansas City, Kan., spun out of control in her 2005 Lincoln Navigator while driving west on the turnpike, just west of mile marker 222.

Anthony Mall 2 years, 5 months ago

The only idiots are the ones assuming they know what really happen...

Frederic Gutknecht IV 2 years, 5 months ago

Just a half of a second of over-correcting to avoid a collision can lead to unseen and unfortunate outcomes...but I'm not sure about what I HAVE seen, much less what I've not actually witnessed.